Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
It doesn't get any better when they are systems engineering professionals and/or published authors (that one wrote the book on bash scripting). I've spent a large portion of my career working with linux, designing and deploying commercial systems, etc. It's safe to say I'm completely comfortable with the OS. But, Windows snooping aside, I'm just as content to use a properly specced Windows system. Since Win2k, Windows has worked fine for me. I'm typing this from a Linux system only because it had gotten old and sluggish (built it 8 years ago), so I decided to see if I could eke another year or two out of it. Mission accomplished on the performance front, but getting replacements for some of my Win apps (mainly for amateur radio use) was a bit problematic, requiring a mishmash of Linux apps, Win apps under Wine, and even a VM to run one app that just wouldn't work any other way. Luckily I seldom use that latter one.

Oh, and it seems to get confused about my Xerox laser printer. It prints fine, but every few days it lets me know it found a new printer...the same Xerox that I've had since I installed Linux.

Chris
I've gotten to the point now where my patience with hardware issues (and old age after a certain point) is well, there isn't much patience anymore. I've written Dell off after two dud laptops in a row that had mobo issues that firmware/bios updates couldn't fix, and Dell wouldn't swap mobos or the whole thing. I spent a lot of money at Dell over the last 30+ years, but no more. Sad, my first two Dell laptops (Both Clevo builds) were great. One is 16 years old and currently is a friend's web browsing and Youtube machine for his stepkid. Games aren't really going to work on it, but it's a heavyweight 17" monster that I got a fantastic deal on back in 2005. The next 15" one was just as good, but the last two have really turned me off, especially the last one that ran insanely hot and had all it's crazy USB issues that made running accessories hit and miss. Was it the PC, or was the cable or device bad? You had to keep switching USB ports and keep trying. I just gave up after the extended warranty ran out, and went to a Clevo built 15.6 that worked great until I dropped it. Oh well, I never killed a laptop before, so I was due. The current one with an OLED display, 32 Gigs RAM and a 1TB SSD is fantastic. Another Clevo from Sager/Xotic PC. Not state of the art light or anything, but a very solid unit that has been flawless for the 7 months or so I've had it. And it runs so much cooler than the last Dells did, even with a 3070 video card, so no laptop cooler needed. I still use one, but mostly for the angle it puts the keyboard at and a cooler laptop can't hurt. Only negative is battery life is not great, but I rarely run it on battery anyway. That display is worth it!