Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RC Lictor AR Magazine Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What are the competitive products to this one, how do they compare, and how are they priced?
    $40 does seem a bit steep for a hunk of injection molded plastic... But it is what it is. If you don't like the price, or the product, you don't have to buy it.

Comp-Tac makes a kydex single AR mag pouch that costs roughly the same as these, last I checked. I own one. The RCS clip might last longer than the built in clip on the Comp-Tac pouch, if you are taking it off and putting it on by slipping it over the belt, vs threading the belt through it. Over the years, I've had a LOT of Comp-Tac mag pouches crack at the bend at the top, where the plastic has to flex. I thread those pouches onto the belt as much as possible now. I have had kydex holsters and pouches crack quite a few times. Comp-Tac used to use bent kydex for their holster belt clips, but eventually started using their current molded plastic clips, as the original kydex ones cracked quite often. The new clips are almost indestructible in regular use.

I was sad when RCS went away from kydex, and started up the molded stuff,because it just looks/feels cheaper, like Fobus stuff. But it honestly makes a lot of sense for anything that needs to flex. Usually its a design issue. Anything made of a hard plastic that needs to flex, is going to crack eventually.

Maybe those old geezers who used leather were on to something...

ETA: If these were priced closer to $20, I'd probably buy one or two to try... At $40, I'm not really interested. RCS does occasionally have some decent sales/discounts, so it's worth watching, IMHO.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    At this point, the ammo inside that magazine is damn near worth $40, so in all honestly how much does the price of the pouch really matter?

We've all spent $40 on way dumber good-idea-fairy shit.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

What are the competitive products to this one, how do they compare, and how are they priced?
    https://blade-tech.com/products/sign...=3975919960092
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Aside from the ones already mentioned, Kytex Gear makes one for $24, unfortunately doesn't appear to be ambidextrous: https://kytexgear.com/product/ar15-mag-carrier/

SKD Tactical has one for $28 that's ambi: https://skdtac.com/ready-tactical-ar...eed-mag-pouch/

Plus of course if one looks at other kinds of pouches than just black plastic there are belt-mounted ones from HSGI, Esstac, Blue Force Gear at around the $35 mark, although depending on the intended use these may or may not apply (I've never handled the Esstac pouches but their belt clips look like they move the pouch further away from the body, I'd imagine the HSGI's might be a tad bulky on the belt as well plus inserting a magazine into one is not always easy, and the Blue Force Gear elastic pouches are marvelous except putting a magazine in the only one I own can sometimes be a bit difficult - so if ease of inserting a magazine into the carrier is a factor, the black plastic ones are probably better for that use).

So the competitive pouches seem to be in the $25 to $35 range. Not really all that far from the one discussed here. And if the material of the RC pouch makes it less likely for the belt clip to crack, that sounds like a good product improvement. I've used several of the Kytex pistol pouches and with those, the belt clip always breaks at some point.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Or if you're a fellow poor, you could get a $10 surplus MOLLE pouch and just mount that on your belt. Not as fancy, leaves something to be desired, but hey - now you have a way to carry a rifle magazine on your belt.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

That's what comes to mind. I checked: I paid $29.99 for mine (new and including shipping) from an Ebay seller in 2015 before heading off to a carbine class, so they sold at least one at that price.

I'll be interested in OP's observations on the Raven pouch. The Bladetech works fine (so I won't be shelling out $48 for a replacement), but it's a little clunky on the belt due to the tension adjustment and to get on/off. Almost 4 inches front to back, and just over 2 inches thick with the Tek lok clip. 5.13oz on cheapo digital scale. I'm not sure how much you could really slim that down, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    https://www.thewilderness.com/magazi...223-mag-pouch/

I do not know where it it is made. Low profile, quiet. Tight grip.
    I've had some of those for ~15 years now. Might be longer. $39.95/15 years is $2.66/yr each. I couldn't tally the number of uses, people that have used them, or experiences with them. I suspect when one eventually fails, Wilderness will even fix it. It's just a widget, but when I think about price I tend to do it this way.

I don't know anything about the Raven pouch, but at that price point there's no reason to think it won't provide a significant use value and reasonable lifecycle cost.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

RCS sent me two of these pouches. Per them, these were designed to fill a need for pouches with a narrower footprint than existing ones, even theirs - they fulfill that requirement. They have at least a third less of a footprint on the belt.

Two weekends ago I taught a CCW skills class and wore one concealed with a full AR magazine in it. I asked one of the gentlemen helping to keep an eye open for printing, etc. He told me it was not obvious. No one else mentioned it.

I'm teaching two week-long carbine classes in the next six weeks. I plan on using one daily while loaning the other to a student in each class. Hopefully, those classes will give me a basis for an opinion on the product.

Probably the closest piece of gear I've seen are the G-code pouches and also this one from FAB:

https://www.fab-defense.com/en/categ...ine-pouch.html

It seems to sell for $18-25 across the web. Amazon actually has it for $18 with Prime which is a tempting buy.

Also interesting is the Mean Gene leather pouch:
    https://www.meangeneleather.com/shop...atent-pending/
    $35 for a leather slide-on, or $41 for leather with a riveted spring steel clip. That actually seems like a bargain when you consider the labor and materials going into the product.

RE materials: no doubt the injection molded resin is superior to Kydex. Kydex is used for its easy fabrication, not its superior mechanical properties. Impact modified PP copolymers are cheap ($0.50-0.75 per lb) and are significantly tougher than Kydex.

What someone should do is combine a molded belt pouch like the RCS or FAB design with a spring steel belt attachment similar to DCC. That would be a durable, slim, and easy on/off design.

I’m happy to pay $40 for something designed and made in the US like this.
    #RESIST

User Tag List