Thread: Larue Stuff: LAT + LT158

Larue Stuff: LAT + LT158

I'm scraping up parts to round out an upper build (may eventually grow a lower, we'll see). Using a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel, BCM upper (had good luck with these and the slightly tighter bore), Larue LAT 11" handguard, Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 M3 Mildot scope in a Larue LT-158 VFZ (non-QD) mount (1.44" height with 10 MOA).

I know Geissele and others are much more modern and tend to be preferred. At the same time, Larue has a lot of runtime in theatre and frankly I was able to buy the Larue handguard + mount brand new for less than I was going to pay for a used Geissele mount.

I guess I'm just looking for a little validation and/or sharing of experience from those with experience with these things. As much as I've done with AR's, honestly most of it has been Geissele, BCM, DD, and Noveske-centric. I have a Larue mount on my T-1, I like it and have had several (LT660). I've also had a few Larue QD mounts on other optics (mostly 1-4's) and under ACOGs with good success.

Overall the upper will be setup with an AAC SPR/M4 reflex can as a hunting upper with a bent towards a short SPR-ish thing. In the future I'd like to add an RMR piggybacked at 12:00 to the Leupold (I've tried offset and piggyback and strongly prefer to keep the MRDS on the centerline). Was looking at the Trijicon mount for that as it seems to be a little lower than the Larue ring version.

Thanks for any feedback.

Name:  F36BA100-8F19-42E9-80BD-61836BFBD7E9.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  62.8 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

3.5X for close quarters work is pretty difficult so adding the RDS is a good idea if you foresee that happening. I still run a LaRue on my 16" middy with a 1-4X Vortex Razor. The LaRue works well as long as you keep everything tight.

On my SPR, I have run a few different optics, including a 2.5-10 Nightforce, 1-8 Burris XTR II, and a 4-16 Vortex HST. I want to try the 4-16 ATACR and the 2.5-20 NX8 because I have had the opportunity to shoot small targets at distances beyond 400 yards, and the reticle gets pretty thick on the lower magnification stuff.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 07-01-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'm not familiar with those Larue products.

If I were planning on a piggyback setup I'd look closely at the offerings from Reptilia and Badger Ordnance. Being able to integrate the MRDS mount into the ring is pretty slick and reduces weight.

I have a Burris Fastfire in a Burris 30mm mount for it. It places the dot at the perfect height over my NXS turret.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm not familiar with those Larue products.

If I were planning on a piggyback setup I'd look closely at the offerings from Reptilia and Badger Ordnance. Being able to integrate the MRDS mount into the ring is pretty slick and reduces weight.

I have a Burris Fastfire in a Burris 30mm mount for it. It places the dot at the perfect height over my NXS turret.
    That's exactly the setup I'm looking for. I hear you on Badger and Reptilia. Maybe when I get the coin scraped up for the MRDS I'll go all-in and upgrade the mount too. The RMR shown in the pic above is going on a G45 MOS. I agree from a form and function standpoint that is the way to go. Just struggle to justify $450 in optic mounts alone.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List