Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories of a stupid kid stories...

In junior high, I bought an exploding target center, and learned a couple of things:
    -a BB gun doesn't cause them to explode
    -a hammer blow does, but
    -the close proximity needed for proper detonation with a hammer is not necessarily the same as a safe viewing distance
    -one's ears can ring for a surprisingly long time
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

[QUOTE=rd62;1239537
    Homemade bombs made from the powder and primers from shotgun shells
    [/QUOTE]

Not really a funny story but a friend's little brother did this with a metal pipe when he was 10ish thinking he was making a rocket and made a pipe bomb instead. They were very rural and guns and ammo were commonplace. When he touched it off, it blew off one of his hands and fragged his whole torso. He barely survived but eventually pulled through. His even younger sister was killed in an ATV accident a few years later. One of those families that experienced far more tragedy then they deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I responded in a way that was appropriate, at least in my mind.

Nobody else thought so.
    Story of my life.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My Grandpop lived on one of the large Central Florida lakes, and had a boathouse over that lake. Rule was if you needed to do anything inside, you took a quick peek at the corners, and as was not uncommon, had to go back to the house and grab the shotgun to clean out the water moccasins.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Got into model rocketry pretty heavy. Discovered pretty quickly that they could be used as a firework delivery device.

Also made a shoulder fired rocket launcher. Fashioned fin guides out of high tension fence wire, placed inside 5" PVC tube, attached a grip using pipe clamps, light switch in front of the grip that worked just like a trigger, had a safety, blast shield (this was a must), 9v battery storage compartment, hinged rear loading gate, and of course a sling.

I once hit a tractor at 150 yards, not sure how many attempts were made.

This sounds like the origin story for the RPG-7.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Story of my life.
    We may be the same person.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I was invited to play hockey. I had no idea how to play the game. About 10 minutes into it, some guy checked me. I didn’t realize that was legal, I took it as an assault, and I responded in a way that was appropriate, at least in my mind.

Nobody else thought so.

I was never invited to play again.

...and then she was signed by the Islanders...🤣
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    ...and then she was signed by the Islanders...🤣

From the blue seats,
    Potvin sucks...

"... And miles to go before I sleep".

I was living in Miami and attending a lot of those early Panthers games at the Miami Arena through the 1996 Stanley Cup run (and loss to the Avalanche).

Still have a puck or two from the season in box down in the garage...and a couple of the rubber rats that used to be thrown on the ice. Classic.

Mellanby was a gamer...and also, as I remember, the one who got the whole rat saga going.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Pretending we were ninjas and running around on the roof of my parents house and jumping from roof to roof. Then jumping off the roof and doing barrel rolls when hitting the grass. Why nobody broke a limb is sheer luck. We were in fifth grade.

Playing with fire, gasoline, and fireworks. Oh boy. Dousing a tennis ball in lighter fluid, lighting it, and then kicking it down the street.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

User Tag List