Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USAF seeks M18 subcompact conversion kit

USAF seeks M18 subcompact conversion kit

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-...ncealed-carry/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I, for one, get frustrated watching/following SIG and the U.S. Government (USG) procurement asks (requests for proposals) & process.

SIG came out with the P320 series, which, at one time, included a subcompact model;

sometime later, SIG dropped the subcompact size option;

whether before or after the subcompact model is dropped, SIG wins over the U.S. Military with its M17 and M18 models (which didn't ask for a subcompact sized handgun);

SIG also comes out with its P365 line;

SIG seemingly has difficulty keeping up with the demand (not just SIG, as other brands are also trying to keep up w/demand);

now a branch of the USG wants a proposal for a few thousand subcompact kits, but not entire firearms;

flashback to the local department from which I retired which didn't even want us to personally change the backstraps on our issued Gen4 Glocks (a department-Armorer was supposed to do it). When we transitioned from a G22gen3 to the G17gen4, if the LEO qualified without the backstrap, he/she was sent on his way as it took too long to let everybody try out the different grip sizes with medium and large backstraps.

...just thinking out loud after I read Post 1.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I was not in favor of dropping the M9 as I 100% believed that integrating the M9A3 with the current pistols, improved maintenance schedules, AND a robust emphasis on end user training would have achieved desirable results at a much lower cost to US taxpayers.

That said - it is nice to see the US Air Force making use of the modularity of this platform in an effort to make sure no airman will die for lack of a gun.

Meanwhile my beloved Army seems to be more focused on producing recruiting videos showcasing the sexual diversity of it's soldier parents and stomping out "extremists within the ranks" than training non-SOCOM soldiers to shoot their pistols well....

Not a big fan of the M17/M18 procurement by any means, but I suspect what they want is a G19 sized sidearm for concealed carry, and this requirement will be easily solved by procuring 'compact' grip modules and 15 round magazines. SIG has already been marketing a 'M18X' using the compact X-Carry frame for similar requirements (the M18X seemed aimed towards SOCOM as a G19 replacement), though it includes other features.

Soldier Systems: SIG SAUER – M18 M18 X-CONVERSION Kit
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Further to my last post, found this.

The government is seeking a source for a quantity of 3,015 each modification kits for the conversion of the M18 Modular Handgun System (MHS) to a Sub-Compact design to meet concealed carry requirements. The required modification kit is SIG SAUER part numberWCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX. This part number contains the following SIG SAUER individual component part numbers: Kit Number:WCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX Nomenclature:CAL-X KIT, P320, COMPACT, 9MM, SIGLITE, MOD POLY X GRIP, (2) 15RD STEEL MAG, OPTIC READY SIG SAUER Kit Components: Part Number Nomenclature 8900140 SLIDE ASSY, P320 PRO, 9, 3.6IN, XRAY3, R2 OPTIC READY, BLK 1302751-03-R BARREL, 9MM CIP, SUBCOMPACT, NO LCI 1301198-R RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY, SUBCOMPACT 1302204-01-R GRIP MODULE, X-SERIES, 9/40/357, MEDIUM, BLK TRG-320-FLAT-BLK TRIGGER, P320, FLAT, 90 DEG BREAK 1300674-R PIN, SAFETY LEVER 1302734-01-R MAGAZINE, 9, 15 RD, SNAP RET., MG, BLK All responsible sources able to supply SIG SAUER KitPart number WCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX may submit their interest as a source for the required SIG SAUER part number(s).

So X-Carry Compact Frame, 15 round magazines, and the short 3.6" slide/barrel assembly. Interestingly it specifies the Pro optics slide assembly, which is different than the M17/M18 optic mount in that it has a separate dovetail for the rear sight (the M17/M18 rear sight is integrated into the optics plate). A bit surprised to see the flat trigger...

