Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New House Stuff Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Back when I had an agency, I strongly recommended wind rated doors for many of my clients. Straight line winds in the Midwest can easily fold a double wide door. When I bought a new one for my place, the people at Home Depot looked at me like I was an alien for wanting wind rated, but I got it.
    yep, that happens even within Florida. You go to the central/north part of the state, away from the coast, and tell someone you want impact windows and/or doors and they'll look at you like you have three heads.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

a small item that is sometimes overlooked when building or remodeling is, before the sheetrock/drywall is up blocking around the windows for future window treatments may save aggravation down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Back when I had an agency, I strongly recommended wind rated doors for many of my clients. Straight line winds in the Midwest can easily fold a double wide door. When I bought a new one for my place, the people at Home Depot looked at me like I was an alien for wanting wind rated, but I got it.
    Don’t know what the supply chain is like where you are, but we just ordered a new garage door through a local installer and were quoted 12-18 weeks for delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Don’t know what the supply chain is like where you are, but we just ordered a new garage door through a local installer and were quoted 12-18 weeks for delivery.
    This was seven or so years ago, and it was that long then because of the finish, window pattern and wind rating.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Ordered the new Google Nest Doorbell, two of the new cameras, and the Nest learning thermostat with two remote sensors. Nest Wifi is what we're gonna run when we get internet hooked up. I'll probably grab some cheaper cameras for oddball locations, and then supplement with a few more Google cameras once we're moved in. The Nest Floodlight with camera seems appealing, but I need to see what a good LED floodlight would be first before I go and presumably limit myself with the camera attached.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

When it comes to house automation/smart switches - what is a good way to go? I am reading up on Z-Wave vs Zigbee vs WiFi but still haven't decided which is a clear winner.
    My use case is to have smart light switches and a few cameras/motion sensors.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    When it comes to house automation/smart switches - what is a good way to go? I am reading up on Z-Wave vs Zigbee vs WiFi but still haven't decided which is a clear winner.
    We use Leviton Smart wi-fi. Although this is a fairly recent development, and I hadn’t done any myself when I was wiring our homes (which was just a few years ago). Our electrician knows more about it than I do, but at any rate we haven’t had any issues or complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I got on SmartThings a couple of years ago so Amy now pretty well “stuck” for the time being. There is some drama as Samsung bought SmartThings, and is now stopping support, or selling it to someone else… I’m square I have ll of that wrong. Lots of drama on the SmartThings owners page on FB, but my stuff continues to work relatively well. There’s a hiccup from time to time, but generally everything works as it’s supposed to.

I use ours to do things like automate when the patio and tiki and pool lights go on and off, turn off the kids’ bathroom light after they’ve been out of there for X minutes, turn off the kids’ bedroom lights when it’s bedtime, turn off the fan after 15 minutes that the older one keeps turning on…. I guess I use them to regulate the kids a lot haha. We also have it integrated with our Alexa so we can ask her to turn on/off individual lights. There’s supposed to be a way to have her act on groups of lights (“Alexa, turn on the patio group” or something like that) but I have t figured that out yet.

If I was starting over today, I *might* be inclined to just to with Alexa compatible devices that are WiFi based and don’t require a hub (smartthings requires a hub. We actually have two.). But I also don’t know the “cons” of that setup.

One other thing I like about SmartThings, and again maybe other systems do the same, is that I can control a whole group of things, from different manufacturers, but all z-wave, to do something like lick all the doors and turn off all the lights at 10pm sun-thurs nights, which is kinda nice.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    We had been hearing that none of the furniture stores have anything in stock to look at anyway, so we canceled our planned “outing” to look at furniture and instead laid in bed and airplayed the iPad to the tv and shopped online.

Found this guy on Ashley Furniture, with a ship date of 8-12 weeks out. More than we (I) wanted to spend but the cushions match the expensive custom cushions we had made so $1k sofa trumps $600 sofa plus $600 cushions. But that lead time doh….
    https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/gr.../P783-838.html

Copy/paste the title into Amazon, and lo and behold they claim a delivery date of 8/27. So now we have one on the way. If we like it, there’ll likely be a second in the future. I’m not 100% confident in the delivery date, especially seeing as the listing says “Ashley” right in the Amazon title, and there’s a link to “Visit the Signature Design by Ashley Store”, but we shall see.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZV6G87...FZ4HGGGK5ZCZMF

We got the first one in and got it assembled pretty easily and it fit really well so we now have #2 on the way. Pretty stoked about the idea of two, full-size, sofas that both the wife and can lay on once the weather turns (provided we stay home on weekends often enough to do so…)

Xfinity installed Saturday, Nest Doorbell Battery installed, but not wired yet. Two Google Nest Cameras, battery, also set up, but not mounted yet. Doorbell zones set, alerts set, etc. Google Nest Wifi three pack set up as well, with a guest network for the lady doing our wallpaper removal because my wife and I are working ~60 hours a week at our jobs, with other work as well. All in all, save for the thermostat not being charged, it was painless. Thermostat was set up as well, just not to our Google Home app, yet.

Also built my Uplift desk for my office and calibrated that. Super simple.

Amish oak stuff delivered on Monday, just after the carpet was installed. Master bedroom almost done.

Formal living room, soon to be the puppy crate room, is all painted, just awaiting flooring. Need to get a quote for the fancy vinyl plank flooring before determining how our time is best spent.

Living room wallpaper is down, walls to be painted this week. Furniture might be this week, not 100%. Won't be making a stink or asking about delivery until we're ready for it. TV size will be a question, our 55" is likely to land in my office with a 75" for the living room.

Dining room table is here, but it's an old one from my wife's great great grandfather. He saved the tabletop in the Johnstown Flood and it's been passed around for years. I still want something that's a little different, but we can worry later.

Eat in kitchen table will be January we suspect, but we will ask once we move in. We've got options there.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List