Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Winning with the Manurhin

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I think the attraction to shooting revolvers in SA is a product of the autoloader world we live in. Today I watched a YouTube video with Taran Butler going on and on about the new Timney Glock triggers and how they have a wonderful two pound pull. It struck me as completely useless, but the industry conditions people to think that all good triggers are light triggers.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    And with short resets

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It’s all about pushing the latest gimmick.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Not really. There’s nothing particularly special about the design itself, where it gets costly is the component selection and extensive hand fitting/assembly. There’s legit like 5 dudes in a workshop in France making all of these, and that is not a cheap process.
    I beg to differ. While the short action of the MR73 requires extra mainspring weight, it gains in ergonomics owing to the efficient construction of its rebound slide, based on a 1977 patent by Gilbert Maillard, summarized in this abstract:

Double action revolver having a slider with an opposing or withdrawing spring. The withdrawing spring of the rebounding slider is constituted by elastic arm of which one of the ends is fixed, and is maintained within the frame of the revolver, the other end of such spring being mobile and engaging a curved abutment surface connected to the slider, the point of engagement with said abutment surface varying as a function of the position of the slider in the frame. The slider is provided with rollers for rotation around two parallel axles and roll along a supporting plane surface provided in the frame.
    Name:  US3965603-drawings-page-2.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  29.5 KB

To simplify, the rebound slide of the MR73 moves back and forth on five rollers, propelled by a flat trigger spring externally adjustable for preload, rather than the small internal coil spring of the S&W. Four of the rollers serve to reduce the friction that impeded reciprocal motion, whereas the fifth roller bears on the end of the trigger return spring, to vary its mechanical advantage and stack the hammer-cocking leverage for a more linear double action trigger pull. In the course of pulling the trigger, the contact of the trigger return spring moves upwards on the central roller, with the horizontal component of the radial force exerted by the spring upon trigger through the rebound slide remaining constant throughout its travel. This arrangement is claimed to be optimal for a smooth and linear double action trigger stroke, ending in a sudden hammer release. Consequently, the trigger pull can be fine tuned on the MR73 by preloading the mainspring and the trigger return spring independently.

The trigger pull is set using a flat screwdriver regulating the screw (#62 in the above drawing) to preload the mainspring (#56) that tensions the hammer (#42). The goal here is to ensure reliable ignition with every kind of ammo. Once attained, the trigger spring (#110) on the rebound slide (#56 in the drawing below) is adjusted by turning its adjusting screw (#116) with an Allen key. The goal here is to make sure that the trigger resets after each shot.

Name:  US3965603-drawings-page-3.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  22.9 KB

In this way, the double action trigger stroke can be readily adjusted externally, ranging between a light pull weighing under 7 lbs, and a heavier feel with a stronger reset allowing for a “live trigger” technique with faster cycling at a greater trigger cocking effort, as preferred e.g. by Jerry Miculek.

Tl;dr: A linear double action pull adjustable externally is a design feature of the Manurhin MR73, unmatched by any other revolver.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Tl;dr: A linear double action pull adjustable externally is a design feature of the Manurhin MR73, unmatched by any other revolver.[/QUOTE]

While that is neat, it seems it just incorporates into the design what on other guns requires custom work to achieve. Once set to preference, I doubt most users would change it.
    Does this one feature justify the cost difference between this and other options with custom work included? Especially if the cost is still less for the custom work included.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    I beg to differ.
    K.

But u wrong tho

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    K.

But u wrong tho
    Jerry Moran agrees with me. But surely gamers trump gunsmiths in gun design.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

You keep saying “gamer” like it’s supposed to be an insult in a thread that is quite proudly about gaming. Weird.

Back in the day, I kept hearing about how great and wonderful Jerry Moran was, he must be better than Don Tedford or Reeves Jungkind. So I bought an extra gun and got on his waiting list. And waited and waited. If I inquired he would remind me that patience is a virtue. After several years, it was no reminders at all. I later read in a gunzine that he had changed specialties from revolvers to single shots.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

This is like the old joke about the engineer and the airplane pilot:

Pilot: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
    Engineers: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

___

I
    shot a 99 with a DA revolver in a MSP/Jared Reston class, and unless your gym bag weighs 300 pounds I’m not worried.

Like I said, SA is for the physically infirm and people who suck at shooting

Well I don't think a 97 sucks but to each their own. 99 is really good shooting and I am happy for you. I have been weight lifting for over 30 years and after taking a look at you there is no way you could could even come close to lifting 300 pounds and it's still really doubtful that you could lift anyone's gym bag.

User Tag List