Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Pistol Can to Rule Them All

One Pistol Can to Rule Them All

I need a .45 ACP pistol can. It will be attached to a variety of things, including .45s, 9s, lever guns, 9mm PCC, a Nagant revolver. I would buy multiple cans, but at this point I don't want to have too many Form 4s waiting for approval.

Since it's going to be on several guns, I'm wanting something modular, because I won't need a 12-ounce, 10" can hanging off of a Nagant.

Right now I'm looking at the Rex Silentium SEG H Gen2 (dumb name I know). Which is basically a threaded baffle design like Q Erector/Dead Air Odessa but available in .45. The addition of an end cap that can take wipes is a bonus, in my opinion, since it won't offer the best suppressor compared to other designs or in all calibers. Something that wipes and ablative gel will help with. https://rexsilentium.com/SEG-H-GEN2-...sor-p255703104

That said, I can be persuaded in other directions, but other designs should either be light (<10 ounces) or able to be shortened in some capacity. I guess it should go without saying, but it absolutely must be user serviceable/cleanable.

What are folks leaning towards these days?

I don't have a huge amount of experience with other cans but I have been extremely happy with my rugged obsidian 45. It's silly quiet on the UMP 45 and pretty quiet on my 45 pistols. I put it on my AR9 and it was quiet but not as quiet as the UMP but like I said I don't have any other 9 can to compare it to. It does a decent job on my 10.5 300 BLK too. I've even put it on a couple 22s while I wait for my mask to get approved and it's definitely giggle worthy. It seems pretty easy to clean. It's only rated for subsonic 300 so if you want to shoot other 30 cal rifles with your can maybe not the best choice.

Long config
    Name:  IMG_20210605_180125850.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20210601_155616458~2.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  82.7 KB
    Short config
    Name:  IMG_20210711_111600420.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20210711_111435747.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20210604_162448020.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  43.2 KB

I recommend the Dead Air Ghost or the Rugged Obsidian 45. Those 2 are the current top of the handgun pile in regards to suppression, quality manufacture and both with fantastic factory support.

Will second the Rugged Obsidian. Used mine on everything from pistols to 9mm ARs to a 450 Bushmaster

I’ve done a fair amount of research in this and keep coming back to the Obsidian. Most people seem to prefer Dead Air but the Ghost is pretty big so if the profile of the can matters at all in comparison to its versatility, the Obsidian looks to be very well received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The last time I was interested in one of these, the top dog was the Silencerco Osprey in .45. Thoughts?

pat

I think the Osprey 45 is the ideal pistol can. The offset bore axis allows me to see over the can better than a concentric can. Some pistol sights are still too low, but with several I can see the unobstructed target. Interchangeable pistons allow it to function on a 9mm barrel and the different threads of a 45 barrel. Plus it looks cool because the slab sides match the flats on the slide.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    The last time I was interested in one of these, the top dog was the Silencerco Osprey in .45. Thoughts?

pat
    ...it's THE only option for an HK USP45 Tactical.

Site Supporter
    When I was looking at getting an Osprey .45 I requested some additional testing data from the manufacturer. Within two weeks they had videos up showing 10mm and 9mm going through the .45 can. I like the design, and it is/was lower priced than the two mentioned here.

pat

User Tag List