Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: Self defense for a women's office?

  1. #51
    Scheduling client sessions in such a way that no counselor is ever completely alone in the office with a client should be a priority. An alarm system with an audible alarm that dialed in to police dispatch would also be good. I don’t know what the privacy restrictions of the practice would require or limit with regards to video monitoring/recording. If visible cameras are an option, they should be purchased and installed. Maybe at least in the common areas and entrances/exits if they can’t be installed in the individual rooms in which the sessions take place.

    Weapon wise, since guns aren’t an option for your wife right now, a concealed fixed blade knife and OC would be my preference were I in those circumstances. The only way I can think to conceal a fixed blade knife on-body in the kind of attire clinicians wear in such a way that it is accessible while seated would probably be a neck knife. Seated access is important because the client interaction aspect of the job is primarily performed while seated. With your wife being at this stage of pregnancy already, she’ll likely be slower getting up out of a seated position than she used to be.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

  2. #52
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Erie County, NY
    All these plans are fine. Consider this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kathryn_Faughey

    While knives are fine, distance is your friend. Thus, a firearm or OC with training is preferable. Does one's mindset and/or work rules allow such solutions - that's a problem.

    Not arguing against the knife but getting into knife distance, you are not getting out of a clever fight unscathed. Note that the guy who came to help didn't do so well.

  3. #53
    Is it possible to use remote conferencing or phone calls in lieu of in person meetings? Telehealth and psychology today has HIPAA secure conferencing capabilities.

    Safety > revenue growth

  4. #54
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    In the desert, looking for water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    All these plans are fine. Consider this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kathryn_Faughey

    While knives are fine, distance is your friend. Thus, a firearm or OC with training is preferable. Does one's mindset and/or work rules allow such solutions - that's a problem.

    Not arguing against the knife but getting into knife distance, you are not getting out of a clever fight unscathed. Note that the guy who came to help didn't do so well.
    Yup.

    One of the problems here is that this is a “helping profession”. We are there to help the clients, we have empathy for them, we are trained to think of them and regard them in positive, building ways and to help them find solutions to their issues. Protecting yourself is a concern, and it is discussed, but this requires two critical components: (1) the ability to instantly flip a switch from empathetic listening and caring to fighting for your life with absolute determination to win, (2) preparation mentally and physically to use a level of force that will potentially seriously harm another person.

    Most of the providers I know don’t have either of those components in their mental toolkit. Plus, many of us work in places where we are legally forbidden from having any kind of weapon.

  5. #55
    HAS ELECTROLYTES LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Clinic dog? A laid German Shepherd watching things can prevent problems before you even knew they were problems.
    #RESIST

  6. #56
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Erie County, NY
    Duelist has it nailed. I do think a big dog in a therapeutic situation is not going to work. The dog needs care, might be disruptive and intimidating to some. A client gets angry (as for example in a couples session) and the dog reacts?

    A therapist's office, professor's office, etc. - they are not like behind the counter of a store.

  7. #57
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ABQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    There's a difference, I think, between a thug separating a woman from her marker and the same thug beating the shit out of her and then collecting the marker at his / her / its convenience.
    You are probably right, but how is that much different from anything discussed so far? Guns, blades, OC, security guys, dogs, cell phones, hand grenades......

    We are practicioners...without cultivating mindset and training in others we are simply discussing what we think would be the best way to introduce and develop mindset and skills. While the lack of mindset and/or training is a huge problem, I don't want to handicap someone out the gate by telling them that they can't. Does this mean that I am into women's empowerment?

    When it comes to mindset, you fequently have to fake it till you make it. Gotta start somewhere, like we all did.

    pat

  8. #58
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ABQ
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Clinic dog? A laid German Shepherd watching things can prevent problems before you even knew they were problems.
    Getting my Mal laid was not the answer. He still has to be corrected when he gets the bite sleeve slipped and only wants to hump the crap out of it....

    pat

  9. #59

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    You are probably right, but how is that much different from anything discussed so far? Guns, blades, OC, security guys, dogs, cell phones, hand grenades......
    Good point, Pat.

    All the items mentioned (save one) can be employed beyond arm's reach. Blades, however, cannot. You've got to be close to defend yourself with a knife. A Thug that is willing to take a cut or two can easily seize control the knife and subsequently visit his will upon the woman. The "marker test" would only demonstrate this.

    Sidebar: A woman being alone with a known Thug and hoping for personal safety is a Kobayashi Maru test. It is only solvable by cheating. If cheating is not an available option, follow John Farnam's Rules: Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. Being a woman alone in a closed office (place) with a proven Thug (people) and hoping for personal security (thing) is a trifecta of Farnam violations.

  10. #60
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ABQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Sidebar: A woman being alone with a known Thug and hoping for personal safety is a Kobayashi Maru test. It is only solvable by cheating. If cheating is not an available option, follow John Farnam's Rules: Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. Being a woman alone in a closed office (place) with a proven Thug (people) and hoping for personal security (thing) is a trifecta of Farnam violations.
    Here we very much agree. As far as the other, desperation and a tool beats desperation alone.

    pat

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •