Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Defensive OWL vs REIN

Cloud Defensive OWL vs REIN

I suppose I could have used "and" instead of "vs" but I want to compare and contrast them a bit. Early this year I bought the OWL and have used it a fair amount. The OWL is a heavy duty, extremely powerful WML with a built in switch, designed for carbine use. I really love the light! The whole thing couldn't be easier to set up and use- just mount it where you want it and tighten down one nut and you're done. No tape switch to place nor any wired to run. To date the only WML that's brighter (that I've ever found) is the REIN. Output is surreal and the color temp is fairly warm for good CRI. The cons? Well, it weighs 10.5 oz with the battery and it's pretty large. It's also not cheap running $375 or so. Lastly there are somewhat limited placement options since you pretty much want the bezel up as close to the muzzle as you can. This works great on most carbines but if you have short arms and really long handguards, like 13"+, it would be a bit of a reach to the switch.

The REIN is laid out more like a conventional WML with a push button tailcap and a wired pressure switch. It does have a very innovative switch cover that helps hide the cable, and the tailcap is set up to run the tape switch into the body from four different positions (12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock) to further minimize dangling cord. I have to admit that getting it installed is about the most frustrating gun thing I've ever done short of maybe reassembling my Ruger MkI. It's a serious PitA! That said, the extra work does result in a very clean and tidy install. And you'll probably only need to do it once unless you transfer it to another gun. It's lighter than the OWL but subjectively bigger; narrower in the body but much longer. And it's not a whole lot cheaper. I took advantage of the 4th of July sale @ Rainier Arms (great guys!) and got the light + switch kit for $299 + a few bucks shipping. That said, the included mount is for a 1913 rail so to offset mount it as one typically does for a WML requires a mount. I went with an Arisaka which was another $45. Great mount, though.

Both lights share a very beefy and robust construction. They also were both designed to run only with an 18650 battery. Using CR123a batteries will void the warranty! Both come with a charger and micro-USB cable for that charger. The REIN comes with one battery where the OWL comes with two. Both are built with a very neutral-to-warm emitter with a very high candela beam. IIRC the OWL is rated for 50,000 candela and 1100 lumens. The REIN uses a slightly deeper reflector and is rated at 60,000 cd at 1350 lumens. Both will easily light up trees two full blocks away. If you had either on a rifle I expect shots at night on coyotes would be easy out to 150-200 yards.

I just mounted the REIN and haven't fired the gun with it on yet so these are just preliminary impressions, but I like both. I opted to put the REIN on my PWS and the moved the OWL over to my Bren 805. It's nice being able to move the switch back just a tad on the PWS since it has a 13" hand guard. I could reach the switch when I had the OWL on there but it was a small stretch. We'll see if I leave 'em this way. It would kind of be nice on the Bren to be able to move the bezel out front a few inches which I could do with the REIN. Curiously, where I expected the switch to be thinner in height on the REIN I think it might actually be thicker than the switch portion of the OWL. It feels like it at least. And the OWL has a pressure pad almost 2" long vs the two round buttons maybe 3/4" in diameter on the REIN's switch.

Which is "better"? Hard to say! I need to get some trigger time but just LARPing around the living room they both have advantages and disadvantages. The REIN with its tape switch does offer more placement flexibility than the OWL. On the other hand, the OWL was designed to dispense with the tape switch and exposed wires. I'd say overall that if you have a carbine where the OWL would naturally land in the best spot for both throw and ergos, I'd go with the OWL; it's a bit more elegant, and probably more durable. If you need the flexibility in mounting and that last iota of output then maybe the REIN is the way to go.

I'll post further impressions when I've put some trigger time on them.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Hammertime
    Photos!!!

Thanks for the review.

I thoroughly evaluated the OWL, and for my needs, I chose the full-size Rein for my M4 pattern carbines, and the Rein “micro” (with an offset Arisaka mount) for the AR pistol. The flexibility of the Rein system, including the ability to move the switch as needed, as well as the overall lighter mass weight, worked better for me.

Only downside of the Rein Micro is the relative scarcity of the 18350 batteries, compared to the 18650’s in the full-size. The minor difference in output isn’t important. You do give up a lot of sheer runtime length with the smaller battery as well.

I haven’t engaged targets beyond 100m with either setup, but they do provide usable light on contrasting targets to at least 200.

One thing for sure, they really blow away the performance levels of previous lights I have worked with, such as 300 and 600 series Surefire Scouts.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 07-14-2021 at 08:37 AM.

I like my Reins a lot, just wish I got the 18350 version or that they were slimmer. I would otherwise have gotten rid of my modlite plhv2 but I keep that as a lightweight, slim option.

