Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A New Blade

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    How do these compare to Hanwei or Cold Steel Swords?
    The heat treatment on these is more consistent than Hanwei. Hanwei tends to overheat during heat treatment on a fairly routine basis. The geometry is far more accurate than found on Cold Steels line. CS swords tend to handle like crowbars. They're hell for stout, but they won't give you a true feeling for the type.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I didn’t watch it: I read the monster of a book, and at least one sequel.

My son bought a replica of “Sting”, and it’s pretty cool but not really much of a dagger. Told him not to swing it around b/c we don’t know how trustworthy the tang is. From what I understand, many display-type swords, especially fantasy swords, are not solid enough in the tang to take the stress of the swingweight of the blade, and will fail, slinging a sword blade off into whatever is in its path.
    Those LOTR swords are made strictly for display. The stainless steel used can't be heat treated and is used because it's soft and easy to machine, the fittings are cast pot metal. Strictly decorative.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    But will it keeeel?
    Prisoners needed to test it. See if your craftsman produced the ultimate, a 5 Body Blade!

Site Supporter
    I'm also a child of the 80's, not to mention a sci-fi/fantasy and mythology geek during those formative years. You just triggered an itch for a short sword of some kind; maybe a gladius, xiphos, or even a smatchet. At least I can try to justify to myself that it would be potentially useful in a home defense scenario. That money was supposed to go to a new 10/22.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    I'm also a child of the 80's, not to mention a sci-fi/fantasy and mythology geek during those formative years. You just triggered an itch for a short sword of some kind; maybe a gladius, xiphos, or even a smatchet. At least I can try to justify to myself that it would be potentially useful in a home defense scenario. That money was supposed to go to a new 10/22.
    At least you would only have to buy it once: no need to find and purchase ammo, too.

I bought a cheap ass Cold Steel Gladius years ago. Not a quality fighting blade, but it kills the hell out of cardboard boxes.

And it made me appreciate how much strength and practice a true swordsman needs.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Who was it that posted up a picture here of a REALLY nice sword (gladius maybe?) they bought? Was a year or so ago IIRC. Was that you Troop? Cuz it was badass.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Who was it that posted up a picture here of a REALLY nice sword (gladius maybe?) they bought? Was a year or so ago IIRC. Was that you Troop? Cuz it was badass.
    Probably me, I've done it more than once.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Probably me, I've done it more than once.
    Might still be sitting in his avatar ...

User Tag List