Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best Resting Trigger Finger Position - Critical Mas

Site Supporter
    "...high, to the limit of natural extension."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    That’s always how I understood it after listening to a podcast with Craig years ago. I try to use the Shivworks “ejection port” high register as well.
    Me too. I find with my current G17 Gen 4 I can mash my boogerhook between the barrel hood and the front edge of the ejection port. Thick gloves or bare hands, it works. As it heats up the front edge of the ejection port serves well. In terms of minutes spent I spend FAR more time searching with a gun in my hand than shooting, so 95%+ of the time I am well served with the front of the ejection port. I have also had those searches turn into fights, foot chases, and unexpected encounters of the "don't shoot" or "don't shoot-yet" type. I have also spent a good bit of time (hours) over the last 23+ years negotiating with a gun in my hand. I really like a defined, hard register location on my piece, and will spend a good deal of time in admin handling, dry fire, simulated searches, and live fire to find what works for me, my hands, and the gun I am currently carrying.

My last issued piece was a S&W M&P9, and I could do it, but it was an uncomfortable stretch and it blocked my LaserGrips. The lower edge of the ejection port works for that one. I never enjoyed using the end of the slide stop of my 1911 as a register point, with a straight or bent finger. @DocGKR recommended the rear lip of the ejection port, which worked for years, and didn't interfere with my laser. It did't work at all with my Sig P229 as I recall, and I elected for the backside of the takedown catch, which functions differently than the end of the slide stop on a 1911, and blocked my laser.

My new church goin' LCR is just plain uncomfortable with almost anything but a straight trigger finger, and the frame is really slick, potentially relegating me to a straight trigger finger. I think I might get a small piece of grip tape and create an index point between the cylinder window and the tigger guard. But I have to have the piece inspected annually, and that would cover the serial number and the seam between the frame portions, making it a "reapply annualy after qualifications" solution. Ultimately, so many other points of working a snubby are compromises I suspect this gun will be a straight trigger finger gun despite best practices for all my other work guns.

By the way, I have mentioned this before, but I like lasers on a do all, carry everywhere pistol. Secondary (or tertiary) visual sighting reference, for comproised, unsupported, unfamiliar shooting positions (think shield driving, etc) and for teaching handgun courses as I demo certain things. I don't need them, and will give them up before I give up a solid, hard register. I thought Lasermaxx would be a good solution, but after a year I am still trying to like it. CTC Lasergrips with a parallel zero at 10, 15, or 25 yards depending on the gun and then trigger time at other distances to learn my limitations.

pat

User Tag List