Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ogival Wadcutters

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Ogival Wadcutters

All this talkin’ on the .44 Russian got me back to the bench.

A few years back, I experimented a bit with various .431 cast bullets in my 3” GP100. As you could probably expect, I had great results with the 240gr-255gr Keith-style slugs. Along with those, I tried a 250gr RNHP and a 240gr OWC. I had originally attempted to load them like the other 240-250gr bullets using the usual loads of 2400 and Unique. My results, especially with the wadcutters, wasn’t so great. I was pushing them between 800-925fps. I settled on the Keith SWC and stopped there.

So this afternoon, I dug them off the shelf and decided to try a different route. This spread is loaded between 6.5 and 5.5gr Unique. I’ll try going in the other direction. He goal here is...well I’m not sure. Lol. Small game load maybe? Lower recoil SD load? Not sure. If they work out, I’ll find a use for them.

Name:  B26C82F5-405E-4F20-8BE9-DA25758C2642.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  54.9 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Style points for that loading block.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I like where these ideas are going.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Interesting, I wasn’t aware ogival wadcutters were a thing! What kind of advantage are they supposed to offer over a full WC or a SWC?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Story goes you can drive them at a higher velocity, they’re stable out to about 75yds, and a good game round.

I just think they look cool.🤷

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Interesting, I wasn’t aware ogival wadcutters were a thing! What kind of advantage are they supposed to offer over a full WC or a SWC?

Very large meplat (The front part that hits the intended target). When a projectile such as this is used, versus a traditional wadcutter, there is simply more room in the cartridge case to put more powder, so therefore you get more speed.

Big frontal area that hits things and causes more tissue damage than other profiles like round nose, and can do so at a faster velocity. That is the more or less the idea.

Same reason why a lot of guys load heavy for caliber wadcutters further out of the case, so they can put more powder behind them.

In my experience in shooting various animals large and small, hardcast bullets with sharp edged wadcutter type profiles do very well when it comes to deep penetration and terminal performance.

* I actually would much rather hunt with a good heavy hard cast bullet of proper design than almost any JHP for larger bodied animals.
    * I will mention that every once in a while you will find a gun that prefers jacketed to hardcast. I have a 7.5" Redhawk that shoots 300 grain XTPs into tiny little groups when pushed by H110, so that gun shoots that load pretty much exclusively.

However it literally is the only big bore revolver I have that is zeroed for a jacketed bullet.

That ogival wadcutter is a very nice looking bullet!

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I just think they look cool.🤷
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Big frontal area that hits things and causes more tissue damage than other profiles like round nose, and can do so at a faster velocity. That is the more or less the idea.
    I've been a fan of the WFN in revolvers/Contenders for a long time.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I might load a heavier charged spread again too. Maybe with a different powder like 2400. I got more Unique than 2400 tho... I have to look on the shelves to see what’s there. I know there is some CFE Pistol, Blue Dot, HP38, and AA7 & 9. All left over from various other endeavors when it was cheap.

I had trouble getting the OWCs to shoot out of both of my GPs at velocities. <950. I got them shoot good at 15 grains of 2400 and I still have a few that is loaded with a stout charge of HS7 that did great. I am starting to think these OWCs were designed for magnum guns and velocities. I hope to take a deer this fall with one. I am almost out of them and keep asking my self what these do that the Keith bullet don't. All i have really come up with so far is they look cool riding in a cartridge belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I am almost out of them and keep asking my self what these do that the Keith bullet don't. All i have really come up with so far is they look cool riding in a cartridge belt.
    I’ve reached much the same conclusion. 44 Russian cases loaded with 240-grain SWCs are another story.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List