Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Garand Actions in Haiti

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    By the way they are armed, with a Ruger Mini and an M1A, their boss has to be a boomer that still reads Guns and Ammo

Kinda surprised that isn't a Browning Hi Power on the one dudes hip.
    An M-14 and a Hi Power are way ahead of some tools i can think of for that sort of party.

By the way they are armed, with a Ruger Mini and an M1A, their boss has to be a boomer that still reads Guns and Ammo

Nah, they're not that kewl.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    The Ruger Mini in the photo is mid 2000’s vintage (580 series but still with the pencil barrel). Who knows if the M14 is a legit M14 aid gun or a commercial gun they picked up. As I recall during the 1990s most of their armed forces were still carrying M1 Garands still. So an M14 and Mini seem to be logical guns to add to the mix. We can all laugh at the guy rocking the 14 without the front sight but I recall a fairly well circulated photo of a Marine using his in Nam who was also without the front sight. As a M14 pattern rifle shooter for years, it’s pretty easy to see how this can happen if the rifle isn’t maintained carefully. I also wouldn’t want to be down range of either rifle.

Not sure what these dudes rolls in their nations service are but honestly I’m looking at them an kind of feeling for them. They get what their are given and probably get crap training but they are in the fray doing their job. I’m typing right now from a former Combloc country and have been paying attention to what the local cops and soldiers are carrying and it’s a total mismatch of nylon and shiny leather crap. Only “serious” holster I have seen so far was a Bianchi M12 holster. It’s not that these guys are stupid, it’s just the people in charge of them don’t give a crap about them.

We really have it good here.

If either of those guns were given to them under an aid package, it was a long, long time ago. Our aid packages for failed/faltering governments within the last decade generally include logistical support/training for maintenance, so you shouldn't have missing front sights. The Haitian military was only recently restarted after a 20+ year hiatus. I haven't kept up on Haiti since 2018 and was only mildly exposed to their situation, but I remember something about their new military being unarmed at the time. In any case whether they're Haitian National Police or the new military now armed (if so), those aren't guns we would've been handing out in any recent memory.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I have been watching all this with some interest. They have some pretty old stuff still being fielded. There are a lot of T65's, variations of A1's, Galil's and many others.

It is pretty interesting to see what is still out there. We here in the US are pretty spoiled when it comes to the latest and the greatest.

It is a good reminder that a solid rifle will last a long time.

Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 549
Size:  37.1 KB

As a Boomer I can say, I still like my Mini-14, and M1A a lot. I certainly would not want to be on the business end of either.

Surely you are not suggesting that there is something wrong with the High Power?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by roboster2013 View Post
    As a Boomer I can say, I still like my Mini-14, and M1A a lot. I certainly would not want to be on the business end of either.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting that there is something wrong with the High Power?
    I didn't say anything was wrong with any of those firearms, they are just old tech, but stay on the defense of them as it only proves my point
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I didn't say anything was wrong with any of those firearms, they are just old tech, but stay on the defense of them as it only proves my point
    We hail from a time when ships were wood, and men were steel, and men of steel fought with wood and steel.
    Last edited by roboster2013; 07-15-2021 at 10:54 AM.

They are all old tech. The M16 that we all think of as "modern" is 60 years old.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List