Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2021

Hurricane Season 2021

...and here we go.

Just a warm up storm to start us off here in Florida. Currently T.S. Elsa is North of Jamaica, headed NW at 14.

Name:  elsasnip.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  76.5 KB

Path predicted to cross from the Gulf into the state around Tampa, possibly just north. Of course the track doesn't show the extent of T.S. force winds, which can extend for dozens and dozens of miles.

I'm sitting at the tip of that red arrow. We are in between houses; our new place doesn't close until mid month. We're on the 4th floor of a sturdy hotel. No backup generator, and we may or may not lose power. I've discussed things with Mrs. RJ and we are all set with our plan:

Name:  hurricane_plan.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  15.5 KB

The storm is at 60 mph sustained, which is not great, but below Hurricane force (74+). So we expect some wind and damage locally, maybe flooding in low-lying areas, but nothing bad, hopefully.

Y’all be careful, over there on the east side of the Gulf.

Watch out for falling tree branches; that is what got one of my close friends, during Alicia, in 1983, crushing their car. It doesn’t take a Cat 5 storm to cause old oak trees to shed some huge branches.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

If you're going to bail instead of hunker down, I've got a spare bedroom here in Corpus. Just saying.

Y'all be safe.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Put the car on jack stands, at least. A guy I work with did that for all his hot rods and they did just fine in Harvey on their stilts.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I'm hoping for a relatively light season this year. We still haven't recovered from Laura and Delta.

Need to check over the generator and get some fresh gas for it. Plus the chain saw. And lay in a bunch of water and canned stuff, we burned through what we had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Y’all be careful, over there on the east side of the Gulf.
    Point of Florida order: he's on the West Coast. The Gulf is the end of the world as far as we're concerned.

Good luck over there, RJ. I'm sitting over here hoping they get the forecast track right, because I've done nothing but cut the grass today.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm hoping for a relatively light season this year. We still haven't recovered from Laura and Delta.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this will *not* be a light season. Sounds goofy, but the air has been too thick too early this year...

On a happy note, the folks got the roof redone last summer, and by a roofer Dad has known personally for a long time.
    I can't remember if the lanai was re-screened or not- if so, it should hold and if not, it was time for a replacement.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Point of Florida order: he's on the West Coast. The Gulf is the end of the world as far as we're concerned.
    Yes, west coast of Florida, but east side of the Gulf of Mexico. RJ is on the blue-water/white sand side of the Gulf, whereas we are on the brown-water/brown-sand side, in SE Texas.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

We just pushed out by at least one week a trip to Dunedin due to this storm. Hope all is well for @RJ and all.

User Tag List