Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft trainer

While I don't shoot an optic, I found an excellent CO2 BB pistol to practice in my basement with. It is not especially accurate so I shoot at paper plates on boxes at about 20 ft. It is a very good replica with a functioning slide, functioning safety/decocker, and the replaceable magazine house 18 BBs and the gas cylinder.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/product/b...-pistol?m=3659

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    While I don't shoot an optic, I found an excellent CO2 BB pistol to practice in my basement with. It is not especially accurate so I shoot at paper plates on boxes at about 20 ft. It is a very good replica with a functioning slide, functioning safety/decocker, and the replaceable magazine house 18 BBs and the gas cylinder.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/product/b...-pistol?m=3659
    Do you have any issues with BB splashback? That’s why I always stuck with Airsoft for basement shenanigans.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

We had another good thread on the merits of airsoft... Click here for the link. I also found a post that brings back some painful memories...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ve had good experience with airsoft as a FoF training tool. Except for getting shot in the dickhole. That was not a good experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ...My hand was fucked up and my Johnson was on fire...

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

We went to a class with airsoft Glock type guns and I was surprised at how well they worked. In one of the scenarios, one of my guys shot the “bad guy” under his face shield and hit him in the neck bringing blood.

I remember standing at the door fixing to go in and confront the “bad guy” and double and triple checking the airsoft gun to be sure it wasn’t my real gun. The lessons learned that day with a “toy” were enough to make a few of us want to buy them and continue to train with them. But the pandemic hit a week later and the world changed. Might revisit this idea again.

I’ve done some FoF training with airsoft before it’s definitely a good tool especially considering the price. I played at an airsoft field with my son for his birthday and had a ton of fun. Saw a lot of individuals that were super into it and probably had a few thousand dollars put into there kit one of the guys even had a SAW.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Do you have any issues with BB splashback? That’s why I always stuck with Airsoft for basement shenanigans.
    I am not sure what you mean by splashback. If you are talking about BBs ricocheting, I shoot into a HD Heavy grade moving box which contains them pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by splashback. If you are talking about BBs ricocheting, I shoot into a HD Heavy grade moving box which contains them pretty well.
    Yes, ricochet. Words are hard before coffee cup #2. Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yes, ricochet. Words are hard before coffee cup #2. Thank you!
    A great tip for DIY targets for both airsoft and air gun pellets is to buy a few bricks of duct putty at your local hardware store at about $4 per. You can spread it out thin for airsoft BBs, which will tend to stick and reduce the mess, but will need it thicker for pellets, which will go deeper and need to be dug out. The stuff takes forever to dry out, and can be kneaded to refresh it a bit.

I’m looking at what Tokyo Marui makes in GBB guns… this is tempting.
    Ken

Airsoft was going to revolutionize USPSA training. Set up stages in your garage, practice Steel Challenge stages for pennies from the comfort of your living room, etc.

It didn't revolutionize training. Most found it more beneficial to dryfire with their actual gun than shoot plastic BBs with a pistol that is too dissimilar to your real pistol. I went down that rabbit hole years ago and that was my conclusion as well.

(If you want to try it - black BBs are better than white as you can't see them as well and you won't be as distracted watching the black BBs fly as you would be white BBs.)

I think it has more value as FOF training than as a replacement for dryfire training.

User Tag List