Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New House Stuff Discussion

New House Stuff Discussion

After quite some time the wife and I finally found a place that's gonna be the almost-forever home. We saved for a little longer and wound up skipping the middle step, and now we enter the realm of having money to buy any furniture, TV, appliances, and so on that we want. What's puzzling to us is if this stuff is worth it. We've had great $500 couches and crappy $1500 couches. What's a good guideline for furniture? We've got an Ashley Furniture store locally that could set us up pretty nicely for a decent price, or we can spend 2-3X that for what appears to be the same. Where's the knee in the cost:value curve?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    After quite some time the wife and I finally found a place that's gonna be the almost-forever home. We saved for a little longer and wound up skipping the middle step, and now we enter the realm of having money to buy any furniture, TV, appliances, and so on that we want. What's puzzling to us is if this stuff is worth it. We've had great $500 couches and crappy $1500 couches. What's a good guideline for furniture? We've got an Ashley Furniture store locally that could set us up pretty nicely for a decent price, or we can spend 2-3X that for what appears to be the same. Where's the knee in the cost:value curve?
    I have some old crap that's lasted over 30 years and good stuff we've had for the 18 years in the house. I prefer to buy the good (not best) stuff.

I think it will tell in more than just looks...but comfort and stability. I haven't really kept up with electronics because I haven't replaced stereo, speakers, receivers in a while and it changes fast. I love my floor standing speakers but I only have them in one room.

Where's it gonna be, Tom? Same area or moving some distance?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

So a brand we looked at for patio furniture was Tropitone. We'd be into around $4200 for powder coated extruded aluminum that by all accounts will last forever. Quick Googling shows folks with 18 year old, and older, furniture they claim to look brand new. That's great, but am I better off buying a few $1000 sets over the next decade? Really tough call. I'm inclined to just buy once, but the price is up there...
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

You're thinking right. Don't waste money on junk furniture on last move. Get Amish Oak or similar quality. Might be better, but in my income range that is adequate. Ashley is not what you want I think.

Watching with interest. I am no where near that yet with four little kids who destroy stuff but someday...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    So a brand we looked at for patio furniture was Tropitone. We'd be into around $4200 for powder coated extruded aluminum that by all accounts will last forever. Quick Googling shows folks with 18 year old, and older, furniture they claim to look brand new. That's great, but am I better off buying a few $1000 sets over the next decade? Really tough call. I'm inclined to just buy once, but the price is up there...
    I think outdoor furniture is a bit different. Will you even want the same stuff in 15 years? Do people pay a severe premium for that brand of used patio furniture? Is there a chance you'll rework your outdoor setup over years (adding space, kitchens, hot tubs, pergolas, pools, etc)?

PV that stuff back to day one, outdoor stuff may be where you're better off paying $1500 every 5 years rather than $4500 right now...

Indoor stuff, we've benefited from well-off grandparents s on wife's side downsizing once or twice and have some older but good quality stuff mixed with kid-friendly cheaper stuff and even some "nicer" things we got second sales. Nice stuff is nice but my wife also likes to re-arrange and we've had kids and dogs and it's a lot less sickitating when a kid dumps grape juice on a couch you didn't pay $3500 for... We're getting to the point we'll be ready to buy our own nicer items as we replace what we've got.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 07-10-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter

New House Stuff Discussion

My wife and I are Having the same discussion/dilemma. Need to buy pretty much entire room worth of stuff for living, dining, family, master bedroom, and patio. All our old stuff is 20+ years old and worn out, not worth the money to cart it 500 miles. Plus the new place is 50% bigger than the old place. I’m feeling clueless figuring out what brands and how much money to spend.

PS: wife is looking for more modern style furniture, if anyone has brand suggestions.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-10-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Teak deck or patio furniture is nice, relatively inexpensive and holds up well to the weather. I guess it all depends on your taste.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    My wife and I ended up at Laz-a-boy after looking at 5-6 different furniture stores. They have a massive selection of fabrics which was good because my wife was looking for a specific color. I think we found the color and type of fabric first then found a love seat we liked. A few months later I called the salesman back and ordered the matching couch.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Outside my lane.

Wirecutter ( used to be independent, now owed by NYT) is as good a starting point for anything that Consumer Reports does not review. Go from there.

Given the fruits of your labor, I would be closer to the buy quality cry once v the intersection of quality and value camo on any furniture purchase.

Hardwood framing made in the USA would likely be my default position absent compelling info to the contrary.

Re the outside stuff, heavier the better? A real warranty? 15 years ago, I spent 1500 ish on some outside stuff at Costco.
    We covered it in the off season. When we moved 5 or 6 years later. We sold it for 650 to the neighbors’s brother and probably left 100 on the table.

Let us know what you do and why you did it.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List