ETA: 1300674-R PIN, SAFETY LEVER...are they deleting the manual safety? Cause that'd be news.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 07-05-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Site Supporter

It's a Modular Handgun....

https://sam.gov/opp/926905a81da04107...ew#description

The Air Force is buying 3,000 kits to convert M18's to 15 round X compact configuration.

Another thread already started here...

USAF seeks M18 subcompact conversion kit

I'm wondering if 1300674-R PIN, SAFETY LEVER appearing in the parts list means they're intending to delete the manual safety...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I, for one, get frustrated watching/following SIG and the U.S. Government (USG) procurement asks (requests for proposals) & process.

SIG came out with the P320 series, which, at one time, included a subcompact model;

sometime later, SIG dropped the subcompact size option;

whether before or after the subcompact model is dropped, SIG wins over the U.S. Military with its M17 and M18 models (which didn't ask for a subcompact sized handgun);

SIG also comes out with its P365 line;

SIG seemingly has difficulty keeping up with the demand (not just SIG, as other brands are also trying to keep up w/demand);

now a branch of the USG wants a proposal for a few thousand subcompact kits, but not entire firearms;

flashback to the local department from which I retired which didn't even want us to personally change the backstraps on our issued Gen4 Glocks (a department-Armorer was supposed to do it). When we transitioned from a G22gen3 to the G17gen4, if the LEO qualified without the backstrap, he/she was sent on his way as it took too long to let everybody try out the different grip sizes with medium and large backstraps.

...just thinking out loud after I read Post 1.
    First, read the actual solicitation. They are asking for kits to convert M18's to the current X compact configuration. Not the old 12 round sub compacts.

https://sam.gov/opp/926905a81da04107...ew#description

Second, Fuck Task and Purpose. If you see something about small arms in Task and Purpose assume it's wrong.

Third, sorry your Dept has as many morons as my mine. However, as the Armorer, I have "fixed" two Gen 4 Glocks (both G26) resulting from an officer swapping backstraps and not replacing the 3rd pin.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Further to my last post, found this.

The government is seeking a source for a quantity of 3,015 each modification kits for the conversion of the M18 Modular Handgun System (MHS) to a Sub-Compact design to meet concealed carry requirements. The required modification kit is SIG SAUER part numberWCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX. This part number contains the following SIG SAUER individual component part numbers: Kit Number:WCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX Nomenclature:CAL-X KIT, P320, COMPACT, 9MM, SIGLITE, MOD POLY X GRIP, (2) 15RD STEEL MAG, OPTIC READY SIG SAUER Kit Components: Part Number Nomenclature 8900140 SLIDE ASSY, P320 PRO, 9, 3.6IN, XRAY3, R2 OPTIC READY, BLK 1302751-03-R BARREL, 9MM CIP, SUBCOMPACT, NO LCI 1301198-R RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY, SUBCOMPACT 1302204-01-R GRIP MODULE, X-SERIES, 9/40/357, MEDIUM, BLK TRG-320-FLAT-BLK TRIGGER, P320, FLAT, 90 DEG BREAK 1300674-R PIN, SAFETY LEVER 1302734-01-R MAGAZINE, 9, 15 RD, SNAP RET., MG, BLK All responsible sources able to supply SIG SAUER KitPart number WCALX-320XC-9-BSS-R2-MHX may submit their interest as a source for the required SIG SAUER part number(s).

So X-Carry Compact Frame, 15 round magazines, and the short 3.6" slide/barrel assembly. Interestingly it specifies the Pro optics slide assembly, which is different than the M17/M18 optic mount in that it has a separate dovetail for the rear sight (the M17/M18 rear sight is integrated into the optics plate). A bit surprised to see the flat trigger...

ETA: 1300674-R PIN, SAFETY LEVER...are they deleting the manual safety? Cause that'd be news.
    The 3.6" slide is only available with the Pro optics cut.

The solicitation reads like "Tell me you want a Mk27/G19 MOS without telling me you want a Mk27/G19MOS."

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....9-MOS-now-Mk27

Merged threads. Hopefully without losing anything.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List