Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in a self-opening sheath for a waved folder?

Anyone interested in a self-opening sheath for a waved folder?

I am going to have a rig made up here to hold a Kershaw-Emerson CQC6K. It'll be positioned in the inguinal crease mid-line like a Clinch Pick. I chose the K-E CQC6K, because it's inexpensive, sturdy, and the wave is low profile, allowing the sheath to be low profile too. Plus the Kershaw-Emerson E-Train is cheap and easy to acquire.

The prototyping is going to start soon with Offensive Industries.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS6...-steel-handles

There are now two variants of the drop-point CQC6K - the cheaper one has a 8Cr14MoV blade, the more expensive has a D2. They are both framelocks, made off shore.

If anyone is interested I'll talk with Offensive Industries about getting a run of sheaths done for both live and trainer blades. I can't guarantee there will be a price break, but he'll have my knives to mold from and thus could conceivably do a run. Don't expect them to be super cheap, but the goal is functional kydex that auto-opens a waved folder on draw stroke. There will be both a trainer sheath and a live sheath. You'll get one of each, supply your own blades.

I have no firm timeline on prototyping. I'm hoping to have a proto for trainer at Cecil's IAJJ class in Seattle in Sept, if you'll be there you can check it out.

If you're interested, send me a PM, no commitment at this stage, since we need to see and pressure test the prototype(s). I'll keep you in the loop and post updates in this thread.

I've made a few such sheaths in the past, albeit for different orientations in wear. I think finding a good compromise of accessible handle for gripping and effective concealment, as well as addressing the space requirements of the swinging blade (and edge orientation, whether upwards or downwards when opened...); will most likely be your main burdens in design, before you delve into the specifics of the build itself. I think that there's a few tricks that you could probably use to pare things down to the absolute bare minimum required for the function, so as to avoid the traditional bulk and excesses of kydex folding knife pouches.

I wish you the best in the endeavor.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

I am interested in one. I will be more than happy to help you out pressure testing it in September too!

Edit: yes, potentially interested. Good idea.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Interested but for a Spyderco P'kal
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    ^^^This. And one sheath should work for live and trainer.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I am interested in one. I will be more than happy to help you out pressure testing it in September too!
    I’m up for some half-assed pressure testing.

And probably the whole sheath/live/drone system… I’m a sharps whore like that. #fact
    ”When antisemitism moves from the shameful fringe into the public square, it is not about Jews… it is about the surrounding society or the culture or the country. It is an early warning system—a sign that the society itself is breaking down. That it is dying.” -Bari Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    So, I initially wanted to do precisely that, the P'Kal.

When I started futzing around with just an impromptu positioning of the knife along the midline, I found the spine of the blade and the wave were too prominent. This meant to get the blade to reliably snap open, I had to practically draw the knife from the midline down to my knee or across the body to my right hand hip (carried left of belt buckle).

The CQC6K has the shorter wave and narrower (width wise) blade, which meant more reliable opening in a shorter draw stroke, only slightly longer than a clinch pick stroke.

Recognizing how the draw stroke can be fouled with a two on one or a good clinch overall, I want the shortest drawstroke possible that reliably gets the blade open.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ^^^This. And one sheath should work for live and trainer.
    In theory the E-Train and CQC6K are identical, one sheath should work for both. But I'm not going to make that promise up front, since we're still in design stage.

--

Of course some folks may wonder why this instead of a clinch pick. Legality in places where carry of a fixed blade isn't legal.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So, I initially wanted to do precisely that, the P'Kal.

When I started futzing around with just an impromptu positioning of the knife along the midline, I found the spine of the blade and the wave were too prominent. This meant to get the blade to reliably snap open, I had to practically draw the knife from the midline down to my knee or across the body to my right hand hip (carried left of belt buckle).

The CQC6K has the shorter wave and narrower (width wise) blade, which meant more reliable opening in a shorter draw stroke, only slightly longer than a clinch pick stroke.

Recognizing how the draw stroke can be fouled with a two on one or a good clinch overall, I want the shortest drawstroke possible that reliably gets the blade open.

In theory the E-Train and CQC6K are identical, one sheath should work for both. But I'm not going to make that promise up front, since we're still in design stage.

--

Of course some folks may wonder why this instead of a clinch pick. Legality in places where carry of a fixed blade isn't legal.
    Or....a sheath for an open folder.

There are many sheath makers that will make an Emerson hook on their sheath. If one deems this reliable. I prefer a Knife I can palm closed so I can draw and prepare on the low down. Nothing is as consistent as the manual opening of a folder.
    Last edited by Navin Johnson; 07-02-2021 at 10:58 PM.

I’d be interested in that.

User Tag List