Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24H LeMans 2021

24H LeMans 2021

40 days to go to the 89th running of the iconic race, delayed till August 21-22, 2021 this year.

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/

Key changes in the rule structure introduce a new class, LMH (Hypercar), replacing LMP1. Only three teams currently, I would expect Toyota Gazoo to be on top, with another overall win. Apparently the rules changes to entice other major manufacturer's didn't quite have the intended effect.

LMP2 has a broad field, mostly Oreca-Gibsons, and strong competition.

There are currently 8 entries for LM GTE Pro, and 23 in LM GTE Am. Of note are the #63 and #64 Corvette Racing cars. It will be very interesting to see how the new C8's do at the track. Returning are the ever strong Ferrari 488 GTEs, with the GTE Pro field rounded out by another pair of 911 RSR-19s, one from Weathertech racing and one from Hub. Last years GTE Pro and GTE Am winning Aston Martin AMRs did not return for 2021; I've not searched to see why they aren't running. I'll be pulling for the #92 Porsche Factory team, driven by Michael Christensen, Kevin Estre, and Neel Jani.

We had some good discussion last year, hoping for the same again:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ghlight=lemans

I set a reminder on my phone last month since I all but missed it last year.

I haven’t looked into it yet, what’s the major change that makes Hypercar different? Are the hybrids in their own class?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I set a reminder on my phone last month since I all but missed it last year.

I haven’t looked into it yet, what’s the major change that makes Hypercar different? Are the hybrids in their own class?
    Well I’m no expert, there are a few explanations out there, this one is typical. I guess they wanted to have e.g. Porsche Audi Renault etc. to return but that didn’t happen apparently.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/02...ons-explained/

Applying the “balance of performance” regulations to the higher class is an interesting idea. I suppose Porsche, et al will be watching this year and maybe next to see if the benefits the FIA and ACO are selling are really there.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Applying the “balance of performance” regulations to the higher class is an interesting idea. I suppose Porsche, et al will be watching this year and maybe next to see if the benefits the FIA and ACO are selling are really there.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

So does this make a prophet or the blind hog that found an acorn? If I retire today from predicting the future, the world may never know...

21 days to go.

I always liked the start sequence of the 1971 Lemans movie, like the calm before the storm.

Watching the end of a very wet Spa 24h reminds me how much I miss the 90s and 00s when there were several endurance series I could watch on a regular basis on cable. DTM, BTCC, IMSA, etc. Unless I've missed it, I can't believe no one has put together an app or subscription channel where you can watch and follow not on the different series but also different types of auto racing in general. Unless the buy in for TV rights is just stupidly outrageous and the actual market too small to support it.

What next for 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual?

Just over a year ago, the first-ever virtual edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans became the largest online racing event in motorsports’ history and registered a massive viewing audience. With this year’s real-world Le Mans delayed until August, what’s next for the virtual event?

To refresh your memory, the 2020 Le Mans Virtual was held on the date of the originally-planned race date – which had been pushed back to September due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A joint venture between the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, the FIA World Endurance Championship, Le Mans Esports Series and Motorsport Games, it brought together 200 drivers from 37 different countries, racing on 170 simulators worldwide in 50 entries racing around rFactor2’s virtual Circuit de la Sarthe.

About a week to go, race next weekend, scrutineering is underway at the track.

I follow LM GTE Pro, and this is a good class overview:

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/2...-preview-55326

Should be interesting, with the new C8 Corvettes racing for the first time, and a bump in the 911 RSR field with Hub racing going with a Porsche. I am not clear if the 911s will be racing with a 44 lb weight for “Balance of Performance” again this year; I’ll have to learn more about that.

Oh, and

Last edited by RJ; 08-14-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    Watching the end of a very wet Spa 24h reminds me how much I miss the 90s and 00s when there were several endurance series I could watch on a regular basis on cable. DTM, BTCC, IMSA, etc. Unless I've missed it, I can't believe no one has put together an app or subscription channel where you can watch and follow not on the different series but also different types of auto racing in general. Unless the buy in for TV rights is just stupidly outrageous and the actual market too small to support it.

What next for 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual?
    I miss Speedvision a lot. That was the only channel that successfully got anywhere near this goal. Then it became Speed and turned into a bunch of reality shows.

User Tag List