Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC Discussion Thread.

UFC Discussion Thread.

I imagine there are a fair number of people here who follow UFC. I'd be more than willing to bet there are a few former MMA fighters and trainers on the board. Yet, our unarmed combatives section isn't very active.

I'm hoping ongoing discussion of the UFC will drive discussion about technique, particular styles, individual fighters and their strong suits. It provides a ton of examples of successfully executed maneuvers and techniques as well as failed. It also shows various timing, distance, footwork, and the like. Some of it may not be applicable in self defense. But the sport for it's own sake is also interesting and valuable. Who are your favorite fighters? What weight class do you enjoy most? Are there any fights coming up you can't wait to see?

Who watched 264? I missed it, but heard the O'Malley fight was astonishing from a coworker. Obviously I've seen the highlights of Poirier vs. McGregor and the leg break.

Watched the prelim's (except for Condits fight) and enjoyed them. Haven't watched any of the main event, yet. I've read about Conors behavior towards Poirer and his family and am pretty disgusted by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Watched the prelim's (except for Condits fight) and enjoyed them. Haven't watched any of the main event, yet. I've read about Conors behavior towards Poirer and his family and am pretty disgusted by it.
    He's a lowlife douche. He needs to go away or be put away.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    He's a lowlife douche. He needs to go away or be put away.
    Agree. Don't know how he got roughly 5X the money for this fight vs. Poirer. I guess it's more about notoriety than skill. I hadn't heard about the controversy with Poirer's family. Will have to dig for that when I have a chance.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Will anyone ever defeat Valentina again?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I imagine there are a fair number of people here who follow UFC. I'd be more than willing to bet there are a few former MMA fighters and trainers on the board. Yet, our unarmed combatives section isn't very active.

I'm hoping ongoing discussion of the UFC will drive discussion about technique, particular styles, individual fighters and their strong suits. It provides a ton of examples of successfully executed maneuvers and techniques as well as failed. It also shows various timing, distance, footwork, and the like. Some of it may not be applicable in self defense. But the sport for it's own sake is also interesting and valuable. Who are your favorite fighters? What weight class do you enjoy most? Are there any fights coming up you can't wait to see?

Who watched 264? I missed it, but heard the O'Malley fight was astonishing from a coworker. Obviously I've seen the highlights of Poirier vs. McGregor and the leg break.
    The O'Malley fight was certainly spectacular, but not because of his performance. The guy he faced was a no name who took the fight on short notice, and basically went the distance. His fight with Chito Vera showed what would happen when he faced a legit top 15/top 20 contender at this point in his career. His unwillingness to accept it as a loss showed his true character. His callout of Rob Font and Cody Garbrandt was laughable. The guy he faced was gangster af.

The best outcome for Conor was to break his leg like that. He was getting mauled and would have been stopped in the second round. It gives him an out so to speak. Two judges scored the round 10-8 for Dustin, the other was 10-9 for Dustin.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Will anyone ever defeat Valentina again?
    In her weight class, no not for some time. She'll need to start getting older and fading before anyone in there now has a chance. If she moved back up a weight class and fought Nunes again, that's her only real competition, but a lot of people believe Valentina at this point in her career could beat Amanda.

Site Supporter
    From a self defense standpoint, the biggest eye opener for me was Ryan Hall's loss to Topuria.

BJJ is great for a great many things, and Ryan has used it "in the streets" so to speak, but there's a difference in what works against a drunk asshole (the more likely occurrence) and what works against a dude like that. Hated to see Ryan get KO'ed, and the fact that he broke his hand early in the fight might have had something to do with his bizarre strategy of spamming leg entanglements...but you gotta have some way to set up your game...whether with strikes or wrestling, because eventually the other guy is gonna get wise to it.

I say this as a huge fan of both Ryan and BJJ.

As for Dustin Poirier, he seems like a class act, through and through. Donating loads of money to charity, showing support to a fan of his who is fighting cancer. I hope he has nothing but success and happiness.

Very clear difference between him and the guy he's now beaten twice. Trilogy over, it's a wrap.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    The O'Malley fight was certainly spectacular, but not because of his performance. The guy he faced was a no name who took the fight on short notice, and basically went the distance. His fight with Chito Vera showed what would happen when he faced a legit top 15/top 20 contender at this point in his career. His unwillingness to accept it as a loss showed his true character. His callout of Rob Font and Cody Garbrandt was laughable. The guy he faced was gangster af.
    That's pretty much the co-workers take as well. He said O'Malley was beating the tar out of the guy... and he wouldn't go down. The quick google search I did said he landed like 70% of his strikes, so seems like the more or less unknown dude took it Rocky I style.

I was hoping to see a win for Ryan Hall, because he's known as a Jiu Jitsu guy. But seems like he's too dedicated to rolling into 50/50 type stuff.

I really need to get my ass to some Jiu Jitsu. But stuff like that is a reminder it isn't the whole puzzle.

I only watched the prelims. But I like seeing "mixed" martial arts when I watch MMA. The guys who do the one trick pony stuff, yeah, it sucks to see them get laid out when they're good guys, but you've got to keep your opponent off balance, rather than invite him into your kitchen.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I’ve fought professionally against plenty of regional guys and Bellator fighters as well. Most of my training was at a Gracie affiliated gym, where I earned my BJJ belts from Royce himself. Once I started competing in MMA, I started commuting to various gyms to train boxing and find guys that could spar with me and push me.

BJJ alone is definitely strong enough for self defense against almost anyone. It’s just different in MMA because the other guy also trains BJJ at a high level and has spent the last three months specifically working on ways to counter his opponent. It’s just a very different scenario and can’t really be compared. For self defense I’d recommend some boxing, learning how to shoot a good double-leg, and really studying BJJ to the best of your ability… if limited to one, BJJ all day.

If anyone has any specific questions about MMA, the process, etc. I’d be happy to answer. Just please no arguing with me about how some mysterious ancient art is more deadly than MMA, because that’s why I stopped posting in here in the first place.

User Tag List