Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the Python that got squibbed?

Is this the Python that got squibbed?

https://youtu.be/Pik17e9zxk4

Awhile back someone posted about a Python that got the barrel shot full after a squib. Is this it?

I tried finding the original post.

Now that’s a leaded barrel! 😁 The gunsmith didn’t say why it would need a new barrel…????

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Now that’s a leaded barrel! 😁 The gunsmith didn’t say why it would need a new barrel…????
    It appeared to be packed with bullets from muzzle to breach. Removing that much lead would likely damage the barrel badly enough to make it a pointless endeavor.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It appeared to be packed with bullets from muzzle to breach. Removing that much lead would likely damage the barrel badly enough to make it a pointless endeavor.
    I’m always up for a challenge,and would have to give it a try. Having said that, a new barrel for my M686+ was only $135.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I do not understand this. Lead alloys melt around 625 to 750 degrees F, which is a level that should not impact most steel heat treatments. Is there any issue with heating the barrel in a lead melting pot and allowing the lead to soften and melt? Just softening the lead should make mechanical removal easier. If most of the lead can be made molten and drip from the bore, could the rest be removed through typical means?

Another way that was once common was to use mercury. The issue today is the hazardous waste as well as the risk of mercury and lead poisoning. Not recommending this method as mercury poisoning is bad news. Mad hatters were a real thing and not at all pleasant.

The owner apparently requested a new one according to what was said in the video. I don't see how you could stack em the barrel like that and not do some sort of damage.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do not understand this. Lead alloys melt around 625 to 750 degrees F, which is a level that should not impact most steel heat treatments. Is there any issue with heating the barrel in a lead melting pot and allowing the lead to soften and melt? Just softening the lead should make mechanical removal easier. If most of the lead can be made molten and drip from the bore, could the rest be removed through typical means?
    That's a good question...one I'm not qualified to answer.

I can say that the steels used in most revolvers is extremely mild. I'm not sure what heat treating they are using/used on the barrels or the frames of the guns as I believe both were forged and then machined down to the final dimensions. What they did after the rifling was cut to the bore I can't say.

It is a fair bet that the barrel was exposed to significantly higher pressures than originally intended with that many bullets stacked in it. The barrel is intact...which is a testament to it being overbuilt and probably being shot with mild wadcutter loads...but there's no telling what violence has been done to the rifling in the barrel by all that foolishness.

This is probably one of those scenarios where someone could clear the bore, but the odds of ending up with an inaccurate or unserviceable barrel are so high that it makes sense to just buy a new barrel rather than incur a lot of extra expense for an iffy outcome.
    3/15/2016

The gunsmith seemed to be saying he couldn’t find a barrel. He has a drill press, so drill out 75% of the core, and use a wooden dowel to drive out the remaining sleeve. The first 2-3 rounds might have cause a lot of pressure in the barrel, but the pressure from the remaining rounds probably bled (mostly) through the BC gap. I don’t want to sound too judgmental, but maybe the owner should be using a cap gun. 😁

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Looks like the one to me.

I would turn a bushing for an aircraft drill and another one for a tap, to keep them centered and aligned. Then you could just thread some rod into them one at a time and draw them out using the threads on the rod. Would be fiddly and time consuming, but they would come out. Probably wouldn't save the barrel, but would be fun to have the exhibit and see how bad it really was. Better to pull them out back toward the forcing cone, as Python barrels taper slightly (~0.001" is what I've read) from forcing cone to muzzle.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List