Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Winning with the Manurhin

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_8969

This was one of the guns that was used in the GIGN assault on the flight by Theirry Prungnaud, who killed two of the hostage takers with this MR73 while getting shot by an AK and getting lightly blown up by a grenade, which also damaged the gun.
    One of the most hilarious turns of phrase I've ever read on here.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Well now that this in GD, there’s nothing in the Manurhin’s design that couldn’t be done more efficiently by using modern parts sourcing and manufacturing methods, based on my 15+ years of actual consulting with product development in the gun industry.

I love it because it’s still made like it’s 1973, but it’s 2021 and the design isn’t particularly special from an engineering standpoint. It could be reproduced more efficiently using modern methods and parts.
    The dude has quit preaching and gone to meddling as the old lady said about the preacher.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Well, since it is in General Discussion I can post this directed at @jetfire:

Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this:

Attachment 74487
    My bad. I thought everyone got the 1994 memo. With due deference to Robert Neville’s dying thought, I Am Usenet Legend.

In my defense, I submit that winning an argument against me is piss easy. Stick to what you know, employ logic, and back it with evidence. As Osgood Fielding III wisely observed, nobody’s perfect. Sooner or later I’ll say something stupid, which you can demolish with data and reason. And I promise to acknowledge your victory.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    My bad. I thought everyone got the 1994 memo. With due deference to Robert Neville’s dying thought, I Am Usenet Legend.

In my defense, I submit that winning an argument against me is piss easy. Stick to what you know, employ logic, and back it with evidence. As Osgood Fielding III wisely observed, nobody’s perfect. Sooner or later I’ll say something stupid, which you can demolish with data and reason. And I promise to acknowledge your victory.
    I'm just joking with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    there's a line, and I hope everyone can see that we've crossed it.
    OK, Walter.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yeah, but the more efficiently produced one wouldn't be as cool.
    Right? "How to turn a Manurhin into a S&W" is boring.

The panache is the point. It isn't supposed to be eminently practical. Try to make it so is nonsense. Practical is "get a Glock" not "make a more cost efficient, full-size 6-shot revolver in 2021".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well now that this in GD, there’s nothing in the Manurhin’s design that couldn’t be done more efficiently by using modern parts sourcing and manufacturing methods, based on my 15+ years of actual consulting with product development in the gun industry.

I love it because it’s still made like it’s 1973, but it’s 2021 and the design isn’t particularly special from an engineering standpoint. It could be reproduced more efficiently using modern methods and parts.
    I absolutely agree. But... woulda-coulda-shoulda.

We can't even get S&W and Ruger to un-f themselves and actually build guns that are as good as they are designed to be. And why should they? S&W just had the first billion-dollar year by a small-arms company. So until some enterprising capitalist steps up to build the Tikka of revolvers, we're stuck with hand-selecting guns that can be brought into serviceable condition and returning them to the factory as many times as necessary to get them un-f'ed. Or buying Manurhins and Korths.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

They tried to "modernize" in 1993 and 1996. Not many of those to be found on the street.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Right? "How to turn a Manurhin into a S&W" is boring.

The panache is the point. It isn't supposed to be eminently practical. Try to make it so is nonsense. Practical is "get a Glock" not "make a more cost efficient, full-size 6-shot revolver in 2021".
    Exactly. The Manurhin is interesting partly because it’s like a time machine, and also because it really does work quite remarkably well.

These Manurhin threads are a lot more interesting when certain people are on ignore. A lot more informative too.

User Tag List