I suppose it depends on what you’re doing. If you’re doing a night class, you will definitely need to pack spare charged batteries for the Micro, with about 1/3rd the run time on the 18350. For general use, varminting, or whatever, the Micro is a great option.

I will say you’re not giving up much at all in terms of reach and candela with the Micro, but you’re really giving up runtime. Not an issue for normal use, but again, if training, it’s a slight issue.

One thing I’ve noticed is the one Micro I have has a noticeably whiter color temperature than either of my regular Reins. Still not as white as a Modlight or similar, but definitely whiter.

Interesting! I've never seen the REIN Mini. After seeing how large the full sized REIN is I briefly thought to myself maybe I should have got the Mini but really the weight isn't bad nor does it get in the way at all. It's hard to imagine buying any light that doesn't offer at least one full hour of full output, be it a hand held or a WML. Run time isn't at the top of my list but it's like the gas tank for a car- no point even considering one if it only has a 2 gallon tank! For home defense gun it probably wouldn't matter if run time is shorter; on the other hand, a home defense gun isn't going to be carried for hour either so particular need to keep it super compact.

The term "game changer" gets tossed around maybe a bit too much for but me the Cloud Defensive lights really are. In many ways I still think the OWL is the best thought out and unit and is unique on the market. But both of them are great lights. I'd love to see a WLM from them designed from the ground up for a sidearm. I feel that's an arena ripe for an innovative new approach.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Interesting! I've never seen the REIN Mini. After seeing how large the full sized REIN is I briefly thought to myself maybe I should have got the Mini but really the weight isn't bad nor does it get in the way at all. It's hard to imagine buying any light that doesn't offer at least one full hour of full output, be it a hand held or a WML. Run time isn't at the top of my list but it's like the gas tank for a car- no point even considering one if it only has a 2 gallon tank! For home defense gun it probably wouldn't matter if run time is shorter; on the other hand, a home defense gun isn't going to be carried for hour either so particular need to keep it super compact.

The term "game changer" gets tossed around maybe a bit too much for but me the Cloud Defensive lights really are. In many ways I still think the OWL is the best thought out and unit and is unique on the market. But both of them are great lights. I'd love to see a WLM from them designed from the ground up for a sidearm. I feel that's an arena ripe for an innovative new approach.
    This is how I feel with the Rein

How's the beam color on the REIN vs. the OWL?

I have the OWL on my Rattler and absolutely love the beam color and color rendering of it. I wanted the OWL for that gun, because it swaps out easily for when I swap handguards. But the lighter weight of the REIN Micro is tempting for doing shotgun duty.

__

Cloud Defensive announced yesterday on IG that their pistol light is coming hopefully before end of year. Will fit in both TLR1 or X300 compatible holsters.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've had 4 OWL's. They've all worked admirably, and all had the pros and cons mentioned elsewhere - weight, and not many options with switch placement.

In my very brief experience, the REIN is a better option on longer barreled weapons than the OWL*. There's quite a bit more modularity with light and switch placement.

My only immediate observation, and with a sample of one, is that the momentary switch is much less forgiving than the OWL. With the REIN you have to find the "sweet spot" and press straight down. It's much less forgiving than any of my OWLS, or Streamlights I've had. Likely easily remedied by LARPing around my basement for a bit, but it is a noticeable difference. And again, a sample of one.

I'm not qualified to get into the technical details of throw, spill, etc. The OWL, REIN, PLHv2, HLX, and others do a well enough job of lighting up my treeline 100 yds away. You will "flash" yourself bouncing the Modlite off a close interior wall, the Cloud's do not seem as offensive. Although you'll know what you did if you shoot it straight into a mirror or glass.

*If you care to, you can place the switch significantly further back than the light itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    This is how I feel with the Rein
    Yeah, the REIN is amazing as well. Each has certain advantages. I do like the bombproof build and ease of setup with the OWL but the flexibility of the REIN is nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    How's the beam color on the REIN vs. the OWL?

I have the OWL on my Rattler and absolutely love the beam color and color rendering of it. I wanted the OWL for that gun, because it swaps out easily for when I swap handguards. But the lighter weight of the REIN Micro is tempting for doing shotgun duty.

__

Cloud Defensive announced yesterday on IG that their pistol light is coming hopefully before end of year. Will fit in both TLR1 or X300 compatible holsters.
    In my small sample size of two, both seem to be pretty comparable. Both in the neutral/warm category. About the only lights I've used with a more subjectively nice color are the older Elzettas and the Malkoff M61N.

I had no idea they were doing a pistol WML! Not being an IG or FB type of guy I guess I miss out on a the news sometimes. But now I'll be on the lookout!

User Tag List