Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Size Striker pistol

I’d keep consistency with your carry platform. Sig and Glock have a different grip angle. When I pick up my Glock I will index it high the first time.

I am very happy w/ my first gen M&P compact that is my EDC. If I were going to try another striker gun it would be a 2nd gen full size M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I’d keep consistency with your carry platform. Sig and Glock have a different grip angle. When I pick up my Glock I will index it high the first time.
    When I aim my Glock 21 downrange, I have to rotate my wrist down a bit to bring the sights down to eye level. I don't do that with my M&P 45 full-size. They line up just fine with my eye level.

Site Supporter
    VP9L's are back in the wild, now with HK's optics mounting system.

I'd try to find a gun range that rents pistols and try side-by-side one of each, or at least a close cousin of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Glock 17.5. Best full size striker ever.
    Maybe best defensive pistol ever.

No. I don't drink Gastonade.
    I have been thinking the exact same thing for a couple of years…

Site Supporter
    While I think that another 34 (or at least a 19X/45/17-full sized grip 9mm) using it as a testbed for diff sights and perhaps a "straighter trigger" mated to an OEM "-" connector with a 5.5 TRS is the way to go...

If I was going to change up, I would look hard at the M&P 5 inch 2.0. Supposed to be a quite a nice trigger from the factory. Apex can certainly take the trigger to the next level yet still be reliable and safe for any intended purpose.

Let us know what you do and why you do it.

DB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

What are you asking?

The Glock 34 is an excellent pistol. I'm not sure if you're staying with a plastic striker fired gun you can do better.

I do understand being bored with a current gun and seeking another to play with.

When it comes to plastic striker fired guns they're honestly all about the same to me. I have pretty extensive experience with both the Glock and M&P and like them equally. The P320, as I said in another thread, I'm slowly warming up to. The VP9 is ok although I don't really care for it myself. The FN 509, CZ P10, Beretta APX, and Walther PDP are all guns I haven't spent enough time with to get to know, but all seem decent.

I'm honestly at the point where I'm bored with all of them and it seems to be six of one or a half dozen the other and none of them really excite me. None of them really do anything much better than a Gen3 Glock did twenty years ago.

I think if you forced me to pick one striker fired plastic gun right now and it was the only one I was allowed to use for awhile it would be an optics ready M&P 2.0 5" with the grip textured dulled a bit and the caveat that it either:

a) Comes with the new straight trigger shoe similar to the Shield Plus that I'm pretty sure S&W will release soon
    b) Has an Apex Action Enhanced polymer trigger installed (I have one in an old M&P 40 and it's the bees knees)

If i were bored with Glocks and wanted something else to stimulate me, I would go with something else entirely rather than another striker. Like a 1911 or a Beretta 92 or a revolver.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of shooting my Smith and Wesson model 63 3" and I don't own any other DA revolvers. It is both a good trainer for trigger control and inexpensive to shoot.

Sorry for not answering your question.

I've been a Glock guy for serious use guns since they first hit the US. I hate everything about them, except their reliability and the ability to shoot them well at speed on drills. They're not my choice for precision work - as I get older, I have to work harder and harder to achieve tight long-range groups with them - to the point where they're just no fun to use for that application at all.

I started back into my lifelong love affair with 1911s about two years ago, and couldn't be happier.

If you're absolutely certain you want a striker fired pistol, I'd look at the long barrel M&P or the P10F. The P320F is easy to shoot well, due to it's fully tensioned striker, but I'm not sure Sig has all the warts worked out on that pistol yet.

If you want something different, but equally reliable, and at least as accurate, I'd suggest a HK VP.

Interestingly, unless I missed something, you didn't mention caliber-everyone seems to assume you want to stick with 9mm, but if that assuption isn't true, you might want to experiment with a Glock Gen5 G22.

Or, alternatively, in .45 ACP, a G21 or a M&P .45.

For caliber experimentation, a Gen4 G22 with a supplimentary .357 SIG barrel...

Best, Jon

User Tag List