Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloud Defensive OWL vs REIN

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post

My only immediate observation, and with a sample of one, is that the momentary switch is much less forgiving than the OWL. With the REIN you have to find the "sweet spot" and press straight down. It's much less forgiving than any of my OWLS, or Streamlights I've had. Likely easily remedied by LARPing around my basement for a bit, but it is a noticeable difference. And again, a sample of one.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that part although I touched on it a post elsewhere. The OWL has a long "bar" type switch that if depressed anywhere will activate the light. The switches on the LCS/REIN are round and about the size of a dime! Much less forgiving than the OWL or even other tape switches common to other brands. I think they really missed an opportunity to widen the gap between themselves and the competition but it's not so bad as to constitute a fatal flaw (especially since there's still the tailcap switch as a backup). But you're 100% right on that one, it takes a bit more training/LARPing in the basement!
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    How's the beam color on the REIN vs. the OWL?
    I'm hardly qualified to say on way or the other, but they seem nearly identical for output and warmth.

Once again, sample of 1 REIN compared to 4 OWL's. But FWIW it seems like a nearly identical light , with a fair bit more modularity in switch placement (and 3 oz lighter).
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 07-16-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I have to admit that getting it installed is about the most frustrating gun thing I've ever done short of maybe reassembling my Ruger MkI. It's a serious PitA! That said, the extra work does result in a very clean and tidy install. And you'll probably only need to do it once unless you transfer it to another gun.
    I learned the hard way that the easiest way to install the REIN switch chassis is to fully assemble it OFF THE RAIL, with the tailcap out of the light body, then back out the screws to keep it assembled but loose- figure out your wire run and rail location, tuck the cables into the chassis slots as needed for your chosen run, and then snap the loosely assembled chassis onto the rail (there is *just* enough thread length to allow this on the pic rails of a Wilson AR and a Knight’s RAS- others may vary slightly)

Otherwise, you have to have the extra hands of a Hindu god to get it done.

This made my first 30-minute struggle with the first one I installed into literally a 3-minute breeze for the next two.

Yeah, that's probably the way to go. If I wind up getting another one I'll try it that way.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Cloud Defensive is running a trade-in program, seems interesting: https://www.clouddefensive.com/trade-in/
    Wow! That's a pretty awesome deal! Thanks for the heads up.

User Tag List