Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Phoenix pistols...

Swiss Phoenix pistols...

I bought a couple of these recently and I'm extremely impressed. Phoenix was started a couple of years ago by the former owner of Sphinx. Their shop is in Interlaken, Switzerland.

They have four models currently, all of which are based on the CZ 75 design:

Fusion - Duty pistol
    Redback - Competition pistol
    Drake - Limited pistol
    Raptor - Open gun

Unfortunately, the Drake and Raptor aren't approved for import yet, but I'll have a Drake as soon as they are. The Fusion is a new and improved Sphinx SDP, while the Redback is a new and improved Sphinx 3000.

The Fusion is available in a Compact, Tactical, or Standard. The Tactical is basically a Compact with some additions. The Standard is the full size gun. All Fusions are a combination of three materials. The slide is steel, the frame is aluminum, and the grip is polymer. Its also available in all black or with an FDE frame and grip. Mine is an all black Standard (ST) model.

The Redback is available in DA/SA or SAO. Its also available in all steel or a couple combinations of steel and aluminum. The Light has an aluminum grip. The Ultra Light has an aluminum grip and frame. They are also available in all silver, all black, or two tone. Mine is a silver, all steel, DA/SA pistol.

Build quality is second to none. I'm fortunate enough to own examples of all the high end pistols built over the past several decades and I would put the Redback right at or near the top of the list. Its certainly nicer than any other high end "production" or semi custom pistol I have in my collection. Even Sig Mastershop pistols and Smith & Wesson PC pistols can't match the quality of the Redback. I have Pardinis, high end CZ's, Alien Pistols, many high end 1911's, and a bunch of others to compare it to. They don't match this gun. That's how good it is.

The Fusion uses less expensive materials and has less machining, but the build quality and fitting is just as nice as the Redback.

I know Phoenix is relatively unknown. They are a small company that only produces a limited amount of guns per month and per year. However, I'm here to say that you won't find a nicer production/semi custom semi auto handgun produced today.

Does anyone else have hands on experience with these pistols?

Enjoy the pics...

CZ 75 compatible magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    CZ 75 compatible magazines?
    Yes CZ mags

I kinda looked at them, and looked at them, and still looking, and haven't arrived to any decision. I was considering getting a Drake to play in Limited but that's contingent on .40 ammo reappearing at decent prices and also being sure I can get support when stuff breaks down because it will. That shop in ND better bring spare mags and parts kits in too.

Tactical / Compact Fusion could've been a nice high-end carry gun in my fave DA/SA format but there are a couple of showstoppers with those for me. At this point it seems like I'll continue to only keep looking at them, they do look nice.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    These are certainly interesting pistols. $4500 suggested retail places them out of reach for many of us. One measure of their value will be prices that people will pay for used ones or what dealers would pay for used specimens. I can visualize some big surprises for those trying to recoup most of their purchase price.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting. Do you have any experience with the CZC A-01 guns? Curious how they compare to the Sphinx.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    These are certainly interesting pistols. $4500 suggested retail places them out of reach for many of us. One measure of their value will be prices that people will pay for used ones or what dealers would pay for used specimens. I can visualize some big surprises for those trying to recoup most of their purchase price.
    I am going to hazard a guess that there won't be too many of these on secondary market. Just because not too many of them are going to get bought in the first place.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    That’s never a problem with guns like this, especially if and when they’re no longer produced. Value will only rise.

There are plenty of people in the high end collector’s market that will drive value up. Happens all the time. I’ve been in the high end pistol market for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Beautiful! Thanks for posting. Do you have any experience with the CZC A-01 guns? Curious how they compare to the Sphinx.
    I actually love my A01-LD. CZC builds some excellent pistols (not to be confused with CZ, because they are different companies). I actually prefer the DA pull of the A01-LD over the Redback. However, the Redback is still on top a notch or two from a quality standpoint.

User Tag List