Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haitian President assassinated

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Well.... Mario Cuomo is dead so....
    Holy Shit. The Haitians got Mario too! Damn that climate change! Oh the humanity!

Too soon?
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Listening to NPR this morning, they reported that there's video available on the internet, including drone video. I haven't looked for it. They also said that in addition to the Spanish mentioned in the official notice, English was heard being spoken. No mention of which accent it was.
    Ed Calderon posted the video this morning. He seemed to think the accent sounded Venezuelan.

My subconscious disregard (shit for brains) struck again, you are absolutely correct. Reading the news stories this morning, Andrew's abuse of executive powers and then assassination of Jovenel both stories paralleled in my mind. How i managed to slip back in time to Mario beats me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Well.... Mario Cuomo is dead so....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Ed Calderon posted the video this morning. He seemed to think the accent sounded Venezuelan.
    He said VZ or Cuban. Definitely Spanish speaking.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Holy Shit. The Haitians got Mario too! Damn that climate change! Oh the humanity!

Too soon?
    Such a quick death would’ve been too good for scum like Mario Cuomo.

Well, time to roll in the next dictator who is perfectly willing to let the people of his country eat dog shit in the street, while he eats prime rib in his palace.. Some things never change. I’ll give the government of the Dominican Republic credit, they know when to close the border, and how to keep it closed.. That’s a lesson our government could benefit from. At this point, I don’t think there is a viable solution for Hati…

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Our guys who used to run maritime undercover ops (narcotics related) in the islands used to say...you never want to go to jail in Haiti.

It gives most other shitholes a bad name.

(This post is not intended to make a statement about race or ethnicity...simply the facts as relates to the realities faced in that desperate and impoverished nation.)

For that matter, searching Haitian freighters for dope, arms, etc. was the reason we all had to be inoculated for hepatitis back in the day.
    (Cruise ships are bad enough.)

Makes sense, what you say.

Race means zero. Culture means a lot.

Most people have no idea how good we have it here. One exception to that statement is likely to be Haitian immigrants.

America is only better because it chooses to be better. If we stop making that choice we will be like the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, time to roll in the next dictator who is perfectly willing to let the people of his country eat dog shit in the street, while he eats prime rib in his palace.. Some things never change. I’ll give the government of the Dominican Republic credit, they know when to close the border, and how to keep it closed.. That’s a lesson our government could benefit from. At this point, I don’t think there is a viable solution for Hati…
    Cry havoc…and let slip the Dogs of War
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Haiti is an interesting case study in foreign aid and NGOs.

The core problem with Haiti is that “we” (meaning the rest of the world) keep throwing money at them and meddling in their shit. Most of the chaos there surrounds controlling all the “free” money that comes into the country.

IIRC their primary industry is foreign aid.

“We” have conditioned that population over decades NOT to work.

I recall an interview (on NPR no less) where they talked with a local woman that sold mangos. Mostly sat around collecting aid, but sold mangos. They asked her why she didn’t sell more mangos. She said that her land didn’t have enough water to support growing more mangos. They pointed out that there was a stream nearby, and she could dig a connecting trench to get the water from there to her mangos (they may have even offered to help dig the trench, I don’t recall). She said no, she couldn’t be bothered to dig a trench. Too busy sitting around collecting aid, I guess.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    There’s big money in NGO’s and laundering what comes in the front door. Haiti, like many other “forever shitholes” around the world, provide this service.

For some in this world, it’s the perfect blueprint.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List