Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR15 A2 options?

A few of my coworkers bought WW guns… I guess being in ME, they sort of are everywhere. We had a manufacturer in NJ that built ARs, but I really didn’t have the desire to buy one when I was down there (nor do I now). The dealer that is processing my suppressors has a wall of WW somewhat consistently.

Personally, I’ve never heard of any complaints of reliability or quality. Only complaint I heard was one guy ordered a pistol… and the price went up between order and available for pickup (was due to the part shortage, but he still bought it). Took a few months longer to make, but eventually got it. They supposedly have a nice indoor range.

I did not buy one… mine tend to be home builds or kits. Stern 9mm build, Macon Armory D/I .45, and PSA 11.5” kit. The PSA is a good buy, but mine had to go back to PSA to straighten the front sight block… rear sight was almost all the way to the left to zero. Now, it is close to centered.

While I really don’t see myself buying another AR in the near future, I sort of want to get one of their Dissipator rifles. Just something different, I guess.

There is a neighboring agency that bought a few Windham 11.5" carbines for use on a regional SWAT team. One of the users asked me to install a free float hand guard as they did not have an armorer to do so, so I got to see the innards and construction a bit more than I would otherwise. It was well enough assembled- barrel nut appropriately timed and tight using anti-seize; pins appropriately placed and tight, etc... A few things I did not like- commercial spec buffer tube with loc-tite'd castle nut, Hbar profile barrel under M4 style plastic hand guard, and press fit straight/non-taper pins for the FSB. The only way I was able to get the FSB pins out involved judicious use of a 2.5lb sledge and destroyed at least one punch.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I had an HBAR Oly at work that I just knew one day would fail, but it never did. Very accurate, on par with my WOA Service rifle (with irons). I would have liked to have bought it when I retired.

I know, an example of one......
    I had a pre 94 ban A2 that had an improperly assembled rear sight but one that was fixed shot/ran well but I’ve seen enough other BM’s with issues that I know it was not the norm.

About 2001ish, we traded our Mini30 patrol car guns for ARs. I recall being told Colts were about 9 months out, but the Bushmasters were quickly available. Not knowing then what I’d later learn, I ordered the Bushmasters. I think over the next several years I replaced one BCG- I swapped it out and the gun then ran fine. The gas keys weren’t staked, and neither were the castle nuts. We later got a Colt SBR and I was able to see what a properly assembled AR looked like. Rob’s famous chart was a big help back then too.

Since were on the topic of rifles (20"), is there a decent free float system that uses the factory barrel nut and doesnt require removing the front sight base to install? The older DD Omega quad rails were the ones I became aware of several years ago, but they stopped making the 12" rifle version, it seems most 12" rails now are meant for shorter barrels and have a sight cutout.

So, anything freefloat thats worthwhile, not crazy expensive, and uses a factory barrel nut? Id even be happy with one of the antique versions of the Omega with the quad rail, but they seem to have evaporated.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Since were on the topic of rifles (20"), is there a decent free float system that uses the factory barrel nut and doesnt require removing the front sight base to install? The older DD Omega quad rails were the ones I became aware of several years ago, but they stopped making the 12" rifle version, it seems most 12" rails now are meant for shorter barrels and have a sight cutout.

So, anything freefloat thats worthwhile, not crazy expensive, and uses a factory barrel nut? Id even be happy with one of the antique versions of the Omega with the quad rail, but they seem to have evaporated.
    Most Bestest:

Centurion Arms C4 rail
    https://centurionarms.com/rail-systems/

*Centurion C4 12" rail (picatinny) currently in stock at Brownells
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod53957.aspx

Current Brownells discount codes
    https://gun.deals/content/brownells

Good stuff:

Midwest Industries
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...loat-s/327.htm
    Last edited by tango-papa; 07-14-2021 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    So, anything freefloat thats worthwhile, not crazy expensive, and uses a factory barrel nut? .
    I have been really happy with the Centurions, Colt has been using them on factory rifles like their EPR and the 6960 CCU. Sorta pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I ordered the Bushmasters. I think over the next several years I replaced one BCG- I swapped it out and the gun then ran fine. The gas keys weren’t staked, and neither were the castle nuts.
    Not sure I understand - did you stake everything, or did they run okay for several years of patrol use with the exception of the one BCG?

I once did a selectfire rifle course for an agency SWAT team that had just received Bushmasters. I told them to make sure the rifles were zeroed to the user and functional. Of course they didn't do that and a couple of the rifles consistently had FTEject double feeds. They called BM and BM over-nighted new bolts for the dozen rifles.

The agency gave me a way cool BM hat that I wore as a range cover until I learned more. Still have it some place, a cool hat, but can't be seen in public with it.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 07-15-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Not sure I understand - did you stake everything, or did they run okay for several years of patrol use with the exception of the one BCG?
    One or two started having problems that I fixed by staking so I went ahead and staked the rest. One had a castle but work loose so I staked all of those also.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    There is a neighboring agency that bought a few Windham 11.5" carbines for use on a regional SWAT team. One of the users asked me to install a free float hand guard as they did not have an armorer to do so, so I got to see the innards and construction a bit more than I would otherwise. It was well enough assembled- barrel nut appropriately timed and tight using anti-seize; pins appropriately placed and tight, etc... A few things I did not like- commercial spec buffer tube with loc-tite'd castle nut, Hbar profile barrel under M4 style plastic hand guard, and press fit straight/non-taper pins for the FSB. The only way I was able to get the FSB pins out involved judicious use of a 2.5lb sledge and destroyed at least one punch.

I have found that a using a big 14” X1” tapered to 3/8” punch and a lighter hammer swung faster will loosen the tightest FSB pins better than a heavy hammer.

I hold the barrel right in front of the FSB with barrel blocks in a vice and support the other side with a big block of cross tie I cut to the height of my vice.

User Tag List