Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Click if you hate ticks

Site Supporter

"You wouldn't hire him to be a birthday clown."

Site Supporter
    Another reason to hate DEET...

It is my understanding that DEET is a fish repellant. Not so good if you're trying to avoid bugs and fish.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Another reason to hate DEET...

It is my understanding that DEET is a fish repellant. Not so good if you're trying to avoid bugs and fish.

Chris
    From what I’ve seen any insect repellent also keeps fish away. Learned this by using the repellent at my vehicle before heading to the body of water. Any lure or bait you touch will be shunned by the fish from there on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    From what I’ve seen any insect repellent also keeps fish away. Learned this by using the repellent at my vehicle before heading to the body of water. Any lure or bait you touch will be shunned by the fish from there on.
    Entirely possible. I've only heard of it with DEET though. I generally try not to use topical sprays, so I don't often have them on my skin.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Always on the key chain:

These also work quite well for over-inserted foam ear plugs, or so I'm told. I would never over insert ear plugs, and never ever do it twice.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    These also work quite well for over-inserted foam ear plugs, or so I'm told. I would never over insert ear plugs, and never ever do it twice.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    That's dumb, just push them through to the other side.
    Don't need no fancy gadgets for that task.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If you get bit by a Lone Star tick and then develop Alpha-gal syndrome, you might change your mind.
    As a native Texan and absolute fiend for smoked dead critters, that's one of the few things in the galaxy that would make me swallow a J-frame.

Site Supporter
    If you get bit by a Lone Star tick and then develop Alpha-gal syndrome, you might change your mind.
    I know one of the Dr.’s who was in the group that did the preliminary work id’ing this and got a chance to talk to him about it a couple of years ago. One of the first patients he worked with was a young boy from a very impoverished family in south Alabama that relies on venison as one of their primary forms of protein. As mentioned in the article the delay in onset of symptoms means the kid ended up having to make a trip to the emergency room at 2am twice before he ended up at the Doc’s clinic where they were able to id the specific allergy, and eventually the mechanism of the reaction after a lot of work with colleagues.

He also told me that they continue to see more cases in central/south Alabama (from around Montgomery to the FL panhandle) than any other region in the Country.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    It's one of those things that it is usually better to rent.
    I didn’t know renting ticks was a thing
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I use Cutter's 40% DEET before going out on a walk. I just ordered some permethrin to treat my clothes.
    I treated my hiking duds this morning, they’re hanging in the garage to dry. My roommate looked at the bottle and said that she was afraid that that stuff would have a cancer risk. My response was I am more worried about Zika virus, West Nile virus, and all the other shit that the mosquitoes and ticks are carrying.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List