Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Press" the trigger?

Yes, one pulls the trigger, by pressing carefully. Makes perfect sense to me. I don’t see what all of the fuss is about.

“Press” does not equal “push away.”
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    As long as you don't yoink the trigger I think you're good.

For me, I say I should "moooooooove" the trigger without stopping or speeding up.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    As long as you don't yoink the trigger I think you're good.
    Thank You! I have just added "yoinking" the trigger to my training verbiage.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Words matter, and the words we use evoke images and associations. That's especially true of new learners. As a couple of others said, pick the words that reach the learner in the way you need to. In one example, a shooter new to handguns drew from her experience as a photographer, associating a good grip and trigger press to the right press of a shutter on a properly held camera, along with misses on target to bad pictures. Used that language, to great effect.

We can choose words smartly, and there are trends in which words work, without being rigid or dogmatic. At a point in learning, I think it does matter less as other skills are built.

Mastery of the trigger does matter, especially early.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Words matter, and the words we use evoke images and associations. That's especially true of new learners. As a couple of others said, pick the words that reach the learner in the way you need to. In one example, a shooter new to handguns drew from her experience as a photographer, associating a good grip and trigger press to the right press of a shutter on a properly held camera, along with misses on target to bad pictures. Used that language, to great effect.
    Love that, definitely going to use it in the future!

I don’t think I’ve ever really cared about what terminology someone chooses to use to describe depressing the Trigger. Personally, I slap that bitch silly……..
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    I was putting a lateral hire through his transition from his previously issued Glock 17 to my former department's then issue .40 SIG 226. As might be expected, he had some trigger issues. I used the unheard-of range command of "Straight back" to encourage proper manipulation of the DA trigger.

In retrospect, I should have used "Yoink!", but he did pass the qualification.

If you start by asking the person to dry fire while watching their sights for movement, you won't have to come up with the perfect term. Eyes and trigger fingers do not speak and they do not hear, but they can learn by doing.

As a card carrying member of the LEM short bus crew, I'm disappointed that "rowing" hasn't been mentioned.
    Taking a break from social media.

There is a standout moment for me, specific to the instruction of new shooters, where word choice was critical...it's the time I helped a deaf woman learn to shoot pistols.

Right at a decade ago, I was hosting a range day for a bunch of guys from another forum. A fit looking 28-32ish couple gets out of their car and look lost. I learn that they're not forum members, rather a husband & wife that had just purchased their first home defense pistol and knew there was a range in the area.

I'm nothing if not a truly welcoming emissary to the world of defensive gun ownership. I explain the who, what, why and though we can't set them free in a bay, they would definitely get a friendly and helpful reception, please take a seat for the safety briefing.

As the rest of the group heads out to the primary bay, I take Jamie & Lisa aside to learn their who, what, why. Their self defense mindset seems both considered and natural, not surprising as they'd both grown up in Indiana farm country. He's a hunter, hasn't shot a pistol in years and then just plinking. She's never shot a pistol. They drove straight from the LGS to the range with their shiny NIB Kimber Ultra-Carry.

Oh, and yeah, we should probably mention, Lisa's deaf. I consider this and ask her how well she's tracked everything that's been covered. Fairly well, it turns out. She'd lost her hearing at 14, so her ability to read lips is far more advanced than people who have been deaf for life. I'd initially planned to have them on the far left of the firing line and let anyone that felt that they had something to share interact with them. Now I've got to get creative if their first time shooting is going to be productive...and I do love a challenge.

To get maximum reception of information I wanted to get across, I had to really divide the watch/see/do info and word driven concepts. Whenever I spoke, I did so looking directly at Lisa and choosing my words for both their content & efficiency while always considering their ease of recognition with strict enunciation. If your goal is to elucidate for a lip reader, skip words like elucidate.

Since a bit of FOF had been on the agenda, I had all the gear you'd want to take someone from zero to effectively putting rounds on target. The next 2hrs will go G17 blue gun, G19 & Ultra-Carry dry fire, live G19 w/AA .22 slide, live G19, live Ultra-Carry, very standard fare. But by Zeus, the type of communication needed to convey all the standard stuff kept my brain at a sprint.

You all know the role of standing to the left of a new shooter you're helping and regularly admonishing "Finger," every time they forget to put their trigger finger in proper index. Now I've got to transmit that same thing non-verbally without surprising the shooter with a sudden touch to them or the pistol. That and all the other little things that a new shooter has to learn about changing mags, racking slides, etc, et al. Challenging indeed, fulfilling too, both then and now.

As I remember, Lisa took less physical interventions to really grasp trigger finger index than most newbies take with audibles, but maybe I'm projecting. I definitely saw that Jamie took in a lot of the information on the first pass through as I'd needed to somewhat over explain and demo things to make sure Lisa fully understood what and why of what she was about to do with a loaded pistol.

Jamie had chosen the 1911 'cause of maybe not great reasons like two WW's, but the choice of the Ultra-Carry was in potential ccw. At no point did I criticize their choice as in short order they learned a lot about sharp edges, thumb safeties, difficulty racking and recoil. Credit where it's due, I said at the beginning that they were a fit couple and Lisa's physical capability let her shoot a good many rounds of 230gr, both two handed and SHO and eventually, racking the slide quite fiercely to chamber a round.

Towards the end of my sharing, I ask them if there's anything they want to do again, anything they wanted do that we hadn't covered? Lisa has an idea, she wants to set the gun up like it would be on the bedstand, condition three. Hellz yes, I'm stoked they thought of it. After a few runs, they said they'd be giving condition one some further consideration.

Only now did I bring up the fact that they'd both shot the G19 better and faster for longer. Jamie agreed, but as a hunter, there was no telling him the smaller 9mm was the right choice, so I dropped it. I did, however, have my friend come over from the main bay with his 5" Robar'd .45 for them shoot. As the slide locks back on his first empty mag, Jamie says, "Yeah, I need to get one of these." Lisa, not having been able to hear Jamie's comment, shoots a mag and says, "We should go back and trade for this."

They went home the better for our meeting, I like to think. I certainly remember the time fondly. I still think of it as my best work as a communicator.

User Tag List