Thread: Kitchen faucet replacement question

Kitchen faucet replacement question

I want to replace my faucet with something like this Moen, but I’ve got a dishwasher air gap up top next to the existing faucet. What’s the standard way to work with this? FYI, this faucet is way cheaper on Amazon than at Lowe’s, even with my mil discount there.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I want to replace my faucet with something like this Moen, but I’ve got a dishwasher air gap up top next to the existing faucet. What’s the standard way to work with this? FYI, this faucet is way cheaper on Amazon than at Lowe’s, even with my mil discount there.
    Is the air gap required by code where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Cacafuego View Post
    Is the air gap required by code where you live?
    I think so? I don’t have a waste disposal, I’m on septic.

802.1.6 Domestic Dishwashing Machines

Domestic dishwashing machines shall discharge indirectly through an air gap or air break into a waste receptor in accordance with Section 802.2, or discharge into a wye branch fitting on the tailpiece of the kitchen sink or the dishwasher connection of a food waste disposer. The waste line of a domestic dishwashing machine discharging into a kitchen sink tailpiece or food waste disposer shall connect to a deck-mounted air gap or the waste line shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter.
    #RESIST

FYI, this faucet is way cheaper on Amazon than at Lowe’s, even with my mil discount there.
    But are they identical? I've heard many stories about retailers specifying a price point they want to sell an item for and the manufacturer building to that price/quality. Specifically a plumber telling me that the supply house Moen & Delta faucets have brass internals and the big box stores like Home Depot have plastic internals. Amazon certainly has the clout to request a manufacturer to cut cost.

Site Supporter
    Is the issue that the air gap interferes with the plate at the bottom of the faucet? If so, based on the pictures in that amazon link it looks like you could simply mount the faucet without that. It should mount through a single hole in the counter. If it's because the handle will interfere, you could always install the faucet with the handle on the left instead of the right or relocate the air gap.

ETA: I have heard the same thing regarding quality of parts sold through different vendors.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    But are they identical? I've heard many stories about retailers specifying a price point they want to sell an item for and the manufacturer building to that price/quality. Specifically a plumber telling me that the supply house Moen & Delta faucets have brass internals and the big box stores like Home Depot have plastic internals. Amazon certainly has the clout to request a manufacturer to cut cost.
    I would think with Amazon that an even bigger risk would be counterfeit products. No idea if this is a problem in the market for home appliances and fixtures but I've stopped buying any gun accessories or consumer electronics >$35 from Amazon simply because I've gotten fakes in the past - including items that had previously been returned to amazon (Warehouse deals) which presumably were returned for suspicion of counterfeit product.

Unless it's a really good deal and I'm confident I have the ability to detect a fake I won't buy it from Amzn

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Unless it's a really good deal and I'm confident I have the ability to detect a fake I won't buy it from Amzn
    This.

Looking at my Amazon orders for the last couple months, it's mostly low dollar incidental stuff where shipping from other companies would exceed the value of the item (spools of fine gauge wire I can't get elsewhere, connectors, etc). Complex electronics or big buck items get purchased from trusted retailers. I'm also avoiding the "deal of the month" garbage that people go gaga over (ooooh, a knock-off widget from GooGoo).

Chris

So is the issue that you want to install the soap pump, but only have the air gap hole in your sink?

The last part of the written code "or the waste line shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter." would allow for removing the air gap completely. You would need to ensure the drain hose from the dishwasher makes a loop as high in the cabinet as possible. It more likely then not already makes a loop on the side of the dishwasher before it enters the sink cabinet.

User Tag List