Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red vs. green for bright sunlight

Red vs. green for bright sunlight

For those who have tried Holosun's red and green optics, which do you prefer for bright sunlight? I've seen mixed reviews with some saying the green shows up better, while others say the red is brighter overall. Any consensus? Here in Phoenix I keep my Acro at 8/10 and I think my T2 is set at 10/12; anything lower means I have to hunt for the dot in the daytime sun.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Green shows better for me, but I'm color blind (actually color deficient) for red. That's likely why you're getting conflicting info, people see colors differently and I think some level of color blindness is fairly wide spread.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Green shows better for me, but I'm color blind (actually color deficient) for red. That's likely why you're getting conflicting info, people see colors differently and I think some level of color blindness is fairly wide spread.
    I am the same.

Edit: I looked it up - protan color deficiency. We have trouble seeing red designs in a field of other colored dots on eye tests. Which in layman's terms means red against various backgrounds may not show up as well as green does.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 07-12-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This right here.

I pick up green much better than red because of how my eyes work. So I greatly prefer green optics. I have to use more power on red optics to see them reliably in bright light.
    3/15/2016

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    No experience with Holosun but I pick up green much better. Not saying it is better, just works better for me.

If Holosun is like Trijicon, the battery life for green is significantly less. Easily remedied by changing your batteries more often, but something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I am the same.

Edit: I looked it up - protan color deficiency. We have trouble seeing red designs in a field of other colored dots on eye tests. Which in layman's terms means red against various backgrounds may not show up as well as green does.
    Same here. I just bought a green Holosun for this reason but haven mounted it yet so I hadn't give a full answer. I suspect though I will pick it up much better than red.

I find it puzzling that Holosun advertises the same battery life for their green emitter units as the red ones they sell. No other company I am aware of does that- and as far as I know, there are no green emitters that don’t require up to/more than double the forward voltage as red.

Something we've been playing with is visibility of the reticle against various backgrounds when illuminated by a 1000+ lumen handheld and/or WML. In these instances the green seems to hold an edge especially when the optics brightness is a little on the dim side. More experiments are needed but this might be the way to go if artificial light is likely to be used while shooting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Something we've been playing with is visibility of the reticle against various backgrounds when illuminated by a 1000+ lumen handheld and/or WML. In these instances the green seems to hold an edge especially when the optics brightness is a little on the dim side. More experiments are needed but this might be the way to go if artificial light is likely to be used while shooting.

A few thoughts on green vs red. I tested the Holosun green 507 vs red in low sun angles. Green offered no advantage over red.
    I like green in a desert environment. I prefer red in Montana and Alaska, because there is so much green foliage, that red pops more.
    When I was using an ACOG, the green was too bright in the southwest sun, and I needed to tape over part of collector on top of the optic. With a visible green laser like the TLR-8AG, a red optical dot makes it easier to differentiate optic from laser.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few thoughts on green vs red. I tested the Holosun green 507 vs red in low sun angles. Green offered no advantage over red.
    I like green in a desert environment. I prefer red in Montana and Alaska, because there is so much green foliage, that red pops more.
    When I was using an ACOG, the green was too bright in the southwest sun, and I needed to tape over part of collector on top of the optic. With a visible green laser like the TLR-8AG, a red optical dot makes it easier to differentiate optic from laser.
    As mentioned, we have been playing with the red vs green in areas where illumination is needed like searching a dark building or pointing a pistol at someone wearing dark clothes in reduced light. In these cases it seems the green *might* have an advantage.

More experimentation is needed but this might be something officers and deputies might want to play with as they look at various options for duty use.

User Tag List