Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Winning with the Manurhin

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I’ve owned a few samples of both and all I can say is:

Yes, but the Match Champion. Unless you really want a 7 shot. Or you want a barrel length not offered in MC format. If you just want a current production, 4” barreled, medium frame, 357 magnum revolver; it’s gonna be damn hard to beat the MC.
    Thanks, yeah somehow in my lizard brain world a revolver must have six rounds, so seven would be weird. The one I am looking at is a model 1754 with a 4.2" barrel.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  11.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I sent a blued Ruger down the road when I got serious about how much work was needed de-burring and de-sharpening edges, and due to it being a blued gun, the resulting situation of living with cold blue touch up forever or getting it reblued, which would cost way too much to make sense. I was also annoyed that the dovetail for the Novak front sight was machined in a way that Novak's site says is seriously incorrect, as have been all the Novak-front-sight Rugers I've inspected, and there was no way to fix that without a new barrel that Ruger hasn't already mismachined. You're not getting one of those from Ruger, so you would have to have it made. All told, unkittening it would likely easily have added up to something close to the cost of a Manurhin. At least if you start with a stainless Ruger, you can skip the bluing issues, and then it might kinda make sense.
    See above.

This would be my first handgun purchase "just because". I like the look of Ruger revolvers, for a variety of reasons. I was gifted a Ruger stainless convertible in .38/9mm, and shot it for a while, but in the end because:reasons I gave it back. Sometime in the distant past, I was living on a family farm at the time, and the household had what I am almost positive was a Ruger "Security Six" revolver that I shot a few times. It was fun. And of course I have had an LCR as a BUG for quite a while now, which I really like.

And emotionally, there's something about the whole shooting experience is just...cool. A stainless revolver appeals to some small part of my brain that likes shiny, heavy, mechanical contraptions. Kinda like I am attracted to old steam trains (I'm probably not explaining this well.)

Anyway, thanks for letting me drift the thread a bit.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-19-2021 at 05:06 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Match Champion have similar issues? @jetfire
    My MC was basically the same, but because I could touch it with tools and not have to reblue the spot, it was feasible to fix. It came out quite nicely, in fact. Nobody just looking at it would think, "Oh, that's been all worked over," but handling it is like a different gun.

And @RJ, don't forget the elevation-adjustable version of that rear sight you can get from Novak.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My MC was basically the same, but because I could touch it with tools and not have to reblue the spot, it was feasible to fix. It came out quite nicely, in fact. Nobody just looking at it would think, "Oh, that's been all worked over," but handling it is like a different gun.

And @RJ, don't forget the elevation-adjustable version of that rear sight you can get from Novak.
    Same issues with the front sight? I'm planning to convert virtually every fullsize gun I use regularly to a gold line front sight in a Novak cut.

Match Champion have similar issues? @jetfire
    My Super GP100 (the 8 shot 9mm) needed a trip to Cylinder and Slide to correct a gnarly issue with the reset where, well it wouldn't reset sometimes. Sort of a problem in the middle of a stage to suddenly get a dead trigger. That being said, this is the 5th Match Champion/Custom Shop Ruger I've owned, and the first one to have problems out of the box. While it didn't entirely put me off on Rugers, it did make me rethink my "Ruger before S&W" policy a bit.

Same issues with the front sight? I'm planning to convert virtually every fullsize gun I use regularly to a gold line front sight in a Novak cut.
    Yes.

I think the gap on the Lipsey's 5-inch was actually a little worse.
    Not another dime.

Yes.

I think the gap on the Lipsey's 5-inch was actually a little worse.
    Is the dovetail mis-sized or is it the sight blades are under cut to leave the gap?

If it's the latter, no big deal, because I'll be fabricating my front sights from blanks, so it's easy enough to fit them tight. If it's the dovetail that's cut incorrectly that's going to require remachining and that's a pain in the ass.

I assume Novak makes the sights the way they always do.

The sights fit snugly in the dovetail, they just sit too high. Which means the dovetail is cut at the wrong height in the barrel. And you can't really remachine it, because lowering the bottom of the cut brings the sides together; you can't machine metal back onto the tapers. The only way to get it right would be to custom machine a dovetail and sight blade to fit, or else start over with a new barrel that doesn't have a dovetail yet.
    Not another dime.

On my 3".44 I used a Novak cut from Dawson's and do not have the gap. https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cu...-front-sights/

I complained to Ruger about the gap on my 5" and they sent me a gold bead front which fixed 95% of the gap. It went from getting a match book cover under it to a sheet of copier paper is a tight fit.

There is a small gap on my WC model but I feel its not enough to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks, yeah somehow in my lizard brain world a revolver must have six rounds, so seven would be weird. The one I am looking at is a model 1754 with a 4.2" barrel.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  11.9 KB

See above.

This would be my first handgun purchase "just because". I like the look of Ruger revolvers, for a variety of reasons. I was gifted a Ruger stainless convertible in .38/9mm, and shot it for a while, but in the end because:reasons I gave it back. Sometime in the distant past, I was living on a family farm at the time, and the household had what I am almost positive was a Ruger "Security Six" revolver that I shot a few times. It was fun. And of course I have had an LCR as a BUG for quite a while now, which I really like.

And emotionally, there's something about the whole shooting experience is just...cool. A stainless revolver appeals to some small part of my brain that likes shiny, heavy, mechanical contraptions. Kinda like I am attracted to old steam trains (I'm probably not explaining this well.)

Anyway, thanks for letting me drift the thread a bit.
    @RJ

I have two of that exact model of the MC, unmodified except one has rubber Hogue no finger groove grips and one has the factory stocks.

Name:  7F5A4B91-F267-4FBA-A2DD-3D052F7CA577.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  28.9 KB

Here’s a HiTS Revolver Super Test I shot with a standard GP that I no longer have. I normally get a few more points with a Match Champion but for some reason can’t find a pic of a target right now with one of the MCs.

Everyone here knows The Test, right? 10 shots, 10 yards, 10 seconds? Here's the test with the MR73 with a reload. 92 points in like 7 seconds and change.

It's on FB and I can't embed FB videos anymore or something which sucks, here's the link

User Tag List