Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Winning with the Manurhin

Site Supporter
    I enjoy learning about these guns from everyone who has posted about them much more than I enjoy the personal attacks on each other. While I will not claim to possess the skill level that some here claim to possess or actually do possess, I am an occasional instructor who often works with people who are:

1) Novice shooters.

2) Minors as young as 10 years old.

3) Individuals with carpal tunnel syndrome.

4) Individuals with previous wrist injuries that make shooting more difficult.

5) Elderly individuals.

6) Individuals with small hands.

7) Other individuals with hand strength issues. For example, about 40% of the novice female shooters I have taken shooting for their first time had difficulty with triggers requiring 9 lb. or more of force.

I have spent an increasing amount of time working DA revolver triggers, and the benefit is clear for developing good trigger control. With a good quality revolver, it can be learned, and with practice, is not difficult. I have, on occasion, when shooting a high quality revolver, found that I could shoot better double action than single action.

However, for many shooters, single action shooting is the most appropriate way for them to develop their skills as well as to do much of their shooting.

If some of these shooters, who for whatever reason prefer or need to shoot single action, I would like for them to be able to come here, read and absorb the vast amount of information to be found here (including but not limited to the information posted by participants in this thread) without feeling like they are being ridiculed.

At a time when our right to continue doing what we do is under serious attack, the last think any of us should be doing is pushing people out of the fold.

I understand and appreciate the joke, but many might not see it the same way, and many of them might be people we should be trying not to offend.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I enjoy learning about these guns from everyone who has posted about them much more than I enjoy the personal attacks on each other. While I will not claim to possess the skill level that some here claim to possess or actually do possess, I am an occasional instructor who often works with people who are:

1) Novice shooters.

5) Elderly individuals.

7) Other individuals with hand strength issues. For example, about 40% of the novice female shooters I have taken shooting for their first time had difficulty with triggers requiring 9 lb. or more of force.

I have spent an increasing amount of time working DA revolver triggers, and the benefit is clear for developing good trigger control. With a good quality revolver, it can be learned, and with practice, is not difficult. I have, on occasion, when shooting a high quality revolver, found that I could shoot better double action than single action.

However, for many shooters, single action shooting is the most appropriate way for them to develop their skills as well as to do much of their shooting.

If some of these shooters, who for whatever reason prefer or need to shoot single action, I would like for them to be able to come here, read and absorb the vast amount of information to be found here (including but not limited to the information posted by participants in this thread) without feeling like they are being ridiculed.

At a time when our right to continue doing what we do is under serious attack, the last think any of us should be doing is pushing people out of the fold.

I understand and appreciate the joke, but many might not see it the same way, and many of them might be people we should be trying not to offend.
    I'd like to think that most people are capable of grasping hyperbole, but this forum likes to continually prove my assumptions about people's sense of humor to be incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

1) Novice shooters.

5) Elderly individuals.

Then you can appreciate, that I found it hilariously ironic that the 7 examples you provided fall into the categories of "physically infirmed or suck at shooting" areas...

Bill, I always appreciate your posts here and I know it was unintentional...I can't think of a better post that illustrates that Caleb's point is both hyperbolic and yet has a serious grain of truth to it...

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Maybe in 1988. I'd like to have a moderator split your GIGN stuff off into a different thread so it's not a distraction.
    I've moved some posts to an existing GIGN thread. Since I couldn't know less about these topics, I hope I have selected the correct posts. Please PM me if I foxed things up.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I didn't win anything for this since it was just practice, but man can this gun shoot. Freestyle, 25 yards, double action only (because single action is for the physically infirm and people who suck at shooting), using Federal 130 grain FMJ ammo. That one 8 ruined an otherwise pretty decent group and it's still a 96. This gun definitely has a hundo in it. I bet if I used better ammo and maybe tuned the trigger a skosh...

Attachment 74337
    Are there any characteristics to this gun that could be modified into a more readily available (and cheaper) Colt Python, S&W 686 or Ruger Match Champion? Or is it just pure intrinsic/organic accuracy, design and build quality that can't duplicated? BTW I loved your video on the Colt/Ruger/S&W comparison.

Site Supporter
    Not long before I went to work for the Texas prison system, their pistol team won the National Championship. Each man was a magician with a double action revolver. I studied under two of these men. I soon learned that my double action shooting was more accurate than my single action shooting. The reason was better control of the weapon during firing. I learned how to maintain a constant grip and manipulate the trigger in the same fashion each time I pulled it. And I could perform this task repeatedly while staying on target. I will not say that there is no place for single action shooting in defense situations but will assert that double action technique satisfies these needs. While fooling around along stream or in field, I shoot double action unless I'm using an N frame in .41 or .44 and shooting at a game animal. Even with these revolvers, I sometimes will do stunt shooting by firing them double action at distant targets.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Not long before I went to work for the Texas prison system, their pistol team won the National Championship. Each man was a magician with a double action revolver. I studied under two of these men. I soon learned that my double action shooting was more accurate than my single action shooting. The reason was better control of the weapon during firing. I learned how to maintain a constant grip and manipulate the trigger in the same fashion each time I pulled it. And I could perform this task repeatedly while staying on target. I will not say that there is no place for single action shooting in defense situations but will assert that double action technique satisfies these needs. While fooling around along stream or in field, I shoot double action unless I'm using an N frame in .41 or .44 and shooting at a game animal. Even with these revolvers, I sometimes will do stunt shooting by firing them double action at distant targets.
    I have found something similar. In single action, I will fiddle around with my grip a lot. In DA, I am focused on working the trigger and futz with my grip a lot less.

I've noticed with Cowboy Action Shooters, who are generally a fair lot with a single action, tend to adopt a two-handed grip not unlike what most DA shooters use, except with the off hand thumb flagged up to run the hammer.

Site Supporter
    I think the attraction to shooting revolvers in SA is a product of the autoloader world we live in. Today I watched a YouTube video with Taran Butler going on and on about the new Timney Glock triggers and how they have a wonderful two pound pull. It struck me as completely useless, but the industry conditions people to think that all good triggers are light triggers.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Are there any characteristics to this gun that could be modified into a more readily available (and cheaper) Colt Python, S&W 686 or Ruger Match Champion? Or is it just pure intrinsic/organic accuracy, design and build quality that can't duplicated? BTW I loved your video on the Colt/Ruger/S&W comparison.
    Not really. There’s nothing particularly special about the design itself, where it gets costly is the component selection and extensive hand fitting/assembly. There’s legit like 5 dudes in a workshop in France making all of these, and that is not a cheap process.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Sample of one but the MR73 feels a lot like a well tuned, fitted, and finished K frame. I think you could duplicate that. Granted I've only got a couple hundred rounds through the MR73 so far, but there are Smith and Wessons I've owned, particularly five screw models, I think would stack up to them for overall shootability. All bearing in mind, I'm not the shooter that can wing every scintilla of performance out of a revolver. The unknown that may not be replicatable is durability. Reputationally the MR73's can, and have, withstood full power.357 round counts that would have killed a Smith or Colt. With only a handful of rounds down range, mostly .38 wadcutters given current ammo supplies, I'm not even close to being able to form an opinion there and have to defer to reputation.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

User Tag List