Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: USAF seeks M18 subcompact conversion kit

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Eh. Sometimes it's better to get it down on paper now so that you don't lose the opportunity later. Pretty sure that's what happened with us, and why we have Glock 19Ms but bought Gen 4 Glock 26's off a DOD contract. The Glock 26M didn't exist, the Gen 5 wasn't released yet, so we bought the Gen 4 because it was a "shit or get off the pot" moment in the procurement process.

Perfection being the enemy of "good enough", all that. In your guys' case, I'd rather get it down on paper now while we have a chance even if we know there's going to be delays....things can change out of your favor if you opt to wait instead.
    Yup. The federal budget cycle is normally 3 years out.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTom View Post
    I heard from one of my buddies at a base that has fielded the M18 that SOP for the cops is to carry with the manual safety off. Safety only goes on at the clearing barrel. While that would be consistent with procedures for the M9, this seems completely whacky for a gun that has a 1911 style manual safety. Any perspective from the Combat Arms world on why we aren't teaching people to work with the safeties?

....Not looking forward to trading in my M9....
    That is SOP, and I think it's pants-on-head retarded with the M18 to not utilize the safety since it's very simple and intuitive. I do not have any idea why Big Air Force chose to write the policy the way they did, and can only assume it's because the people who write the policy aren't particularly good at shooting.

The above is my opinion and does not represent the opinions of the DoD or the USAF or any affiliated unit.

Site Supporter
    I heard from one of my buddies at a base that has fielded the M18 that SOP for the cops is to carry with the manual safety off. Safety only goes on at the clearing barrel. While that would be consistent with procedures for the M9, this seems completely whacky for a gun that has a 1911 style manual safety. Any perspective from the Combat Arms world on why we aren't teaching people to work with the safeties?

....Not looking forward to trading in my M9....
    Being Army we're mostly seeing the M17's. But among all the units I've got friends in, including some armorers and 91F's, the safety is always engaged when holstered/holstering or during admin handling.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Being Army we're mostly seeing the M17's. But among all the units I've got friends in, including some armorers and 91F's, the safety is always engaged when holstered/holstering or during admin handling.
    Damn, looks like we as branches flip-flopped. Previously, I would have said we in the AF carried our handguns the smarter way with the M9 de-cocked and off safe. Now you Soldiers are doing it the smarter way with the M17 and actually using the manual safety.
    Lacking Gravitas

Site Supporter
    Damn, looks like we as branches flip-flopped. Previously, I would have said we in the AF carried our handguns the smarter way with the M9 de-cocked and off safe. Now you Soldiers are doing it the smarter way with the M17 and actually using the manual safety.
    Given the number of times the USAF's done the smarter thing, statistics demanded that the Army would eventually do something smarter, even if by complete accident!

Looks like a OSI requirement per Soldier Systems.

Soldier Systems: Warrior East 21 - SIG SAUER MHX

"When the Army selected the SIG P320 as their new Modular Handgun System, they truly adopted a modular system. The serialized part is the Fire Control Unit and everything else can be swapped out. Already, several organizations have considered ways to use this modularity, like Air Force Office of Special Investigations which wants a sub-compact carry pistol.

At Warrior East, SIG displayed a simple brown box which, when opened, contained the parts needed to convert a standard MHS M18 into an “MHX”, based on SIG’s X-Carry configuration. This kit is based on the OSI requirement for an M18 Gun Conversion Kit, but the reality is that there is a wide variety of OEM and after market parts and accessories which will work with the P320 platform to make it more effective for certain applications. For instance, you’ll note that while MHS is Coyote on color, OSI desires a Black pistol, to blend in better with their plain clothes, law enforcement role.

Expect more organizations to swap parts on their MHS as they complete fielding and units become more comfortable with the platform and what it can do."
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Looks like a OSI requirement per Soldier Systems.

Soldier Systems: Warrior East 21 - SIG SAUER MHX

"When the Army selected the SIG P320 as their new Modular Handgun System, they truly adopted a modular system. The serialized part is the Fire Control Unit and everything else can be swapped out. Already, several organizations have considered ways to use this modularity, like Air Force Office of Special Investigations which wants a sub-compact carry pistol.

At Warrior East, SIG displayed a simple brown box which, when opened, contained the parts needed to convert a standard MHS M18 into an “MHX”, based on SIG’s X-Carry configuration. This kit is based on the OSI requirement for an M18 Gun Conversion Kit, but the reality is that there is a wide variety of OEM and after market parts and accessories which will work with the P320 platform to make it more effective for certain applications. For instance, you’ll note that while MHS is Coyote on color, OSI desires a Black pistol, to blend in better with their plain clothes, law enforcement role.

Expect more organizations to swap parts on their MHS as they complete fielding and units become more comfortable with the platform and what it can do."
    M17 and 18 have mechanical safeties. The grip module photoed above does not. I'd guess this is something SIG threw together as more of a "proof of concept" deal for the show rather than an actual MHX conversion.

Still, pretty neat to see. Plenty of people said modularity was stupid. A waste of time for a military handgun. One unit or organization buying some kits might not make the idea mainstream but it does show that the idea has merit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    M17 and 18 have mechanical safeties. The grip module photoed above does not. I'd guess this is something SIG threw together as more of a "proof of concept" deal for the show rather than an actual MHX conversion.
    The government is seeking a source for a quantity of 3,015 each modification kits for the conversion of the M18 Modular Handgun System (MHS) to a Sub-Compact design to meet concealed carry requirements. The required modification kit is SIG SAUER part numberWCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX. This part number contains the following SIG SAUER individual component part numbers: Kit Number:WCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX Nomenclature:CAL-X KIT, P320, COMPACT, 9MM, SIGLITE, MOD POLY X GRIP, (2) 15RD STEEL MAG, OPTIC READY SIG SAUER Kit Components: Part Number Nomenclature 8900140 SLIDE ASSY, P320 PRO, 9, 3.6IN, XRAY3, R2 OPTIC READY, BLK 1302751-03-R BARREL, 9MM CIP, SUBCOMPACT, NO LCI 1301198-R RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY, SUBCOMPACT 1302204-01-R GRIP MODULE, X-SERIES, 9/40/357, MEDIUM, BLK TRG-320-FLAT-BLK TRIGGER, P320, FLAT, 90 DEG BREAK 1300674-R PIN, SAFETY LEVER 1302734-01-R MAGAZINE, 9, 15 RD, SNAP RET., MG, BLK All responsible sources able to supply SIG SAUER KitPart number WCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX may submit their interest as a source for the required SIG SAUER part number(s)..
    The kit includes the pin to delete the safety lever.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Still, pretty neat to see. Plenty of people said modularity was stupid. A waste of time for a military handgun. One unit or organization buying some kits might not make the idea mainstream but it does show that the idea has merit.

OSI has been using SIG M11/228/229s for a long time and revolvers before that. It would be surprising if they switched to a pistol with a manual safety now.

The kit includes the pin to delete the safety lever.
    The difference between external and no external safety FCUs appears to be just the slot for the safety lever. Makes me wonder why SIG doesn't just cut all the FCUs for the safety from the factory. It would give the pistol one more modular feature.

As it is now those wishing to add a safety have to send the FCU to AB Prototype and have it cut.

User Tag List