Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in a self-opening sheath for a waved folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Or....a sheath for an open folder.
    This is of questionable legality in my AO, based on reading case law. I thought about going this route, but I'm not sure it just wouldn't result in legal trouble, where a folder that was closed and drew on opening is clearly legal from the reading (as long as there is no button released spring used to jettison the blade).

There are many sheath makers that will make an Emerson hook on their sheath. If one deems this reliable. I prefer a Knife I can palm closed so I can draw and prepare on the low down. Nothing is as consistent as the manual opening of a folder.
    The mid-line knife would be one of two carried. I usually carry two knives, typically a Clinch Pick or other fixed blade at basically the mid-line. The mid-line blade is a knife reserved primarily for emergency purposes. The second is a utility folder, used for all the other mundane tasks, but which can also be used as a defensive tool in the surreptitious role you describe above. Of course, one can use both for tasks and sometimes a reverse edge blade excels at tasks a normal blade doesn't, but that is really another thread unto itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This is of questionable legality in my AO, based on reading case law. I thought about going this route, but I'm not sure it just wouldn't result in legal trouble, where a folder that was closed and drew on opening is clearly legal from the reading (as long as there is no button released spring used to jettison the blade).

The mid-line knife would be one of two carried. I usually carry two knives, typically a Clinch Pick or other fixed blade at basically the mid-line. The mid-line blade is a knife reserved primarily for emergency purposes. The second is a utility folder, used for all the other mundane tasks, but which can also be used as a defensive tool in the surreptitious role you describe above. Of course, one can use both for tasks and sometimes a reverse edge blade excels at tasks a normal blade doesn't, but that is really another thread unto itself.
    So you can carry a fixed blade but not an open folder?

If I could legally carry a fixed blade I would carry that (2?) and a Swiss army knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    So you can carry a fixed blade but not an open folder?

If I could legally carry a fixed blade I would carry that (2?) and a Swiss army knife.
    Sorry.

I moved recently to a new state. New state, new laws. Old state, I carried a fixed blade and a folder. New state - no fixed blades allowed to be concealed. Unclear if an open folder in a sheath is allowable by law. For sure clear, a folder that is closed, even if in a sheath that opens it when withdrawn, as long as it isn't an auto.

I've carried the same CQC-6K (8Cr14MoV) since about 2015 I think. I've used it as an EDC knife in my front right pocket. I use the wave just about everytime I remove it from my pocket, and use it for a ton of utility stuff. Friday i used it to lift drywall a 1/4" so it was in place to screw. Then I opened boxes when I got home. Then, I sharpened a pencil with it. It sees alot of use, and I've ordered replacement parts from Kershaw twice I think.

I also have the trainer, which I brought to one of Cecil's classes to see how it would work as a social tool. I think I did okay with it. When I wasn't getting my ass totally handed to me, and I wanted my blade I got it in the fight without issue. I can also draw it reverse grip or standard. When that arm/hip is free it's an option.

The reason I bring this up isn't to sound badass. I got my ass kicked plenty. My point is the deployment depended on my arm/pocket being available to me and my desire to use that tool. Shifting that hip away, and using the wave I use everyday for normal tasks.

The type of carry position you're discussing doesn't sound viable to me. The opening sequence requires space. When Les stabbed the fuck out of me with a clinch pick, he pulled it while there was zero space. It created the space. The waved CQC needs to be pulled out further to get the blade locked, then it can push some off. The clinch picks need less space before they're viable, and that carry method they were designed for. The CQC is a great tool, and I still choose it over a clinch pick by choice. But it's designed for a pocket. It's better than a traditional folder, but isn't a small get off tool. I think it's more likely you cut yourself on deployment during grappling, fail to open the blade, or introduce a loose knife in between you and the bad guy.

I'm curious to see how this plays out, and I hope I'm totally wrong and it's a smash hit. Right now, I think if the front pocket carry of a CQC wasn't an option (concealment climate or whatever reason) I'd be looking at the wrestling tutorials thread and trying to work BJJ into my schedule somehow. They will pay off more than a tool.

Also, I think the 8Cr14MoV version may be getting discontinued. Seems most places only have the more expensive D2 version. I wish these knives were still $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I've carried the same CQC-6K (8Cr14MoV) since about 2015 I think. I've used it as an EDC knife in my front right pocket. I use the wave just about everytime I remove it from my pocket, and use it for a ton of utility stuff. Friday i used it to lift drywall a 1/4" so it was in place to screw. Then I opened boxes when I got home. Then, I sharpened a pencil with it. It sees alot of use, and I've ordered replacement parts from Kershaw twice I think.

I also have the trainer, which I brought to one of Cecil's classes to see how it would work as a social tool. I think I did okay with it. When I wasn't getting my ass totally handed to me, and I wanted my blade I got it in the fight without issue. I can also draw it reverse grip or standard. When that arm/hip is free it's an option.

The reason I bring this up isn't to sound badass. I got my ass kicked plenty. My point is the deployment depended on my arm/pocket being available to me and my desire to use that tool. Shifting that hip away, and using the wave I use everyday for normal tasks.

The type of carry position you're discussing doesn't sound viable to me. The opening sequence requires space. When Les stabbed the fuck out of me with a clinch pick, he pulled it while there was zero space. It created the space. The waved CQC needs to be pulled out further to get the blade locked, then it can push some off. The clinch picks need less space before they're viable, and that carry method they were designed for. The CQC is a great tool, and I still choose it over a clinch pick by choice. But it's designed for a pocket. It's better than a traditional folder, but isn't a small get off tool. I think it's more likely you cut yourself on deployment during grappling, fail to open the blade, or introduce a loose knife in between you and the bad guy.

I'm curious to see how this plays out, and I hope I'm totally wrong and it's a smash hit. Right now, I think if the front pocket carry of a CQC wasn't an option (concealment climate or whatever reason) I'd be looking at the wrestling tutorials thread and trying to work BJJ into my schedule somehow. They will pay off more than a tool.

Also, I think the 8Cr14MoV version may be getting discontinued. Seems most places only have the more expensive D2 version. I wish these knives were still $25.
    Concur - The waved folder takes more space to open. The bigger the knife and/or the greater the distance the wave is from the pivot the more space needed to open it.

That's why I immediately switched the idea away from the P'kal. If there was a Kershaw-Emerson blade equivalent to the Emerson CQC-14 "Snubby" that would be the best choice, because you get a full sized handle, but shorter blade (thus shorter deploy distance). Only reason I didn't bother with the Snubby is the price and ephemeral availability of that blade from Emerson.

Whether or not we get failed or easily stuffed openings during grappling - will probably be dependent on both the skill of the user and the quality of the product. Hence my desire to pressure test this rig.

That said, I wrote down your notes here so I can track them and report back!

Everyone has been helpful so far, keep the thoughts coming.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  89.4 KB

Here is a CQC-7K with a 2.5 in sheep’s foot / wharncliffe blade that I carry when traveling. I made two, but the other one went in the trash can in the Phoenix airport. The shorter blade waves a lot faster and more positively, and requires less movement to accomplish.

Deployment sheath made for the P'kal. Shock cord and kydex. Special Circumstances Inc. / Ian Wendt. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nch-Pick-esque

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  55.9 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  56.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ^^^This. And one sheath should work for live and trainer.
    Put me down for this as well!

Where are we at with this? I want someone to take my money and send me a little piece of plastic that will be the cure to all that ails me.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I haven't forgotten about this folks...and now with Flamingo and Rob's Tools coming up...maybe something is in the pipeline.

User Tag List