Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I'm burned out

Site Supporter
    Take a break from the pistol and shoot some sporting clays. Sporting clays are the best, even though I go multiple years at a stretch without shooting them.

My first thought is, “so what?”

Not in a “ Who cares about some stranger and there’s silly Internet problems?“ kind of way but in a “ if you’re burned out on some thing, and it’s not your livelihood, it’s probably some kind of clue“ kind of way.

What’s the negative impact or downside of stopping? Even just for awhile? What have you been filling the extra time with?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Take a break from the pistol and shoot some sporting clays. Sporting clays are the best, even though I go multiple years at a stretch without shooting them.
    So much this.

I started this thread back in 2016 asking about guns for shooting flying targets. You’ll see early in the thread just how much I didn’t know.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-amp-Skeet-Gun

Fast forward 5 years (and you can follow along in the thread) and my wife and I both have shotguns, love shooting clays, and even go shoot clays when out of town doing other stuff. It took almost two years from starting that thread to buying a gun, but for the last 3 we’ve both really enjoyed it. Speaking for myself, having spent a lot of years with carbines and pistils, I found it pretty easy to get well over 50% on the clays course (the EASY course!) pretty quickly, and now pretty much always shoot over 80. And, when I finally got my wife her own Glock 48, I firmly believe that having spent all that time with the shotgun drastically flattened the learning curve.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

This is a nice thread.

If you do anything that’s functionally repetitive, it gets old. But, shooting is a huge umbrella of sports. There’s always a different way to shoot with a reasonably affordable barrier to entry, be it a rimfire precision match or sporting clays. Switching divisions within a sport can keep the sport fresh. Prepping for and traveling to a major can give shooting a “purpose.” If you’re not doing it for money, there’s no penalty for taking a little time off.

It’s analogous to fishing. If a body of water near me gets stale, I might switch from fly fishing to spinning tackle. I might drive a bit further to find a different place to wade in. Worst case scenario is I take a month or two off, and then I miss it.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Sometimes changing it up helps. Buy a revolver?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    One more vote for trying out clays. I fell out of shooting for a couple years after college. Two years ago I picked up shooting skeet/clays for an excuse to get out of the city on weekends (and I pretended it was a BD activity so I could justify all the money and time). After a year of that I found myself back deep into pistol shooting with my new problem being not having enough time for both.

If I were in that position I would purchase some left handed holsters/gear and train with my left hand exclusively. I need to do that anyway. Then, once I had trained in left handed shooting, I would then compete left handed to further my training.

For me, it would definitely be out of my current comfort zone and would be growth in my shooting life. Again, I really need to do that and if ammo ever gets somewhat reasonable, that is my plan.

Regards.

I’m in a similar position. I don’t compete, but for the past five years shooting and everything that goes with it have been basically my only hobbies aside from reading. Between finally getting bored with it and work stress that, like others have mentioned, has me feeling like staying home on Saturday (and going to get coffee with my wife) instead of hitting the range, I’m not shooting much at all right now.

I just picked up a new guitar, having sold all my remaining music equipment a couple years ago to fund taking ECQC. I was a very serious guitar player in high school and college, and studied theory and composition in college without bothering to get a music degree. Reviving that old hobby, getting back up to speed with technique and writing some new music, was just what I needed. I’ll probably go all in on it for a bit here, then add the shooting back in for some balance within maybe a year or so. If you have an old hobby, practice, passion, pursuit, whatever, that got edged out by shooting, think about getting back to it.

And yeah. Clays. I should get back to that myself. Clays and upland bird hunting were the majority of my shooting prior to college.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My first thought is, “so what?”

Not in a “ Who cares about some stranger and there’s silly Internet problems?“ kind of way but in a “ if you’re burned out on some thing, and it’s not your livelihood, it’s probably some kind of clue“ kind of way.

What’s the negative impact or downside of stopping? Even just for awhile? What have you been filling the extra time with?
    This is my thought exactly.

I've hardly shot a round in two years. I've got other stuff on the go. Nobody is paying me to do it anymore, so I'm just waiting until I feel like it. All I really want to do right now is fish, build stuff, and hang out with my kid. When he's a little older, I'll want to hunt with him. It'll come back. I'll go back to shooting. For now I'm good.

I will say that I always hated competitive shooting, for exactly the reasons outlined above: I get so fucking bored standing around waiting to shoot, I'm about to crawl out of my skin. That's why I liked to do 3-day training classes: you're either shooting or getting taught something, or joking around for a few minutes with your earpro off. So if you WANT to be shooting, but you don't want to shoot HOW you were shooting, shoot differently.

If you just look at your gear and think, nah, screw this, I'd rather work on the bike or go to the beach or lift weights or play my guitar or something...why beat yourself up about it? You're not obligated to have a monomania for shooting. Do what makes you happy.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    This is my thought exactly.

I've hardly shot a round in two years. I've got other stuff on the go. Nobody is paying me to do it anymore, so I'm just waiting until I feel like it. All I really want to do right now is fish, build stuff, and hang out with my kid. When he's a little older, I'll want to hunt with him. It'll come back. I'll go back to shooting. For now I'm good.

I will say that I always hated competitive shooting, for exactly the reasons outlined above: I get so fucking bored standing around waiting to shoot, I'm about to crawl out of my skin. That's why I liked to do 3-day training classes: you're either shooting or getting taught something, or joking around for a few minutes with your earpro off. So if you WANT to be shooting, but you don't want to shoot HOW you were shooting, shoot differently.

If you just look at your gear and think, nah, screw this, I'd rather work on the bike or go to the beach or lift weights or play my guitar or something...why beat yourself up about it? You're not obligated to have a monomania for shooting. Do what makes you happy.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... But the magazine isn't going to write itself, we miss you there. OTOH kids, boats, mmm... fishing, not so much but whatever works for you.

User Tag List