Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of light on LPVO equipped carbine? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    2 of the 3 HL-X rail mounted lights I had developed flickering issues after very low round count. I’ve read multiple reports of people having issues with the pressure switch and tailcap so that could have been my issue, but I took advantage of the Brownells return policy and got something else rather than spending time diagnosing the issue.
    Just FYI (since you've returned them) Arisaka Defense makes a Streamlight to Surefire tail cap adapter that should resolve the flickering issues.

I'd like to see Arisaka make a run of adapters that allow the old Surefire M95X tail caps to be used. These caps can usually be found pretty cheap on eBay and I think the general size and shape would look good on the somewhat large Streamlight tube.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Just FYI (since you've returned them) Arisaka Defense makes a Streamlight to Surefire tail cap adapter that should resolve the flickering issues.

I'd like to see Arisaka make a run of adapters that allow the old Surefire M95X tail caps to be used. These caps can usually be found pretty cheap on eBay and I think the general size and shape would look good on the somewhat large Streamlight tube.

I've seen it, and while I generally like everything Arisaka does, I still wouldn't consider that for anything but a hobby/range gun. It adds more failure points and makes the light unreasonably long by the time you add the light, the adapter, the tailcap, and the plug.

Also, by adding the cost of the adapter to the price of the light you are narrowing the gap between the Streamlight and a quality light. If you already have a Streamlight and are having issues and you don't want to buy a new light, that may be a good option, but for people starting off buying their first light I'd just avoid the Streamlights.

I haven’t had the flickering but I’m using the 18650 battery. I was told most of the flickering issues were traced back to looser fitting cr123’s.

That said I compared my TLR1-HL 1000 lumen light to the HL-X 1000 and just ordered another TLR this morning. They are brighter, lighter, easier to mount and easy to use at 12:00. I’m hunting pigs and not bad guys with mine. So far I have 5 of these on pistols and rifles and have yet to have any problems.

I was very close to ordering a Cloud Defense or Modlight light but realized I don’t need to spend $400 plus to hunt pigs just yet.

I've seen it, and while I generally like everything Arisaka does, I still wouldn't consider that for anything but a hobby/range gun. It adds more failure points and makes the light unreasonably long by the time you add the light, the adapter, the tailcap, and the plug.

Also, by adding the cost of the adapter to the price of the light you are narrowing the gap between the Streamlight and a quality light. If you already have a Streamlight and are having issues and you don't want to buy a new light, that may be a good option, but for people starting off buying their first light I'd just avoid the Streamlights.
    Didn't say it was perfect but rather an option to deal with the flicker. As with all things YMMV

That's ridiculous assertion in avoiding all Streamlights. The flickering problem is related only to the dual fuel, Protac Rail Long Gun mount HL-X model. The Streamlight Protac Rail Long Gun mounts #1 and #2 have been solid & trouble free.

Oddly enough, Surefire has also had problems with flickering on their dual fuel Scout Light Pro model, at nearly 3x the cost of the similar Streamlight HL-X. The lesson here is avoid dual fuel weapon lights. Get one that's uses all 123a or all 18650 or 18350 only.

Modlights are also fine weapon lights, but also a bit pricey for people on budgets.

IMHO and YMMV

The Scout 600DF can cause issues using the Surefire pressure switches as well. I had issues with flicker/pulse using a SR07/UE cap/pad combo, which persisted with a modbutton lite pressure pad. Turns out there were two issues- the SR07 is kinda marginal for the power level of the 600DF and other high output lights, plus the UE tailcap can have issues with high current draws if it isn't in perfect condition. SF replaced my SR07 and UE tailcap- works fine now but I prefer the modbutton lite pressure switch for native mlok capability.

In addition to the above, the 600DF is more flood oriented than its form factor would suggest. For a mid range carbine I would prefer something with more throw/candela. I might try one of the Modlite heads on my 600 body.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I was removing the HL-X 1000 and stuck the clicky cap back on and it seemed brighter. So after confirming the pressure pad was the culprit, I ordered an Arisaka offset keymod mount and mounted the light at 11:30 without the pressure pad. It’s a cleaner setup with the direct keymod mount and I like the throw this light has. I think I’m done.

User Tag List