Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I'm burned out

I think I'm burned out

And I don't know how to get unburned out. I've shot exactly two matches this year. One was a steel challenge match and the other was the state peace officer association match (as a civilian). I placed better than I thought I would in both matches. I enjoyed being there and I enjoyed being around and talking to people I hadn't seen in a while. But I was pretty indifferent about the shooting. I haven't practiced at all this year. I've been to the range two or three times. I know my round count for the year is well below 1,000 including the matches. Dryfire happens rarely.

This isn't new. It started last year. As ammo got tighter and more expensive I made more excuses to not train. At first, I thought I was burned out on single stack and started looking for alternatives for a new match pistol. But then the idea of dropping money on a new gun and the ammo to become proficient with it and I thought to myself "what's the point". I live 10 minutes from my indoor local range and I can't remember the last time I shot there.

I don't want to sound like a whiner but I'm not really sure how to snap out of this training funk that I'm in.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Ideas

Get a training buddy. Can be an online one.

I'm training with one now and it's done wonders for my motivation on the days I feel like I'm in a funk.

Send me a DM if you want to join in.

Having someone to celebrate the little improvement milestones is a lot of fun and helps keep it moving forward.

Do some non serious just fun shooting for silly fun. Plink cans at a quarry with a .22, for instance. Set up a gong in the backyard, and ring it with a pellet gun.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    There’s nothing wrong with taking some time off if you’re burned out. This isn’t your job. Let the shooting happen as it will. If you have something else you enjoy doing, concentrate on that for a change. Forcing yourself to do something because you think you should because you always have is negative reinforcement. The guns will be there when the itch returns, and ammo will probably be cheaper.

A big part of why I’ve been concentrating on shooting so much in the last year and a half is that this endurance cyclist/runner has been on chemo, and that sucked the endurance right out of me. Once I get off the chemo, the balance will change to favor running again. I’m looking forward to being a strong runner again, and I “age up” in December. But I’ll still be shooting!

I think this is a great thread topic, and a tough question. Burnout is a common thing at all levels of competition and training. Some people get past it and continue to advance. Many people quit as a result of burnout or simply because of lack of interest.

I'm looking forward to hearing more P-F wisdom about burnout. Here are some of my thoughts on the topic:

1. Consider quitting. Seriously consider it, and see how that feels. If shooting has become burdensome, and doesn't make you happy, why continue? Would you sell your guns if you quit shooting? How would that make you feel?

2. Why do you train and compete? What's your motivation, and why did it go away? Do you train for competition, self-defense, fun, ?

3. Do you have a growth mindset? Are you inspired by the excellence of other competitors? Or do they make you feel bad about yourself?

4. Maybe the type of shooting you've been doing is boring, and you need to try something else? Personally, I can't imagine training very hard if steel challenge was all I was training for.

I really like the book Match Mentality by Ben Stoeger. Lanny Bassham's With Winning in Mind is a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    And I don't know how to get unburned out. I've shot exactly two matches this year. One was a steel challenge match and the other was the state peace officer association match (as a civilian). I placed better than I thought I would in both matches. I enjoyed being there and I enjoyed being around and talking to people I hadn't seen in a while. But I was pretty indifferent about the shooting. I haven't practiced at all this year. I've been to the range two or three times. I know my round count for the year is well below 1,000 including the matches. Dryfire happens rarely.

This isn't new. It started last year. As ammo got tighter and more expensive I made more excuses to not train. At first, I thought I was burned out on single stack and started looking for alternatives for a new match pistol. But then the idea of dropping money on a new gun and the ammo to become proficient with it and I thought to myself "what's the point". I live 10 minutes from my indoor local range and I can't remember the last time I shot there.

I don't want to sound like a whiner but I'm not really sure how to snap out of this training funk that I'm in.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-06-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Oh, yeah. One more thing. Here's a quote from the best combatives mentor I've ever had: "Stop feeling sorry for yourself." He's a big advocate of learning to keep going no matter what, and that means training through a demoralizing slump. (Assuming you care about this goal.)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

You could have depression, a symptom is loss of interest in normal activities.

I can relate to this a little. When ammo got crazy expensive I pretty much stopped shooting. I don’t think it has a ton to do with that though because I have a pretty good stockpile of ammo. I just can’t be bothered to go right now.

Do you have other hobbies? I ask because I took up hunting and archery this year, and am spending a lot more time on that. With a growing family, there’s just only so much time I’m willing to spend on non-family related stuff, so shooting took the hit. It was that or BJJ, and BJJ is the only thing that keeps me from being 250 lbs.

Here’s an interesting thing I noticed stepping away from guns a bit. There’s a political element to this hobby that is just plain exhausting. I think it has been healthy for me to unplug from that a bit.

If you have other hobbies that are more interesting to you, go do those. Don’t sell all your stuff quite yet, but take a break. Life is short and spending leisure time doing something that doesn’t excite you makes little sense.

Do you like helping new folks? An enthusiastic beginner can be a great smile generator.

Sounds like it might be time to turn off the timer, find some reactive targets and a buddy, and just shoot stuff.

Rent something different?

There’s nothing wrong with taking a break, or changing priorities. Right now I’d rather spend a nice weekend morning on my bike than at the range.

I've burned out several times since I shot my first pistol match in 1980. When I was burnt out I usually just shot local matches for the socialization. I would shoot the match, throw the gun in the bag and wouldn't take it back out until I got to the next match.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I placed better than I thought I would in both matches. I enjoyed being there and I enjoyed being around and talking to people I hadn't seen in a while.
    You placed well because you were shooting with no expectations. I've shot some of my best matches that way. You can let your subconscious do the shooting.

I've seen hundreds or even thousands of people shoot for a while and quit. There's no shame in it. Many go on to other interests. I like to shoot, but sometimes get annoyed with the competition part. Then I'll just go to the range once in a while and shoot carry guns, J-Frames or 22s. You want to make it fun and not a job. Good luck.

edit to add: don't sell your stuff. It doesn't cost anything for it to sit around for a while. I regret almost every gun I ever sold, even the junk ones.

User Tag List