Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PF docs - swelling from Yellowjacket stings?

PF docs - swelling from Yellowjacket stings?

I’m fine, just my face is swollen from an encounter yesterday. I’ve already taken naproxen and I’m not in any danger from the two stings. Just looking to see if there’s anything else I should be taking. I made those fuckers pay, I flooded their ground nest and then started burning them with my propane torch until I could dig up the nest and torch that too. They’re all gone.
    #RESIST

Three fingers of good whisky would be my advice. Every two hours for twelve hours, or until swelling subsides.

Site Supporter
    I'm a fan of hydrocortisone cream for all kinds of stings.

Careful not to get it in your eyes.

** Not a Dr, just a frequent patient.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I carry Benadryl with me as I am almost allergic to the stings. It makes a huge difference for me but not sure it would do much good this long after the event.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I carry Benadryl with me as I am almost allergic to the stings. It makes a huge difference for me but not sure it would do much good this long after the event.
    This. In bad years when they’re thick I’ve been stung a lot. Some Benadryl soon after and time is the only thing I’ve found that works. Even with that, there were a couple of times I took so many stings on the leg I had difficulty walking for a couple of days.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

My wife keeps "normal saline solution" for this purpose as we get stung living out in the country. Amazing how it seems to help, warm it, soak a sponge, keep it on there for 15 minutes. I also like the topical benadryl cream for bites and stings.

I've been hit by yellowjackets multiple times. I had a Doc tell me that the more you get stung the higher the likelihood you could experience an anaphylactic reaction.

Last time I was stung I was at my son's graduation late spring 2020. Due to Covid we were in a parking lot with chairs arranged in family unit groups. There was a crack in the asphalt near my feet. During the ceremony the little bastards came out and went in and up the leg of my pants. At a very inopportune time in the ceremony I jumped up and said I have to go. I heard afterward I ruffled a few feathers.

I made a beeline (no pun intended) for the nearest concealment because I was getting stung repeatedly and I could feel the bastards closing in on my junk. I ended up behind some bushes with my pants around my ankles. After I cleared them out I headed back. I had a number of "what happened" questions as my departure was rather abrupt and looked out of place. When I explained what happened everyone understood.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    ...I made a beeline (no pun intended) for the nearest concealment because I was getting stung repeatedly and I could feel the bastards closing in on my junk. I ended up behind some bushes with my pants around my ankles...
    LOLOL!!!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I've been hit by yellowjackets multiple times. I had a Doc tell me that the more you get stung the higher the likelihood you could experience an anaphylactic reaction.

Last time I was stung I was at my son's graduation late spring 2020. Due to Covid we were in a parking lot with chairs arranged in family unit groups. There was a crack in the asphalt near my feet. During the ceremony the little bastards came out and went in and up the leg of my pants. At a very inopportune time in the ceremony I jumped up and said I have to go. I heard afterward I ruffled a few feathers.

I made a beeline (no pun intended) for the nearest concealment because I was getting stung repeatedly and I could feel the bastards closing in on my junk. I ended up behind some bushes with my pants around my ankles. After I cleared them out I headed back. I had a number of "what happened" questions as my departure was rather abrupt and looked out of place. When I explained what happened everyone understood.
    Had the same thing happen to me 2 days ago.

Luckily mine was a just an angry sweat bee. Not as painful as yellow jackets but it still wasn't much fun.

Growing up when we would get yellow jacket stings my Mom and/or Grandma would mix baking soda and water into a paste and "draw out the poison". I think it was just to make us think they were doing something.

I have been stung in the face several times over the years, especially while mowing and usually in late August/early Sept, I feel for you. Especially if they get behind your glasses. OUCH.

I got hit on my hairline and on the edge of a nostril, both the right side.
    #RESIST

User Tag List