Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Widespread Riots in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    No disagreement with the point you're making.

Something else to note about this film as well is the political undertones which it is made to imply: rebelling against the Russian central gov is not worthwhile. Film is, of course, financed by a Kremlin-owned TV channel. Kind of like Jet Li's Hero, but for Russia.
    I have not seen the whole film, and I know zero about the politics of the filmmakers. And since my Russian is a bit non existent, I can’t even put the scene into context. But I had seen it show and an example of canister shot. So I thought it slightly relevant to the thread.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Opening fire with what? Less lethal? It looks like some are carrying and pointing rifles, but I don’t see any rioters going down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    They appeared very clearly to me to be pump shotguns, being fired at a distance of 100+ yards.

Shotguns with minimal recoil at that, so likely less lethal or birdshot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I saw one AK variant and one AR variant. I was concerned that they were going to be flanked by the clump of rioters massing to their right along that chain-link fence.
    Yeah I was going to say I saw at least one AR, but also didn’t seem to see any dropped rioters. But then I’m also thinking “if you’re the good guy, do you really *want* to be shooting other humans to begin with?”

Am I totally off base with what I’m taking from all of this to be that Muslims and Indians moved into SA and did what the locals can’t/won’t, which is to create decent lives for themselves by working hard, and now the locals are pissed?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    The furious scratching sound you hear is BLM taking notes.

Site Supporter
    The scale of looting and rioting is really something.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1414734425565302786
    Last edited by fixer; 07-13-2021 at 05:46 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yeah I was going to say I saw at least one AR, but also didn’t seem to see any dropped rioters. But then I’m also thinking “if you’re the good guy, do you really *want* to be shooting other humans to begin with?”

Am I totally off base with what I’m taking from all of this to be that Muslims and Indians moved into SA and did what the locals can’t/won’t, which is to create decent lives for themselves by working hard, and now the locals are pissed?
    That would seem to be the gist of it. I've been reading South African Twitter early this AM, and learning tons.
    Apparently the local black populations are also targeting black immigrant businesses, especially Nigerians and Somalis.
    Some of the Indian folks came to SA from Uganda, and they really don't want a repeat of that.

Two black guys from Kwa Zulu/Natal weighed in:

Name:  chrome_screenshot_1626174659642.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  chrome_screenshot_1626174702242.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  40.5 KB

Interestingly, theres also a lot of the same " but its just a business and they've got insurance, so this isn't an injustice or wrong" twaddle that I've heard so much locally in St Paul. Dumbth is a universal human trait, I fear.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 07-13-2021 at 06:25 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post

https://twitter.com/mariamtayob/stat...34425565302786
    It would appear that, much like the “protests” here in the states, this is all more about a free shopping spree than anything else.

I can’t imagine that many people actually give a fuck about the jailed former president…
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

that video reminds me of ants taking food back to the ant mound colony, very efficient. Same idea picking those stores and business clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post

https://twitter.com/mariamtayob/stat...34425565302786

Most of the shotgun stuff you are seeing is rubber. Rubber thats constantly downloaded lest it causes injury.

I have no doubt that there is a degree of this completely the result of Zuma's arrest and I think thats getting masked by the looting. Lots of looters want free shit, but there are elements here who want a fight, and this is the excuse.

Killing protesters will cause the same if not worse reaction here as there, so its a serious last resort. over and above the normal last resort nature of killing humans.

I have reason to believe the "armed citizens" in the one video are police but can't confirm.

There are racial elements getting wound p as well by those with a bone to pick, if you haven't yet, look into Julius Malema.

I'm not going to lie, its hairy here. Everything is eerie and quiet with the very serious possibility of things getting even worse. A few mates living with earshot of the townships report hearing some serious gunfire through the night.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Most of the shotgun stuff you are seeing is rubber. Rubber thats constantly downloaded lest it causes injury.

I have no doubt that there is a degree of this completely the result of Zuma's arrest and I think thats getting masked by the looting. Lots of looters want free shit, but there are elements here who want a fight, and this is the excuse.

Killing protesters will cause the same if not worse reaction here as there, so its a serious last resort. over and above the normal last resort nature of killing humans.

I have reason to believe the "armed citizens" in the one video are police but can't confirm.

There are racial elements getting wound p as well by those with a bone to pick, if you haven't yet, look into Julius Malema.

I'm not going to lie, its hairy here. Everything is eerie and quiet with the very serious possibility of things getting even worse. A few mates living with earshot of the townships report hearing some serious gunfire through the night.
    Thanks for the clarification, and hope that you and yours remain safe.

I understand that eerie quiet too well. May this be brought to an end before much more of the country is consumed.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

I hate her muzzle discipline but admire her spunk. I can't tell if that shotgun is a Striker, or the later improved Protecta model.
    For what its worth, here in SA semi auto long guns are pretty difficult to license. The Striker's clockwork mag made it semi auto in the eyes of the police who can teach the ATF a thing or two about contrived definitions.

The Protecta models sold here didn't have the clock work mag. You cycle the action by rotating the vertical foregrip.

The piece in the picture is more likely to be a Protecta.

User Tag List