Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Winning with the Manurhin

Hopefully I will be wrong with this prediction:

Name:  carnac .jpg
Views: 375
Size:  87.3 KB

Of course, Purdy or Holland & Holland could also go full modern as well, but where's the fun in that?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

It's 17 minutes but I try to break down where each revolver sits and what pros/cons each platform has. When I get enough rounds on the MR73 to have a real concrete opinion, I'll do an update.
    Thanks, I finally got a chance to watch this. Couple follow ups?

You mentioned the Colt Python as your "second favorite" revolver; what is the favorite, if you don't mind my asking?

Second, would you change your opinion of the Ruger if you had a regular GP100 vs. the Match Champion? It doesn't seem like the price difference is all that much; so hypothetically speaking, if I (being a casual tinkerer) bought a Ruger it would seem like it makes sense to buy a Match Champion over a "normal" GP100?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Of course, Purdy or Holland & Holland could also go full modern as well, but where's the fun in that?
    Beretta has bought up Holland's. Wonder if that will affect operations and products. I had heard of a Holland's- Beretta years ago, so they were already in cahoots.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

You mentioned the Colt Python as your "second favorite" revolver; what is the favorite, if you don't mind my asking?

Second, would you change your opinion of the Ruger if you had a regular GP100 vs. the Match Champion? It doesn't seem like the price difference is all that much; so hypothetically speaking, if I (being a casual tinkerer) bought a Ruger it would seem like it makes sense to buy a Match Champion over a "normal" GP100?
    I’ve owned a few samples of both and all I can say is:

Yes, but the Match Champion. Unless you really want a 7 shot. Or you want a barrel length not offered in MC format. If you just want a current production, 4” barreled, medium frame, 357 magnum revolver; it’s gonna be damn hard to beat the MC.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Out of the box, the deadass nicest revolver I have ever shot in terms of accuracy and trigger pull is marvelous, bonkers, unhinged Chiappa Rhino Match Master. I wrote it up for SI

RE: the Ruger. I bought a non-MC Ruger recently and it was kind of a mess. It needed a lot more work to get it where I want a revolver to be than I need to put into any of the MC guns I have.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I sent a blued Ruger down the road when I got serious about how much work was needed de-burring and de-sharpening edges, and due to it being a blued gun, the resulting situation of living with cold blue touch up forever or getting it reblued, which would cost way too much to make sense. I was also annoyed that the dovetail for the Novak front sight was machined in a way that Novak's site says is seriously incorrect, as have been all the Novak-front-sight Rugers I've inspected, and there was no way to fix that without a new barrel that Ruger hasn't already mismachined. You're not getting one of those from Ruger, so you would have to have it made. All told, unkittening it would likely easily have added up to something close to the cost of a Manurhin. At least if you start with a stainless Ruger, you can skip the bluing issues, and then it might kinda make sense.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I sent a blued Ruger down the road when I got serious about how much work was needed de-burring and de-sharpening edges, and due to it being a blued gun, the resulting situation of living with cold blue touch up forever or getting it reblued, which would cost way too much to make sense. I was also annoyed that the dovetail for the Novak front sight was machined in a way that Novak's site says is seriously incorrect, as have been all the Novak-front-sight Rugers I've inspected, and there was no way to fix that without a new barrel that Ruger hasn't already mismachined. You're not getting one of those from Ruger, so you would have to have it made. All told, unkittening it would likely easily have added up to something close to the cost of a Manurhin. At least if you start with a stainless Ruger, you can skip the bluing issues, and then it might kinda make sense.
    Match Champion have similar issues? @jetfire

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Well now that this in GD, there’s nothing in the Manurhin’s design that couldn’t be done more efficiently by using modern parts sourcing and manufacturing methods, based on my 15+ years of actual consulting with product development in the gun industry.

I love it because it’s still made like it’s 1973, but it’s 2021 and the design isn’t particularly special from an engineering standpoint. It could be reproduced more efficiently using modern methods and parts.
    This sort of thing has been done many times over. Prominent American examples include SIG-Sauer’s P210A and Remington’s R51. In the EU, the Bundesanzeiger shows Korth Lollar earning a profit by selling modernized imitations of Ratzeburg originals invariably produced at a loss, whereas Manurhin gave up on firearms manufacture following a similar attempt with the MR93.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I'm just joking with you.
    You don’t say.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

User Tag List