Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new crop of portable power banks that can be recharged with solar

Site Supporter
    Following
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So if I had the money, I’d be curious to see if the solar cell/battery bank setup is more handy and easier to operate than say a light and handy 1kw inverter gasoline powered generator like this. The problem is that you can get a 2000w Champion inverter for about $50 more, but I can’t help thinking that we need more 1000w inverter gasoline powered generators. However, we don’t have a lot to choose from and the few that are available are all fairly expensive and not worth over a much cheaper solar cell/battery bank setup or a readily available 2000-2500w inverter gasoline inverter job.
    #RESIST

I’m awaiting a verbal review from a forum member regarding this device and a solar cell.

https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Fl...s%2C226&sr=8-3
    #RESIST

We have a Jackery 240 and a non-folding 50W panel (the panel is the type you'd permanently install on the roof, aluminum frame, etc, except smaller - it's 2x2 feet or so ... when we use it we're traveling in a pickup so don't need it to fold up small).

Relative to a generator:
    -on the one hand, only 240W and a full charge gives you way, way, way less electrons than a generator and gas can.
    -on the other hand, it gives you the watts it will as long as the sun shines, no carrying gas cans, zero noise etc

It fits in a 50 cal ammo can with various other bits, e.g. a charger for AA's and 18650s.

It's lighter and more convenient than a lead acid+solar controller+inverter. It's probably more expensive, because when one component fails I doubt it can be economically repaired.

Our use case is car camping trips. We have rural land where we go for extended stays. It can e..g charge the electric chainsaw batteries,on cold nights it runs a heating pad for the geriatric pooch, and of course it will keep phones etc charged as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m awaiting a verbal review from a forum member regarding this device and a solar cell.

https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Fl...s%2C226&sr=8-3
    Ok, here’s the word from our forum member and bestselling author. Absolutely recommended, he has gotten use out of it in an area with significant weather related power issues and he relates that the newer ROCKPALS folding solar panels are the way to go with these little power stations.
    #RESIST

Home Depot has Jackery and some other brands of solar panels and battery boxes on their daily deals page. Have to scroll down past the week wackers, etc.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I hear a LOT about goal zero from the various woodworking/maker youtubes I watch. Pretty sure that's because most of them are sponsored.
    They hit a few markets VERY hard, enough so to leave me a little suspect without knowing anyone that's used one. A YouTube woodworker friend doesn't have one, I checked, but they've got errythign else from that marketing circuit.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I saw something where people are repurposing used or refurbished Electric Vehicle batteries to make their own powerwalls. Also saw were there have been catastrophic failures
    This is something I have planned, but I have an old block building on my property that's ideal for the purpose. I don't think most insurance companies would be too thrilled with it otherwise.

thought this might be relevant to the thread...

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    thought this might be relevant to the thread...

These new systems make it a lot easier.

I'm currently running my shop off grid- doing it with a bank of 12V AGM batteries, a big sine inverter, and solar.

It will be interesting to see how long these new systems last with a constant charge/discharge.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List