Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For when a plant laughs at RoundUp

Site Supporter
    Whenever I have to deal with a problem weed/plant at work I’ll do a google search on said plant and start clicking links from university or state agricultural extensions.
    Round Up will work on smilax, but not at the concentrations you probably used. And like any plant with a large starch filled tuber it may take a few applications to act.

https://extension.uga.edu/publicatio...g%20Greenbrier
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Note that fire will ruin galvanized fence - so I’m told.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Note that fire will ruin galvanized fence - so I’m told.
    Absolutely; galvanizing is just a sacrificial zince surface treatement, and Zn has a relatively low melting point. Add a little heat and galvanization disappears.

On the weeds, it's been decades ago, but Roundup was always considered to be a grass killer. So it may kill some broadleaf plants as well, but that's not really what it was designed for and no farmers used it as such. 2,4-D and Banvel were often mixed with Roundup to create a kills-most-anything cocktail. These days there are much newer things on the market.

On a side note, Roundup *may* be effective on greenbrier if you first cut the brier itself and then immediately spray or brush the Roundup onto the cut 'stump' of the weed. I worked with an arborist that killed Ailanthus trees (also called Tree of Heaven, an invasive species) by cutting them off a foot above ground and then painting them with concentrated Roundup. Otherwise the root ball would continue to send up new shoots. Once the tree had sucked the Roundup down into itself and died, you could come back and make the flush cut.

Yup. Sure kill for bamboo. Two workers, one cuts, the other immediately wipes the cut with Roundup concentrate.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Crossbow is good stuff and my go-to killer.

Name:  62620947-F734-4FF6-B6F6-4422470AB9CC.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  79.8 KB

Will Crossbow kill this? So far, it’s immune to

2-4d
    Tenacity
    Spurge killer
    Me stomping the urine out of it in old man frustrations.

Regards

Site Supporter
    If there's nothing else on the ground that you want alive in the immediate area, you can always use a soil sterilizer like Pramitol. It leaves nothing but scorched earth behind for a year or more depending on dosage. Don't use on a hillside -- runoff is a thing and it'll kill anything with roots downhill of the application area.

We used to use it in pellet form on Johnson Grass. Sometimes the kill areas would remain for several years.

I’ve had luck with Milestone for knapweed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I bought an el cheapo dolly at the farm store and bungied the propane tank to it. Makes the whole rig much more portable.
    An older, no-frills push cart intended for a golf bag is light and collapsible. Mine was $5 at a local charity's resale shop.

I'd be surprised if Bonide's Stump and Vine Killer doesn't wipe out greenbrier, but I've never had to try. The cap has a little applicator brush built right in.

User Tag List