Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ogival Wadcutters

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Yes. They do have a certain panache’ about them.

If they’re a 35yd Keith SWC...yeah...what’s the point.

Well...that do look cool.🤔
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I never cast or shot orgival wadcutters. Theory is that they can be accurate to 90 yards. Some will say that swc accuracy does not extend to 100 yards, but that was not my experience. I used to stunt shoot with them. I suggest that interested persons research LBT style cast bullets. The shape is ideal. Veral Smith, an aged man, still makes the original mold for them. I talked with him within the last few months. Tell him the revolver or rifle they are to be used in, and he can make a mold that's custom fit. Orgival wc's and LBT's bullets started with Veral. He did hard time for income tax issues. I don't hold that against him.

Looks like primary utilization is for a carbine. Flat nose in a tubular magazine.

Site Supporter
    That looks really cool. Love the WFN in a .44. It just looks like it's gonna give a thumping to something.

Every once in a while when I think about carrying my G30, I wonder about a SWC type target load like the one sold by Wilson as a defensive round instead of the semi auto .45 Colt type ballistics you get with my preferred 230gr HST +P at 950fps.

Similar to using a .38 wadcutter in that you get light recoil, low velocity, excellent accuracy and (presumably) adequate penetration and a .45 caliber hole.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That looks really cool. Love the WFN in a .44. It just looks like it's gonna give a thumping to something.

Every once in a while when I think about carrying my G30, I wonder about a SWC type target load like the one sold by Wilson as a defensive round instead of the semi auto .45 Colt type ballistics you get with my preferred 230gr HST +P at 950fps.

Similar to using a .38 wadcutter in that you get light recoil, low velocity, excellent accuracy and (presumably) adequate penetration and a .45 caliber hole.

Name:  IMG_20210712_220805.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  41.8 KB

The 2 . ACPs are a 230gr HST+p and my 255gr swc @940fps

I remember something from a long time ago that may or may not be true. Supposedly the ogival type wadcutter really lends itself to mechanical accuracy. The shape allows it to rotate the cylinder throat into alignment with the forcing cone as it passes through. Then, once in the bore, being lead, it obdurates effectively with the bore. The key is that the cylinder throats have to be equal to or larger than the bore. I abandoned hardcast pretty quickly in my revolver journey, but the few hardcast ogival wadcutters I experimented with did seem to be pretty accurate. I may revisit them. Have you run across anyone making a powdercoated version of these using actual hardcast alloy?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  IMG_20210712_220805.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  41.8 KB

The 2 . ACPs are a 230gr HST+p and my 255gr swc @940fps
    Oof, that's hot.

May I ask what sort of load you're using to get a 255gr SWC to 940?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Oof, that's hot.

May I ask what sort of load you're using to get a 255gr SWC to 940?

6gr unique

User Tag List