Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Press" the trigger?

This came up last weekend taking my nephew to the range. For a new shooter, I have a cheap stopwatch with a start button at the top of the device. I show them that there is about 1/4" of takeup once the meat of the finger starts increasing pressure on the button and meets resistance. The button has about the same travel distance as a Glock trigger pull and will noticeably bind if the pull isn't straight back towards the device. My verbiage for trigger pull is to "slowly increase pressure while maintaining the 'equal height/equal light" on the sights."

I've been able to help cure some people's consistently shooting low-left by emphasizing the mechanics of the finger as it contracts and a focus on increasing pressure straight to the rear. FWIW.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    FFS

Press, pull, yank, jerk, Hulksmash, or maybe even gently massage in the rearward direction.

Who givesafuk? Do it without disturbing the sights as quickly, carefully, and as many times as necessary.
    This!!
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

This is interesting. Octogon brought up something I like in the clip vs magazine etc. I realized that for some reason 'press' bothers me but the others don't. Go figure. Kanye's example of going to 'rolling' and Moylan's different people respond differently to different words, and BehindtheBluel's just try something different if one isn't working, are all very good points. Thanks guys for an interesting discussion.

Press, pull, squeeze the trigger while NOT disturbing your sight picture while holding the sights on the target. Simple as that, not so simple to actually do tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    FFS

Press, pull, yank, jerk, Hulksmash, or maybe even gently massage in the rearward direction.

Who givesafuk? Do it without disturbing the sights as quickly, carefully, and as many times as necessary.
    I doubt it matters with newbs.

"Keep it smooth enough so you can keep a coin on the barrel. Does your front sight wobble in your rear sight?"

I learned sloppy Weaver in the 80s. It will always be a "pull" to me.

Composition, not vocabulary. Word choice arguments remind me of caliber choice arguments.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The better you grip the pistol, the less important it is to pick a word for describing how to move the trigger.
    True.

The associated semantics do not matter if the shooter can manipulate the trigger without disturbing the alignment of the sights.

I consider this a friendly discussion rather than an argument.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    In casual conversation, I say "pull the trigger."

If I'm trying to impart information about how the trigger is pulled, I say "press."

Language isn't about fitting words in a definition spreadsheet...it's about conveying a concept into someone else's mind. I tailor my language to the context.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

In my experience, trigger mechanics are low on the list of reasons people have misses of more than a few inches, but nearly always what gets blamed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There are many reasons for a miss, and only one of them is trigger mechanics:

1. Trigger mechanics: trigger pull moves sights off target
    2a. Recoil control: arms move sights off target in an attempt to control recoil
    2b. Recoil timing: you attempt to time the recoil cycle of the gun, but press the trigger at the wrong time.
    3a. Transition timing: you pull off the target before the gun is finished shooting it, or shoot before the gun has arrived on target
    3b. Transition damping: your transition wasn't 'critically damped', and you overshoot the target.
    4a. Sight alignment: sights misaligned
    4b. Sight placement: sights aligned but aimed wrong (usually looking at the wrong place on the target)
    5. Vision: focus or eye dominance. Looking at the sights through the wrong eye.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

There is one word in the gun world that is ALWAYS wrong: ambidextrious
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

User Tag List