Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New House Stuff Discussion

My wife just bought a Flex-Steel couch and chair at Ferguson's at the Ohio Valley Mall in St. Clairsville. I guess it has a steel frame. Should be delivered Tuesday.

They told her if she ordered a Lazy Boy in a color they didn't have in stock, it would take 44 months.

Site Supporter
    My wife and I bought new living room furniture last fall from Rooms to Go maybe? I know its inexpensive based on what we paid but are happy with it and paid a little extra for the three year warranty where they will repair or replace any stains, rips, tears, etc during that time. I figure that should help keep the boys from ruining it and making it look unacceptable for about as long as the wife will be happy with it from a fashion/decorating stand point.

My parents and grandparents made significant investments in furniture as adults and ended up furniture that lasted them the rest of their lives. In the end though, there were a couple of pieces heirs wanted but mainly it was a bunch of borderline worn out furniture that was a couple of decades (at least) out of style and it went to Goodwill.

I'm sure there is a balance of quality/price out there but it does seem harder to sort out.

Most of our stuff came through furniture wholesalers in the Hickory area, and Tyson Furniture in Black Mountain, which reps most of the same lines and delivers to our area.

I think I dropped 11K the first time in there. But the stuff was good. Lane, Thomasville, LA-Z-Boy and some of their subsidiary (all wood) companies for tables, chairs, sideboards etc. Has held up and met the test of time.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We furnished our first home with cheap stuff from Macy's, Havertys, etc. Most of it looked pretty tired after ~5 years. When we bought a new place we used Basset. Much higher quality and we were able to spec the furniture (couch is xx inches long, this fabric, armrests, extra firm cushion, style of back cushion, etc.)

7 years later and the Basset furniture still looks great. No flat cushions, fabric isn't worn. Wasn't cheap, but it was definitely worth it considering how it's held up.

A few years later we also purchased our king bed frame, bookshelf and side tables for our master. Those are similarly in great shape.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    …..

My parents and grandparents made significant investments in furniture as adults and ended up furniture that lasted them the rest of their lives. In the end though, there were a couple of pieces heirs wanted but mainly it was a bunch of borderline worn out furniture that was a couple of decades (at least) out of style and it went to Goodwill.

I'm sure there is a balance of quality/price out there but it does seem harder to sort out.
    Ah yeah, the “style” thing…

My wife and I were super in sync on the house we wanted, and in our taste in flooring, which is a relief. Re: furniture, while we each have input I’m ultimately pretty much in charge of the budget, and she is pretty much in charge of the actual piece selection. So far the only thing I’ve had to push back on was a “that piece is too cheap for the master bedroom, you need to pick something nicer” situation, which from my viewpoint is the nice direction to be in.
    I’m sure I’m going to prefer a more timeless choice of furniture, and she’s going to prefer something more currently in style, and I’m going to ultimately cave and go with what she wants. That’s actually fine for the furniture. The only source of potential friction is the kitchen cabinets; from the 2006 era. I think they are gorgeous timeless wood, my wife thinks they are outdated. I hope I don’t end up spending a bunch of money on something I feel is lower quality than what we currently have.

The Incident of 2010 pretty well wiped me out. Recovered my Mother's cedar chest to have refinished and an iron porch table.
    A friend provided a lot of style support... like everything but the Stressless easy chair.
    Thomasville in LR- DR, Haverty in BR 1, Costco in BR 2 (and probably better made), local outfit iron/glass in breakfast nook.

Ashley looks ok from the doorway, but seems kind of light duty.

Mostly, if I am sitting on it or sleeping on it, I want good quality. Otherwise, I'd just get stuff that looked ok..
    But I don't have a wife.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Milwaukee M18 all the things. What?
    #RESIST

For Ms. Okie, the house is her nest. For me, it’s a patrol base. I let her make the most important decisions, which she backs up with her not-inconsiderable income (and a chunk of mine.) From the long-term view, you will spend a lot more time with your home furnishings than with anything else so it makes a lot of sense to do it right the first time.

We’ve already replaced some things that were bought in haste and we’re not making those mistakes again.

Also, add a zero to whatever you thought your budget was.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My wife and I bought our first house five years ago and for the "soft" furniture (couches and padded chairs) we went cheap from a local discount store. Where we spent serious money was on our dining room table. We went with an Amish-built solid quartersawn oak table, 12 chairs, and an expandable, matching oak, bench that can seat an additional five people. I consider that a "forever" purchase because not only is it very solidly constructed, I also can repair it with readily available oak and basic furniture making tools, all of which I have for my hobby wood-working. I can't stand the thought of paying real money for furniture that can't be repaired with tools I have to hand.

My advice would be to consider what furniture you want to have forever, and what can be disposable, and budget accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post

Yeah, this is the tough thing. I've got a dresser from 1989 that I've used in six houses that was by no means stellar. We've got some Ikea pieces parts that have been almost as many places and look just fine. I can't seem to determine the knee in the curve though and it's making me not wanna spend anything at all. The bedroom set we're eyeing is more or less timeless, not fraught with veneer and particle board, and I've got a hard time wanting to spend what some of the "amish" stuff would cost, as well as going without for 6-10 months that some places are quoting.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List