Thread: 17 design and manufacturing - ar-15 integrated folding lower receiver

17 design and manufacturing - ar-15 integrated folding lower receiver

Brownell's has these on a flash sale for less than the price of a LAW folder.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod138643.aspx

Does anyone know anything about them? I ass-u-me that the receiver is made of 7075-T6 since the 17 Designs page had a pic of a lower in a CNC and the AIM Surplus page listed material as aluma-nin-ium, but not which kind:

https://aimsurplus.com/17-designs-if...ower-receiver/

I am curious, because, Brownell's said All wearable parts are made from S7 tool steel which leads to extreme wear resistance and corrosion resistant coatings ensure your IFLR stays mint for years to come.

Has anyone seen one in the wild? I have a couple of LAW folders and have generally been happy with them, is this the same design built into a receiver?

Thanks,
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Brownell's has these on a flash sale for less than the price of a LAW folder.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod138643.aspx

Does anyone know anything about them? I ass-u-me that the receiver is made of 7075-T6 since the 17 Designs page had a pic of a lower in a CNC and the AIM Surplus page listed material as aluma-nin-ium, but not which kind:

https://aimsurplus.com/17-designs-if...ower-receiver/

I am curious, because, Brownell's said All wearable parts are made from S7 tool steel which leads to extreme wear resistance and corrosion resistant coatings ensure your IFLR stays mint for years to come.

Has anyone seen one in the wild? I have a couple of LAW folders and have generally been happy with them, is this the same design built into a receiver?

Thanks,
    On the Q&A page it says that only the latch is S7 tool steel. IDK if you’d have to contact the manufacturer or if brownells could tell you what aluminum the lower is made of, but they did say it’s a billet.

ETA: other than that I’ve never even seen them. Looking at the q&a they use a proprietary buffer that isn’t standard AR or LAW compatible.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

In theory, I like this idea better. In my world, every joint is a potential failure point. However…
    1. It appears to be billet? Not a fan
    2. In this case, joints may be failure points but they’re also service points, meaning that if your LAW fails (but doesn’t damage the lower) you still have a lower. If this fails it’s far more likely to be irreparable.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I saw the same flash sale.

I’m intrigued, but am put off by the proprietary buffer. Since each AR I own has a different-weight buffer, it doesn’t give me faith that I could just slap an upper on there and be GTG. And then the buffer becomes a fixed, rather than a variable item when tuning.

Here is the contact page for 17 Design.

https://www.17designandmfg.com/contact/

You also might be able to find out the answers to your questions on their Facebook page if you are so inclined.

They are located in OKC and I have toured their manufacturing facility for a group buy on lowers they did for the members of a local gun forum.

I don't remember the details or specs on the folding lower but I do know they recently came out with different weighted buffers for it that are at Brownell's.

I saw those on AIM…

While I like the concept, the proprietary buffer is a no-go for me. Too much difference from the AR for not as much benefit. LAW folder doesn’t require a different buffer, just an insert in the carrier.

It took me awhile to get comfortable with the LAW, but I am happy with it. I’m not a fan of the gun being out of action until I unfold the brace/stock. But considering I’m going into suppressor territory, it is a huge benefit to reduce the OAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    On the Q&A page it says that only the latch is S7 tool steel. IDK if you’d have to contact the manufacturer or if brownells could tell you what aluminum the lower is made of, but they did say it’s a billet.

ETA: other than that I’ve never even seen them. Looking at the q&a they use a proprietary buffer that isn’t standard AR or LAW compatible.
    Thanks all that replied.

Caballoflaco - my bad I looked at the 17 Design page, and read the descriptions on both Brownells and AIM as well, didn't think of the Q&A.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thanks all that replied.

Caballoflaco - my bad I looked at the 17 Design page, and read the descriptions on both Brownells and AIM as well, didn't think of the Q&A.
    No worries, I’d never seen one before and got interested myself, though I think I’ll stick to law folders for now. But yeah the Q&A is one of those “hidden” kinda things that Brownells usually does really well with, but a lot of companies don’t, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quantity of info they often provided when I first started checking them.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List