Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 147 grain gold dot out of a 3.1 inch barrel

147 grain gold dot out of a 3.1 inch barrel

how does the 147 grain gold dot work out of a 3.1 inch barrel? I've looked and seen conflicting reports.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    how does the 147 grain gold dot work out of a 3.1 inch barrel? I've looked and seen conflicting reports.
    It comes out of my G43 barrel at about 950 FPS which should be enough to expand. It’ll leave a mark with your barrel.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Don’t know about the regular Gold Dot, but the 147gr G2 has issues expanding from short barrels (i.e. G43).

From the tests I've seen using a 3" barrel, gold dot 147 is right on the ragged edge. It is less likely to expand in clear gel than ordnance gel and less likely to expand after passing through denim than into a bare block. I avoid it...

What about 147 HST?

I've chrono'd 147gr HST at 960 fps from my G43.

I carry a gen 1 Shield with Gold Dot 115gr.. The gel and denim tests I have seen with 115 look better than 124 and 147 out of the short barrels.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

most tests show the 147 grain hst doing much better than the gold dots, guess I'll stick to those with the gold dot being in reserve or for my longer barreled pistols.. thanks guys!

most tests show the 147 grain hst doing much better than the gold dots, guess I'll stick to those with the gold dot being in reserve or for my longer barreled pistols.. thanks guys!
    That's good...since I have about 700 rounds left for the care and feeding of my various Glocks from G26 to G17.

(Though I remember some brouhaha in the last year or so about the 147 HST (standard pressure) reported by @TC215 and someone else. Don't know what came of it...and I'm still carrying the round. Hope it doesn't get me...you know...)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

HST 147 out of a 3-inch barrel Sig P938 - https://youtu.be/K3VfWkWMzOI

Gold Dot G1 147 out of same gun - https://youtu.be/xCmxakFAFRo

User Tag List