Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Size Striker pistol

Full Size Striker pistol

I own a Glock 34 and shoot it moderately well. It mainly sits in my bedside quick access safe as a home defense pistol due to its ease of use and reliability. But I am looking to branch out and purchase another full/extended size (5”) striker gun to play with (range, steel challenge, swap in safe with G34 sometimes). I would keep it stock, except for possibly sights, and like it to share (or be damn close) the same degree of reliability, and higher shootability than the G34 (which I know is subjective). Not looking for an optic mounted gun.
    At various points I have shot the M&P, CZ P10, Walther PPQ, VP9, and Sig P320. But unfortunately never in the same outing, so some of the distinctions and pluses/minuses are long forgotten. Since this is not a carry gun, I am not overly worried about striker pre-tensioning. I am very meh about the Sig P320 series. I shoot it better than my Glock, but can’t seem to love it the way everyone else in the state of New Hampshire does. I even live in the town where they are built.
    Between the others on my list, and any that I may have forgotten, do any of these models have disqualifying characteristics? Is there some feature that makes one or two rise to the top? The M&P isn’t sexy, but I do shoot it well.

M&P 2.0
    Walther PDP
    CZ P10F
    P320 X full
    I think the HK VP9 longslide is discontinued

Thanks in advance.
    Meme added for entertainment value.
    Last edited by Lunker; 07-08-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Pistols are pistols to me, especially plastic strikers. I use Glocks because I can work on ‘em and holsters and everything are easy to find.

Even out of all my big time custom 1911s my favorite handgun to shoot was a basic Sig P226.

Go figure.

If you are looking for sexy and different get the VP9. If you want the Glock’s sister M&P. Anything can get a better trigger. Mace and steel club workouts will make them all shoot flatter.

I’ve had them all, kept the Glocks for the gadget.

Site Supporter
    You could probably get good service from any of the pistols on your list just to have fun with at the range from time to time. In terms of what you shoot the majority of the time, and what you carry and keep for home defense, I would recommend sticking with one platform, to maximize familiarity in anticipation of situations where gun handling will just be one of several things vying for your attention.

Full Size Striker pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    You could probably get good service from any of the pistols on your list just to have fun with at the range from time to time. In terms of what you shoot the majority of the time, and what you carry and keep for home defense, I would recommend sticking with one platform, to maximize familiarity in anticipation of situations where gun handling will just be one of several things vying for your attention.
    Thanks. That is a sensible recommendation..
    I have Sig P365 and 365XL as carry guns, so I practice with them. And I have a Sig P320 carry and CZ P01 Omega range guns that I enjoy shooting as well. I shoot the 365XL and P320 the best out of them all, including the G34. I love the 365XL. But i’d sell the P320 if i didn’t shoot it so well. If they come out with a Sig 365XXL, I will definitely put that in my safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lunker; 07-08-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Another G34. Put different sights on it. Experiment with the trigger. Figure out what you like best. Set both up identically.

Site Supporter
    I like my Beretta APX Centurion. I can't remember the barrel length on the full size, but it's worth looking into. Right now I'm very curious about the latest gen of Steyr pistols that are hitting the market. I think the L9-MF is what you want.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have and carried a P10C often, I've found it to be accurate,
    easy to shoot and it carries well, I picked up an XL when they
    became available and found it carries well and I shoot it well.
    I found it wasn't real easy to transition from one to the other,
    I have no problem putting down the XL and drawing my M&P
    2.0 C from concealment in pretty comparable time, transitions
    a lot better for me and since I put in an Apex trigger I shoot it
    as well as the P10C.
    I never really did well with Glock but, I'm tempted to try a G19 5.

Glock 17.5. Best full size striker ever.
    Maybe best defensive pistol ever.

No. I don't drink Gastonade.

Most all striker polymer pistols are meh to me. The 5 inch requirement really makes me think of the M&P M2.0. I had one in 40SW and really liked it. Currently have one in 9mm and it has been great. Someone else mentioned that you should just get anothe 34 and tinker around with it. I can agree with that since you would not need new mags and holsters.

User Tag List