Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: my annual Linux failure

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Maybe the CCP does not approve of Ubuntu running on their hardware...
    They really don't. I suppose having to support windows AND linux rootkits would be too much work. A U430 was my last lenovo after that debacle. It's been mac and system76 since then.

System76 is notable not just for popos but for coreboot. Seems like a pretty worthwhile step at getting away from Mystery Vendor Software that runs before whatever OS you've configured.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I have become a System76 fanboy. I use an Oryx Pro as my portable desktop and a Lemur Pro as my walking-around laptop, and I've been thrilled with both of them. Their tech support is awesome, too.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I have become a System76 fanboy. I use an Oryx Pro as my portable desktop and a Lemur Pro as my walking-around laptop, and I've been thrilled with both of them. Their tech support is awesome, too.
    I decided to jump in the shallow end with a Meercat (albeit a loaded one) to test the System76 waters, I might grab a laptop once the 17" are actually available in the right configuration.
    I use my laptop as a remote desktop so portability is pretty low on my list of needs (my current "laptop" is a beast 17" Alienware).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Funny. I kept Ubuntu 18.04LTS loaded because it continued to work, so why mess with/change it. Recently, my WiFi stopped loading, too. Didn't notice it because I'm normally connected Ethernet. Don't have the WiFi fix yet, but I'm still looking.

Installed Oracle Virtual Box.
    It promptly hosed my Internet connections. LOL
    Found it had installed itself into my network adapters/drivers and wouldn't let any others load.
    Had to do a full uninstall to get it all working again.

Not a big fan of using a VM in Windows anyway.
    My way of thinking is you're getting the worst of everything when it comes to security when you use Windows as the underlying architecture.
    If I'm going to play with VM's I'd rather start with Linux and layer on top of that.

My System76 machine should ship in a few days, I guess I can wait.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Funny. I kept Ubuntu 18.04LTS loaded because it continued to work, so why mess with/change it. Recently, my WiFi stopped loading, too. Didn't notice it because I'm normally connected Ethernet. Don't have the WiFi fix yet, but I'm still looking.
    Check and see if you have a Broadcom card. Their drivers are proprietary but I think Mint has a workaround that I used. Ubuntu should as well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I work in networking technology and networking systems. Routers, switches, wireless, datacenter switches, identity services engine, and firewalls. All Linux based.

I think what makes Mac work great is they control everything about their OS and hardware. They still have issues, but they have what 5 models? Mac also pushes to minimize end user control of their system.

Linux tries to do this with various systems such as Ubuntu, but an open source software named after an African community that was part of a Philanthropist’s goal of a minimal operating system. Isn’t going to be able to compete on ease of use or resources with the largest software company in existence that was helmed by the wealthiest man in the world for how many decades?

I think go with a VM. Drivers are going to be a pain, but most vendors are aiming at building a device that’s going to support windows. Did the device you bought come optimized, etc. for Linux?

If it’s critical infrastructure - it’s Linux based. System engineers I work with have said that. I see that in my profession, every networking component is a distribution and/or flavor of Linux.

The break through with power shell is all just modeling after the capability of bash. And it’s revolutionary for Windows. UAC and escalation of privileges? Guess who’s been escalating privileges and SU’ing to root for decades to perform critical tasks only?

I use a Windows PC for work because I’ve worked with them for 20-ish years and it’s what the corporations, colleges, and smaller governments orgs, I work with use. But I’ve come close to a Linux distribution a few times. I just figure I have a job to do and getting creative with my own equipment while pushing to do my job is not the time. I’m there to execute and do it to the best of my ability.

I’m sticking with PC’s for now.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    They really don't. I suppose having to support windows AND linux rootkits would be too much work. A U430 was my last lenovo after that debacle. It's been mac and system76 since then.

System76 is notable not just for popos but for coreboot. Seems like a pretty worthwhile step at getting away from Mystery Vendor Software that runs before whatever OS you've configured.
    China being China.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I’m sticking with PC’s for now.
    I use a company issued PC for work and a Mint Linux machine at home. I can't say that I prefer one over the other but the Windows machine has some weird quirks that I can't tell if they are due to Windows or the hardware.

For home use I like Mint because I can get the hardware for super cheap, the latest laptop being a freebie, and it runs well on the old hardware. The savings gets spent on my gun addiction
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I work in networking technology and networking systems. Routers, switches, wireless, datacenter switches, identity services engine, and firewalls. All Linux based.
    Pick any random embedded system and there's a very high likelihood that the Linux kernel is on there somewhere. That code is used in everything from supercomputers to smart urinals. The helicopter on Mars is running Linux.

I have started pushing Linux very hard to all of my intro computer science students. Unfortunately, the university's IT infrastructure is completely dependent on Microsoft, and we are reminded of that every third week when no one can get access to their e-mail.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List